• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to OR

Nate245

imported post

I am moving to OR and I live in AZ here you can carry in the car and have the firearm in the glove box loaded. I am wondering is it the same here? Also Do you have to register the firearm? Thanks have a great day

grishnav

imported post

Nate245 wrote:
I am moving to OR and I live in AZ here you can carry in the car and have the firearm in the glove box loaded. I am wondering is it the same here? Also Do you have to register the firearm? Thanks have a great day
Hi Nate! Welcome to Oregon!

Oregon is quite permissive with a CHL, a little more restrictive without.

Assumming you have a CHL...

You may carry as many firearms on your person or in your vehicle as you like, loaded or unloaded, chambered or unchambered, and even NFA weapons with permission from your local sheriff. You are more than welcome to carry a loaded firearm in your glovebox if you so choose as long as you have a CHL.

One thing to keep in mind: If you ever let anybody borrow your vehicle, make sure they also have a CHL or make sure you remove your firearm.

Without a CHL, you may not carry any weapon concealed -- whether in your vehicle or on your person -- period. You may openly carry in most places, but not schools, public buildings, and cities and counties that have chosen to restrict it.

So go get your CHL just as soon as you can. $65 bucks and shall issue gives you (legal) permission to carry in most places. (Of course, private property owners always have to right to override your ability to carry.)