• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL alert on Fairfax Arrest

67GT390FB

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
Also why don't you merge my previous thread with this one instead of simply closing it. there were some salient points made there that would contribute to this thread.
Merged the two... apologise for any difficulty in looking for one name when the other is removed on the thread list. ;)

Title changed to spot it easier.
thanks

LEO 229

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
well considering this quote from the alert and thus directly from Philip Van Cleave

"I(that would be philip)have already talked to my high-level contact with the Fairfax County PD about this entire situation and the gun owner has filed a formal
complaint."

I would again say this is most likely a true account. So maybe you are the "high-level contact with the Fairfax County PD " and are just playing dumb to protect your identity.:p

I will have to agree with you there then... I did miss that line and I cannot explain how.. :lol:

One thing to remember is this.... one officer attempting to get these charges does NOT represent the entire department.

It would appear that one officer feels hollow point bullets are illegal and does not know how to make a phone call.

I find it hard to believe that he was allowed to be arrested and taken before a magistrate while a supervisor was on scene.

But again... I will reserve the right to not believe everything I read without having something to back up the claim. ;)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I've been trying to track down additional information on this since I got the alert early this morning.

Apparently Philip has talked to him and that gives the story all the credibility it needs. BUT.....I think Philip got all his information from the NC fellow who is a friend of a member.

If Philip says it happened, I'll take it to the bank. But the actual facts are in question right now because I don't think Philip has verified them.

I'll be honest, one cop, I believe. He could be having a bad day, could be drunk, could be from NJ....but two patrol officers and a Sergent????????:question::question::question:

If the facts are as presented, get a rope. If not, we will look pretty silly.

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I've been trying to track down additional information on this since I got the alert early this morning.

Apparently Philip has talked to him and that gives the story all the credibility it needs. BUT.....I think Philip got all his information from the NC fellow who is a friend of a member.

If Philip says it happened, I'll take it to the bank. But the actual facts are in question right now because I don't think Philip has verified them.

I'll be honest, one cop, I believe. He could be having a bad day, could be drunk, could be from NJ....but two patrol officers and a Sergent????????:question::question::question:

Getting the details third hand is not good. We all did the test in grade school...

Say something to one person and by the time the 13th person repeats it... it is not even what was said.

I believe some of the stuff could have actually happened.... but the details as given just seem to far out to be true. I feel some embellishment has happened.

possumboy

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
He will know you have a permit as it will show up when running your name in VCIN.

You are not required to tell, but if you do and he asks for your permit and ID.. you must show both to him.

You required to show it only if you are carrying a concealed handgun.

If you are not carrying, or carrying in a way that does not require you to havea permit, you do not have to show your permit and ID.

18.2-308 - H.
"The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer. "

PT111

imported post

peter nap wrote:

That is the way I see it. Something is missing if it is just they all ate LSD laced doughnuts right before this happened. One maybe but three idiot LEO's is a little much without some confirmation.

LEO 229

imported post

possumboy wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
He will know you have a permit as it will show up when running your name in VCIN.

You are not required to tell, but if you do and he asks for your permit and ID.. you must show both to him.

You required to show it only if you are carrying a concealed handgun.

If you are not carrying, or carrying in a way that does not require you to havea permit, you do not have to show your permit and ID.

18.2-308 - H.
"The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer. "
OK.. you got me there...

But I am not sure WHY you are going to claim you are carrying a gun and not actually carry one. :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

PT111 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

That is the way I see it. Something is missing if it is just they all ate LSD laced doughnuts right before this happened. One maybe but three idiot LEO's is a little much without some confirmation.

I can see two new rookies making the mistake.... But to have a supervisor with a few years on and has taken the promotion process where his knowledge is tested is there too allowing it to happen?? Hard to believe. ;)

We shall see... VCDL.. please post some names! What is the harm?

Xeni

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
PT111 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I can see two new rookies making the mistake.... But to have a supervisor with a few years on and has taken the promotion process where his knowledge is tested is there too allowing it to happen?? Hard to believe. ;)

We shall see... VCDL.. please post some names! What is the harm?

Before I bring out my pitchforks I'd like to see some solid information myself. I mean, if it's proven that the story is indeed true this gentleman from NC just hit the FFX lottery. :shock:

LEO 229

imported post

Xeni wrote:
Before I bring out my pitchforks I'd like to see some solid information myself. I mean, if it's proven that the story is indeed true this gentleman from NC just hit the FFX lottery. :shock:
True... he might be getting paid.

The police US wide have the authority to arrest anyone for any crime and being them before a magistrate. But in Virginia... the state requires you to release on a summons where possible. There are exceptions to this rule.

Now... IMO... the officer could have taken him before the magistrate for the traffic violation so he couldcovered there as far as false arrests go. He asked for warrants on the ammo and the concealed weapon that were both turned down.

He issued a summons after the other charges did not pan out.

So if all we read was true.... he is in some trouble for not releasing on a summons.

Again people..... this is the action of one officer and not the department or every department in Virginia or even the US for that matter. :cool:

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

In the alert, Philip wrote: "I have already talked to my high-level contact with the Fairfax CountyPD about this entire situation and the gun owner has filed a formal
complaint".

This is not the same as confirming any individual element of the story, but I hope (and trust) that Philip would not releasethis information unlesshe was confident that thebasicelements were true(ie:confirming that there was a stop, there was a trip to the magistrate, an internal affairs complaint was filed, etc).

I doubt Philip would put VCDL's reputation on the line without any verification whatsoever....

In my incident with a Henrico officer, I immediately faxed Philip copies of everything - my internal affairs complaint, names,the dispatch log I FOIA'd from the PD, etc.

PT111

imported post

I don't think that anyone is doubting that something weird happened but there are usually several sides to any story and seldom do they agree. This one is just really out there so I think that we should hear more details before getting out the pitchforks as someone put it. If it happened as said then there should be at least three openings in the Fairfax PD.

LEO 229

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I don't think that anyone is doubting that something weird happened but there are usually several sides to any story and seldom do they agree. This one is just really out there so I think that we should hear more details before getting out the pitchforks as someone put it. If it happened as said then there should be at least three openings in the Fairfax PD.
Agreed...

Something happened... and at the moment we have one side as it is told by a friend of the person that was there.

If anyone is looking for a job as a cop... there may be some openings in the next year.. :p

nova

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
If anyone is looking for a job as a cop... there may be some openings in the next year.. :p
Only if I get one of those FXPD Silverado pickups...I'm more of a truck guy :p

Sheriff

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
The magistrate looked at the charges and told the police officers that
they had just made a false arrest.
I just love it when a competent magistrate speaks. :lol:

Unfortunately, the best magistrate we ever had in our area, and my best friend,retired a few months ago. I have personally watched him refuse warrants to police officers on many occasions over the last three decades. Many forfalse arrests in gun violations. The police actually stand there and argue with the magistrate. Ohh, but it gets better.... it's like icing on the cake when the cop(s) tells the magistrate to hold on, that the cop's supervisor will be by shortly to explain the law to the magistrate. I usually cough and choke until I can get outside the building real quick and roll around on the ground laughing!

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I find it hard to believe that he was allowed to be arrested and taken before a magistrate while a supervisor was on scene.
Why do you find it hard to believe? Do you not recall the tale I told you in PM the other night? And the fact that the supervisor on duty and at the scenewas FIRED!

It happens. :celebrate

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Skeptic wrote:
These ignorant fascists in Fairfax need a serious lesson. Fairfax government needs to pay through the nose.
The problem is the government does not pay the taxpayers that did nothing wrong pay.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hokie wrote:
The problem is the government does not pay the taxpayers that did nothing wrong pay.

Good point!

Take it out of the Board of Supervisor's operating budget. Maybe their next lobbying delegation to the General Assembly wouldbe fiscally restrained from pushing for no guns in public buildings.

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Why do you find it hard to believe? Do you not recall the tale I told you in PM the other night? And the fact that the supervisor on duty and at the scenewas FIRED!

It happens. :celebrate
Maybe down south where you are located... but it is rare for this to happen here. ;)

The news up here reports on all the departments. Fairfax is not one that has this type of activity.