• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Size Matters

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9658048?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

Size mattersPublic Forum LetterArticle Last Updated:06/21/2008 08:35:00 AM MDT
var requestedWidth = 0; if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } The other night I listened to the advocates for open-carry weapons before the West Valley City Council ("Gun toters want cops to holster harassment," Tribune, June 18). What's the big difference between concealing a weapon and showing it to the world? Intimidation, pure and simple. If those people are not aware of how frightening it can be to see someone other than an officer of the law walking around with death strapped to their hips, they are experiencing severe cases of denial.
I understand that a .40-caliber semiautomatic would take some doing to conceal, unless the owner was wearing a heavy jacket. If a smaller handgun doesn't feel sufficiently powerful, then counseling may be the solution to feelings of inadequacy.

John R. Peterson
Salt Lake City

(emphasis mine)

Legba

imported post

I guess I'm not aware of how frightening it can be to see someone other than a cop with a gun strapped on. Doesn't bother me. Idiot drivers with seat belts strapped on are toting death around, as far as I'm concerned. And as for my inadequacies, if I wanted to intimidate people, I'd OC a FAL or a BAR and skip handguns altogether.

-ljp

falcon1

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
I understand that a .40-caliber semiautomatic would take some doing to conceal, unless the owner was wearing a heavy jacket. If a smaller handgun doesn't feel sufficiently powerful, then counseling may be the solution to feelings of inadequacy."

John R. Peterson
Salt Lake City
I suspect Mr. Peterson is engaging in projection of his own feelings of inadequacy...
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.”--Sigmund Freud

MetalChris

imported post

falcon1 wrote:
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.”--Sigmund Freud
Not that I don't disagree with you, but:

Source wrote:
  • This is not is not a statement that appears in any translation of any of Freud's works. It is a paraphrase of a statement from the essay "Guns, Murders, and the Constitution" (February 1990) by Don B. Kates, Jr. where Kates summarizes his views of passages in Dreams in Folklore (1958) by Freud and David E. Oppenheim, while disputing statements by Emmanuel Tanay in "Neurotic Attachment to Guns" in a 1976 edition of The Fifty Minute Hour: A Collection of True Psychoanalytic Tales (1955) by Robert Mitchell Lindner:
Dr. Tanay is perhaps unaware of — in any event, he does not cite — other passages more relevant to his argument. In these other passages Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons. The probative importance that ought to be attached to the views of Freud is, of course, a matter of opinion. The point here is only that those views provide no support for the penis theory of gun ownership.
Due to misreading of this essay and its citations, this paraphrase of an opinion about Freud's ideas has been wrongly attributed to Freud himself, and specifically to his 10th Lecture "Symbolism in Dreams" in General Introduction to Psychoanalysis on some internet forum pages: alt.quotations, uk.politics.guns, talk.politics.guns, can.talk.guns , etc
Oops, sorry...didn't see the posts above mine already pointing this out.

/beats dead horse some more ;)

tattedupboy

imported post

All I can say is wow! Once again, an anti's propensity to associate guns with evil rears its ugly head. I suppose if they're going to be scared by the sight of a gun on the hip of someone who is not a police officer, there's nothing any of us can do to change that. That does not mean, however, that any of us should change our preferences to accomodate the sensitivities of someone who doesn't like it. I could see his point if all open carriers walked around flaunting their guns at people, but since they do not, he is going to be scared no matter how peacefully open carriers exercise their rights.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So he shows a complete ignorance of firearms besides knowing that .40 is a caliber in which handguns are made and that there are smaller calibers. He obviously has no knowledge that you can buy a large, difficult to conceal .22 and a smallish, pretty easily concealed .40.

Beyond that, his perceptions are misguided. I think that most of us, and I know I do for sure, go out of our way to NOT be intimidating to the general public when we carry. To intentionally be intimidating due to the carry of a firearm could be construed as brandishing most places and not something over which we want to be arrested.

I too wonder for what they think women who OC are compensating if they think that argument compelling. I actually cannot think of any time I OC'd for any reason other than personal comfort. If finding a 2lb chunk of steel inside your waistband and digging into your hip or thigh or not liking to wear an untucked shirt or finding wearing a jacket, vest or outer shirt in 90°+ weather with 90% humidity uncomfortable and therefore preferring to OC is compensating for penis size or other feeling of inadequacy rather than just staying comfortable in the heat then color me compensated. I guess I could argue I am compensating for the erosion and infringement of my constitutional rights by an out of control government.

Giustiniani

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
If finding a 2lb chunk of steel inside your waistband anddigging into your hip or thigh or not liking to wear an untucked shirt or finding wearing a jacket, vest or outer shirt in 90°+ weather with 90% humidity uncomfortable and therefore preferring to OC is compensating for penis size or other feeling of inadequacy rather than just staying comfortable in the heat then color me compensated. I guess I could argue I am compensating for the erosion and infringement of my constitutional rights by an out of control government.

+1

I know personally I am not a very good knife figher, swordsman, or brawler. If I was, perhaps I would carry one of those instead. Now that I think of it, I do carry a pocket knife. The pocket knife compensates for my lack of sharp appendages that can cut open boxes and such, and the gun would compensate for the fact that I can't knife-fight very well.

I also drive an automatic, to compensate for my lack of prowess at manuals.. and I compensate for my inability to know exactly what time it is via the sun by wearing a watch.

I love when people bring up the 'inadequacy' lines. They are just suffering from self-denial in the fact that they themselves most likely have personal issues. Unfortunately these people base their opinions on emotions, and don't bother to look at the facts - gun owners help to reduce violent crimes being one. And added to this is the fact that these people are so narrow-minded about these issues that they just scream 'BURN THE WITCH' and then turn back to their TV.

Gwee