• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leather OWB Holster for XD SC

Harvdog

imported post

I am currently carrying my XD SC 40 in a Galco M5X Matrix thermoplastic paddle holster. I am looking for a leather holster as I carry alot in a suit so I want something a little nicer looking. I like the convenience of a paddle holster in case I do need to disarm for any reason. I like the look for the forward cant but not sure how well it would work for me since I am a bit "round" in the mid section. :D

Any suggestions?

G

imported post

Yes, try these folks http://kdholsters.com/owb-defend.phpThey do first rate custom work and I have ordered from them before. I got two Eagle Defender OWB for my P220 and SP101 which I wear when I CC or OC. I also got a belt from them which works great and holds my weapon hight and tight...

Good Luck...

Dave

LongRider

imported post

Dukester wrote:
Yes, try these folks http://kdholsters.com/owb-defend.phpThey do first rate custom work and I have ordered from them before. I got two Eagle Defender OWB for my P220 and SP101 which I wear when I CC or OC. I also got a belt from them which works great and holds my weapon hight and tight...

Good Luck...
Dave
Plus on on that I said on another thread Maybe not be as relevant to some here as these are IWB as well as OWB holsters, but thought I would share anyway. As these are some very fine hand crafted quality holsters. My Eagle defender does not have a thumb-break/retention strap but K&D will add that for $10
My new K&D Holsters arrived, last Tuesday, Finally. Kevin kept me posted on the status of my order the whole time. Called me twice with questions about my order & when to send him my LaserLyte and again when my number came up. E-mailed me when it shipped with a tracking number. As usual with Kevin's customer service is top notch.
I have the K&D Maverick Defender which is an excellent adjustable cant holster. Comfortable as can be with great retention but I wanted something for deeper concealment during the summer months while wearing lighter cloths and an OWB for winter when I have layers of cloths on. So for the summer I ordered a Dakota Defender for both the Bersa Thunder and the XD.45 compact. Than an OWB Eagle Defender for the XD.45 compact for the winter. Kevin customized his designs to accommodate the Laserlyte Laser and TruGlo sights on my XD.45. My preferred cant is 43 degrees and Kevin did adjust the cant on the Eagle Defender as best he could without dramatically altering the design at my request. If I had asked for a complete custom he would have done that but I liked the way the Eagle Defender looks and its reputation for holding the gun close to your body.
All three of these holsters are perfect all of the edges are evenly cleanly cut and bonded. Every single stitch is right were it should be even and straight. The boning inside and out is incredible the pics do not do them any justice at all. The Bersa holster even has the Bersa logo imprint on the inside of the holster .
My biggest concern was is these would not be as comfortable as my Maverick Defender. With the Maverick Defender I am able to set the cant exactly at the most comfortable angle for carry and draw. I really do like the draw from the Maverick as the grip is right where my hand naturally drops so that the grip just drops into my hand.
This week I have worn the XD Dakota Defender, although I have the Eagle Defender on now. I think I like the Dakota Defender The suede sweat panel on the Dakota Defender does make a difference in comfort and feels great against my skin. Especially in the heat. The wings do distribute the weight nicely very comfortably and I can adjust the cant pretty much to where I like it and set the gun as deeply into my pants as I want. Once I found the spot and cant that feels right it disappeared from sight and my conscious awareness. It is only when I think about it do I notice that I have a gun on at all. No matter what I was doing walking running going about my daily activities, driving it is barely noticeable and rarely if ever needed adjustment throughout the day. The draw is very stiff the holster grabs the gun like a vice. Well, duhh the holster is new and as I said the boning is impeccable every nook and cranny of the gun is molded into the holster like leather stretch pants or a second skin for the XD and so is very snug. After break in I expect this to be a great carry with good solid retention. Now the Eagle Defender Wow I love the look of this thing. Kevin set the shark grain so that it follows the contours of the gun. Everything about this holster says quality craftsmanship. It really deserves a nicer looking gun than an XD. Like a custom 1911. I am glad I did not ask for a complete redesign of the Eagle Defender. Its is a simple elegant minimalist look. The shark skin is subtle and gives it just enough pop to separate it from a run of the mill holster. Kevin did a great job adjusting it to suit my needs. It too will need some break in as it wants to pull my pants off when I draw but again I think that is a good sign especially in an OWB without any retention strap. I expect that it will hold my gun securely during most daily activities and will report more on it when I have a chance to wear it more. So far today sitting here it is pretty comfortable.
Hope the pics look OK I have been having trouble with my monitor so let me know if they look screwy
B.jpg

B1.jpg

Bersa Dakota Defender
XD.jpg

XD1.jpg

XD.45 Dakota Defender
XDE.jpg

XDE_1.jpg

XD.45 Eagle Defender
F.jpg

My K&D Family

Harvdog

imported post

Thanks for the information.

I have recently found the Don Hume "Open Top" on Pistolgear.com for a really good price.

Anyone using the Hume "Open Top" with an XD subcompact?

Pix?