Thread: Grand Rapids Open Carry Meet

Post imported post

So I am proposing that we start working on a date for a Grand Rapids Open Carry meeting. There seems to be alot of talk about it, and we might as well plan it!

If we pick a date, I think we should be able to reserve a pavilion at whatever park we pick to use. I think Ah Nab Awen might be good. Its central to the city, and on the River. Near the Ford Museum for those who dont know. Lots of foot traffic in the area. Or Veterans Park, which is center city area, right near the PD.

I am thinking either the 12th or 19th of July. Or should we do it later in July or in August?

SO FAR, IT LOOKS LIKE THE 12TH IS POPULAR
    Now the question is, should we do John Ball Park, since they have a anti-gun rule on public property?

Post imported post

12th would be best for me. I always have another group that meets on the third Saturday.

Rod

Post imported post

anyday but the 8th through the 10th works for me

Post imported post

Furner wrote:
    So I am proposing that we start working on a date for a Grand Rapids Open Carry meeting. There seems to be alot of talk about it, and we might as well plan it!

If we pick a date, I think we should be able to reserve a pavilion at whatever park we pick to use. I think Ah Nab Awen might be good. Its central to the city, and on the River. Near the Ford Museum for those who dont know. Lots of foot traffic in the area. Or Veterans Park, which is center city area, right near the PD.

I am thinking either the 12th or 19th of July. Or should we do it later in July or in August?
    Both are good choices but neither has picnic tables to set at. I even wonder if they have bench's.

Post imported post

Sailorwatson wrote:
    Furner wrote:

Both are good choices but neither has picnic tables to set at. I even wonder if they have bench's.
    I think Ah Nab Awen has picnic tables. I have seen groups meeting there for picnics there before. But maybe they brought their own. Ill scout it out.

Post imported post

The 12th works for me.

Post imported post

12th would work for me. I'll try to get over to Grand Rapids to hang out with you guys.

Post imported post

I called parks dept, they said there are some tables at Ah Nab Awen, but they are scattered. I will go down later today and check it out.
    Heartside park does have lots of picnic tables, but the only foot traffic is from bums.
    There is also the park at John Ball Park Zoo. The park is a county park and there is alot of traffic through there on the weekends and there is plenty of parking. We might have to get there early to reserve a table. But that is an option.
    I think ill get on my bike or something this afternoon and see what I can find out about it.

Post imported post

Furner wrote:
    I called parks dept, they said there are some tables at Ah Nab Awen, but they are scattered. I will go down later today and check it out.
    Heartside park does have lots of picnic tables, but the only foot traffic is from bums.
    There is also the park at John Ball Park Zoo. The park is a county park and there is alot of traffic through there on the weekends and there is plenty of parking. We might have to get there early to reserve a table. But that is an option.
    I think ill get on my bike or something this afternoon and see what I can find out about it.
    Hey, bums should be educated as well.

Post imported post

John Ball Park does have a "rule" against possession of firearms. So I guess that could be taken either way. As an invitation to exercise our legal rights, or we could avoid that location.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Furner wrote:
    John Ball Park does have a "rule" against possession of firearms. So I guess that could be taken either way. As an invitation to exercise our legal rights, or we could avoid that location.
    Is the Zoo Park Public property? If so preemption comes into play. But if it's owned by a private group then no go on guns.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    Is the Zoo Park Public property? If so preemption comes into play. But if it's owned by a private group then no go on guns.
    It is county property. It appears they are trying to use the same non-existant legal loophole that Holland does. They transfer park ownership to "The County Board of Commissioners". Im planning on sending a letter. They are plan and simple county property.
    The address of their policy guide is here http://www.accesskent.com/YourGovern..._Ordinance.pdf

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Furner wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    It is county property. It appears they are trying to use the same non-existant legal loophole that Holland does. They transfer park ownership to "The County Board of Commissioners". Im planning on sending a letter. They are plan and simple county property.
    The address of their policy guide is here http://www.accesskent.com/YourGovern..._Ordinance.pdf
    Huh? The commissioners are a local public body and thus preempted.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    Yep. Now that I think about it though, it was Ottawa county. They passed an ord in 2001 that prohibited possession. Here are the minutes. Its on the first page
    http://www.miottawa.org/Minutes/BOC/2001/CJ072301.pdf
    They later enacted an ordinance. They dont have public text of their ords though, so I cant tell for sure if it is still in effect.

EDIT: Here are the minutes where they enacted the ord.

Post imported post

Furner wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    Yep. Now that I think about it though, it was Ottawa county. They passed an ord in 2001 that prohibited possession. Here are the minutes. Its on the first page
    They later enacted an ordinance. They dont have public text of their ords though, so I cant tell for sure if it is still in effect.
    Sounds like a great place to hold an OC picnic to dispell any myths.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    I tend to agree.

Post imported post

Furner wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Furner wrote:
    I tend to agree.
    The new headline will be - gun owners open carry to protest illegal gun ban in zoo!

Post imported post

12th is a good day for me also. I was hoping to attend the Burton gathering, but I had a prior engagement. Looking forward to this meet.

Post imported post

Can we go ahead and say that the 12th, at John Ball Park is a go? If so, I will start a new thread that hopefully we can get tacked.

Post imported post

Furner wrote:
    Can we go ahead and say that the 12th, at John Ball Park is a go? If so, I will start a new thread that hopefully we can get tacked.
    Go ahead and start it anyway.. it sounds like the 12th is good for a lot of people.

Post imported post

The sooner you set a date, the better it is for people to plan. I've noticed that people tend to plan thier summer dates more in advance than other times of year.

Post imported post

+1 We have only 2 weeks to make plans and determine who will attend.

That effn' $4per gallon does not help the cause one bit.

New Here

I am new to the group but I am interested in attending the meeting to learn more and have at least 1 other maybe more from the grand rapids area interested also so when a date is set I will be there.

MOC is working one right now. Stay tuned for details.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)