• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Rapids Open Carry Meet

Furner

imported post

So I am proposing that we start working on a date for a Grand Rapids Open Carry meeting. There seems to be alot of talk about it, and we might as well plan it!

If we pick a date, I think we should be able to reserve a pavilion at whatever park we pick to use. I think Ah Nab Awen might be good. Its central to the city, and on the River. Near the Ford Museum for those who dont know. Lots of foot traffic in the area. Or Veterans Park, which is center city area, right near the PD.

I am thinking either the 12th or 19th of July. Or should we do it later in July or in August?

SO FAR, IT LOOKS LIKE THE 12TH IS POPULAR
Now the question is, should we do John Ball Park, since they have a anti-gun rule on public property?

Sailorwatson

imported post

Furner wrote:
So I am proposing that we start working on a date for a Grand Rapids Open Carry meeting. There seems to be alot of talk about it, and we might as well plan it!

If we pick a date, I think we should be able to reserve a pavilion at whatever park we pick to use. I think Ah Nab Awen might be good. Its central to the city, and on the River. Near the Ford Museum for those who dont know. Lots of foot traffic in the area. Or Veterans Park, which is center city area, right near the PD.

I am thinking either the 12th or 19th of July. Or should we do it later in July or in August?
Both are good choices but neither has picnic tables to set at. I even wonder if they have bench's.

Furner

imported post

Sailorwatson wrote:
Furner wrote:

Both are good choices but neither has picnic tables to set at. I even wonder if they have bench's.

I think Ah Nab Awen has picnic tables. I have seen groups meeting there for picnics there before. But maybe they brought their own. Ill scout it out.

Furner

imported post

I called parks dept, they said there are some tables at Ah Nab Awen, but they are scattered. I will go down later today and check it out.
Heartside park does have lots of picnic tables, but the only foot traffic is from bums.
There is also the park at John Ball Park Zoo. The park is a county park and there is alot of traffic through there on the weekends and there is plenty of parking. We might have to get there early to reserve a table. But that is an option.
I think ill get on my bike or something this afternoon and see what I can find out about it.

SQLtables

imported post

Furner wrote:
I called parks dept, they said there are some tables at Ah Nab Awen, but they are scattered. I will go down later today and check it out.
Heartside park does have lots of picnic tables, but the only foot traffic is from bums.
There is also the park at John Ball Park Zoo. The park is a county park and there is alot of traffic through there on the weekends and there is plenty of parking. We might have to get there early to reserve a table. But that is an option.
I think ill get on my bike or something this afternoon and see what I can find out about it.
Hey, bums should be educated as well. :cool:

Furner

imported post

John Ball Park does have a "rule" against possession of firearms. So I guess that could be taken either way. As an invitation to exercise our legal rights, or we could avoid that location.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Furner wrote:
John Ball Park does have a "rule" against possession of firearms. So I guess that could be taken either way. As an invitation to exercise our legal rights, or we could avoid that location.
Is the Zoo Park Public property? If so preemption comes into play. But if it's owned by a private group then no go on guns.

Furner

imported post

Venator wrote:
Furner wrote:
Is the Zoo Park Public property? If so preemption comes into play. But if it's owned by a private group then no go on guns.
It is county property. It appears they are trying to use the same non-existant legal loophole that Holland does. They transfer park ownership to "The County Board of Commissioners". Im planning on sending a letter. They are plan and simple county property.
The address of their policy guide is here http://www.accesskent.com/YourGovernment/CountyClerk/pdfs/Parks_Ordinance.pdf

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Furner wrote:
Venator wrote:
Furner wrote:
It is county property. It appears they are trying to use the same non-existant legal loophole that Holland does. They transfer park ownership to "The County Board of Commissioners". Im planning on sending a letter. They are plan and simple county property.
The address of their policy guide is here http://www.accesskent.com/YourGovernment/CountyClerk/pdfs/Parks_Ordinance.pdf
Huh? The commissioners are a local public body and thus preempted.

Furner

imported post

Mike wrote:
Furner wrote:
Venator wrote:
Furner wrote:
Yep. Now that I think about it though, it was Ottawa county. They passed an ord in 2001 that prohibited possession. Here are the minutes. Its on the first page
http://www.miottawa.org/Minutes/BOC/2001/CJ072301.pdf
They later enacted an ordinance. They dont have public text of their ords though, so I cant tell for sure if it is still in effect.

EDIT: Here are the minutes where they enacted the ord.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Furner wrote:
Mike wrote:
Furner wrote:
Venator wrote:
Furner wrote:
Yep. Now that I think about it though, it was Ottawa county. They passed an ord in 2001 that prohibited possession. Here are the minutes. Its on the first page
They later enacted an ordinance. They dont have public text of their ords though, so I cant tell for sure if it is still in effect.
Sounds like a great place to hold an OC picnic to dispell any myths.

Furner

imported post

Mike wrote:
Furner wrote:
Mike wrote:
Furner wrote:
Venator wrote:
Furner wrote:
I tend to agree.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Furner wrote:
Mike wrote:
Furner wrote:
Mike wrote:
Furner wrote:
Venator wrote:
Furner wrote:
I tend to agree.
The new headline will be - gun owners open carry to protest illegal gun ban in zoo!