• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Primary and other elections in Utah, tomorrow, Tuesday 6/24

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Just a reminder to everyone that tomorrow, Tuesday June 24 we have various elections here in Utah.

Primary elections are getting the most press and there may be some races where RKBA is a direct factor.

I note that in order to vote in the GOP primaries, you will need to register as a Republican. If you are currently registered as un-affiliated, you can change that at the polling place tomorrow. If you are currently registered as a democrat or a member of some other party, you will not be allowed to register as a republican. I believe the democrats allow anyone to vote in their rare primary races.

Additionally, the Jordan School District is holding non-partisan elections for school board members. These are NOT primary races, but rather special elections. Party affiliation is not required to vote in these races.

There is no law in Utah limiting the lawful possession of firearms (OC or CC) at polling places. So if you can legally carry in whatever location is hosting your polling place, you can legally carry to vote. I note that schools are a common location for polling places so a permit would be required to carry there. Churches are less common (LDS churches are almost never used for this purpose anymore), as are private homes but in both cases, carrying would be legal unless notice is given via the BCI webpage or other means (including signage) that guns are not welcome.

That all said, anyone with a lot of money for a good lawyer might have fun with this gem from the Utah State Constitution:

[font="Arial,Helvetica"] Article IV, Section 3. [Voters -- Immunity from arrest.]
In all cases except those of treason, felony or breach of the peace, voters shall be privileged from arrest on the days of election, during their attendance at elections, and going to and returning therefrom. [/font]

Cykaos

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Couldn't pretty much any crime be argued "breach of the peace"? I am not sure I can think of any crime that isn't treason, a felony, or breach of the peace.. I guess I am just not creative enough.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
[snip]

That all said, anyone with a lot of money for a good lawyer might have fun with this gem from the Utah State Constitution:

[font="Arial,Helvetica"] Article IV, Section 3. [Voters -- Immunity from arrest.]
In all cases except those of treason, felony or breach of the peace, voters shall be privileged from arrest on the days of election, during their attendance at elections, and going to and returning therefrom. [/font]
That's freakin amazing! We need more elections!!! :celebrate

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Vote tomorrow? Sheesh, you guys are slackin'! :p I voted last week. :monkey
I actually believe that voting, in public, on election day, is an important part of the process. I am very much opposed to early voting and absentee voting except in cases of actually being absent from the election district on the day of the election. Early, mail in, and absentee voting are all FAR more suspetible to fraud than is voting in person.

I realize that with E-voting and centralized counting we have moved way too far away from the ideal of voting in person, counting the ballots openly in precincts, and then calling in results to the county level for public tabulation. But I will do my part to make the mistake of e-voting obvious by showing up on election day and contributing to the load the machines must handle that day. I may just demand a paper ballot these days now that I know that is an option. But I do believe firmly that voting, in person, on election day should be the standard with rare exceptions for those out of the area, home-bound, or otherwise physically unable to vote on election day.

Charles

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Make sure and vote Chaffetz. Cannon is pro amnesty.

I have an email into Edwards and Neuenshwander regarding their RKBA stance. Will post when I get a reply.

Here is the email I sent:
Code:
I am writing to find out what your stance is as pertains to support of the second amendment and the right to keep and bear arms. A personal ranking on a scale of 1-10 would suffice. 1 being against gun rights and 10 being for gun rights. In my view if you are to say anything above an 8 you would need to give unwaivered support and resources to helping pass pro second amendment issues. Your number please.

Can I OC at a school with a CFP?

Code:
Dan Liljenquist replied:
I am a 10 on gun rights. They are guaranteed by the second amendment to individual citizens (not militias). I do not see any need to further restrict gun ownership and useage.

On a personal note, I have several hand guns, an AR 15, and a concealed carry permit.

Sent from my iPhone
Code:
Ronald Mortensen replied: 
My number would be a 10+. I am a life member of the NRA, a concealed carry instructor, certified NRA pistol and rifle instructor, certified NRA Refuse to Be a Victim instructor. The NRA has endorsed me in this race. I have worked on the hill to help legislators pass Second Amendment bills - specifically with Rep. Oda and Senator Madsen. Just two years ago I was on the Camp LeJeune, U.S. Marine Corpstraining rangeusing a fully automatic AK-47as well as an M-16.   By the way, the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms.I will support all bills that enhance our rights and oppose any bill that weakens our rights.  Best Regards,  Ron
Code:
Becky Edwards replied:
Wasn't this issue settled in 2004 by the Utah Legislature when the House and Senate passed SB48 sponsored by Sen. Mike Waddoups of Taylorsville? Sen. Waddoups' bill prevents any governmental entity such as a university or college from banning firearms on their campuses. I don't believe there have been any challenges to SB48, although it was amended recently to allow students to request that they share a dorm room with someone who will not have a concealed carry permit. I believe that issue has already been answered by the legislature. Thanks for your interest and email.Becky
Note that she gave no answer.

I make no claim as to the quality of these candidates. I am only reporting their RKBA stance.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3612942

:monkey Chaffetz defeats Cannon in Republican primary! :monkey

Voted for Chaffetz while OCing:celebrate

This is the 1st time since I got my Citizenship in Januaiy that I voted:celebrate

I AM TRULY PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. AND GUYS THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO TO HAVE THEPRIVILEGE TO BECOME ONE

TJ

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had a good experience voting. The lady who helped me run the machine noticed my kimber and asked if I was part of the West Valley Meeting group. She was very supportive of exercising rights. Even took a pic for me!

CIMG1707-1.jpg

And yes Chaffetz won:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate