Thread: Somewhat OT: Russia to release pastor convicted of smuggling ammo into nation

State Researcher

Post imported post

Mostly OT for this forumn, but maybe of interest to any who have followed the case. Bottom line, know the laws before you travel. Seems this guy's friend asked him to bring him a couple of boxes of ammo for a hunting rilfe and the custom's guys didn't take kindly to it as the pastor entered the country.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,370381,00.html

Excerpt:

MOSCOW— A Russian court on Monday reduced the three-year prison sentence of a South Carolina pastor convicted of smuggling rifle ammunition and ordered him set free.
    The Moscow City Court reduced Phillip Miles' sentence to 10 months and ruled that he should be freed from custody without serving all of it. Miles, who has been in jail since Feb. 3, will likely be released Tuesday, his lawyer said, and is expected to leave Russia by next week.

All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Post imported post

Sounds like typical FSU/Russia. The fact that he was an American citizen probably had something to do with it as well.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Ouch! Too bad. Yes, know the laws.

My kind of pastor, though.

"Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!"
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Not OT, good fodder for the General Discussion Forum.

Really it shows how extremely unfree things could become if we aren't vigilant in guarding our liberties.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    SNIP Not OT, good fodder for the General Discussion Forum.

Not yet. Muhahahaha.

This whole thing isa perfect example of how Russia violates the religious freedom of others.

You're right about it showing how bad things can get and the need for vigilance.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

A crappy situation for sure, but at least he's being released.

Post imported post

Seems pretty reasonable to me overall.

We keep getting closer and closer to what we found unconscionable 20 years ago.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Ah, I knew this would come up again... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=9284