• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped at Loveland Walmart while OCing

jason_m

imported post

I have been Open Carrying for a while in Northern Colorado and have pretty much been everywhere and never had a problem. On July 24th, i stepped into the lovelandWalmart on US 34 to do some shopping. While shopping I was approached by a regular employee (didn't catch his name)who told me that carrying a handgun in colorado was illegal and that the store manager and the police where on the way. An assistant manager approached meby the name of Cary and told me that openpossesion of a Handgun was againstWalmart Policy. Iasked Cary if this "policy" was posted in the store or available forcustomers in writing. He replied by telling me that it was not posted and that he would not give me the written policy because it was privliged information. I asked to speak with the store manager and was told that he was busy and couldn't talk to me.I then proceeded to tell him thatI have been into this exactWalmart many times andasearly as the day beforeand that my handgun has never been a problem. I asked him why that was the case if the store had a policy prohibiting handguns. He did not answer my question but instead asked me to leave and told me that carrying a handgun in Colorado and in Loveland is illegal and that the police were waiting outside. I told Cary that he must be confused aboutwhat the actual law was regarding open carry. I then handed hima business card for the loveland police department and told him perhaps he should do a little research on the subject of open carry before he heckles customers in the future. I left myfull shopping cart in the middle of the aisle, walked out, anddid my shopping atKing Soopers up the roadwithmy handgun OC'd and nobody said anything.

Anubis

imported post

Welcome to the forum!

Your response was perfect, particularly abandoning the unpurchased items. Let me guess: there were no police waiting outside to nab you.

By the way, Walmart's corporate policy is that each store follows the local law. You were legal, and if you pursue the matter, you could probably get the local fool straightened out from above. But why bother? Voting with your feet is good enough!

GaOwlPoop

imported post

I love the line

"it was not posted and that he would not give me the written policy because it was privileged information."

Did I miss something or am I just stupid. If it isn't posted and you can't have a copy because it is "privileged" information I guess you have to be a mind reader?

I hate to say it but WalMart has gotten so big that it is as bad as the government.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO and great job butdon't quit yet! That's only half the battle!Though you voted with your feet as you should have, CarySTILL thinks he's right and will continue to trample the rightsofother OC'ers in violation of their policy AND the law. Please file a compaint with corporate so this clown willget the retraining he so badly needs. Ignorance is no excuse.

Then I wouldcontacting the manager, via letter, explaining the incident, the Corporate policy and quoting the state law to him while explaining that you do not appreciate his employees lying to you about 1) Policy, 2) The Law and 3) the presence of the police waiting outside. Is he in the habit of hiring liars to the detriment of paying customers and business? Tell him that since Cary lied to your face, you won't come back until you get a personal apology from Cary to your face.

If you want, post your draft letter and we'll help you "wordsmith" it before mailing!

Anyone in the Colo forum know the WalMart district manager's contact info?

Evil Ernie

imported post

Welcome to the forums!

Privileged information?!?!? Silly Wally Zombie...that's for employees to abide by. Wally's corporate policy is to obey state law, so CC is totally acceptable, and since there ISN'T a law regarding OC, then they must either post signage, or just tell you to hit the bricks.
Your response was absolutely beautiful tho. Get some of those "No Gun=No Money" cards from RMGo_Org. Tells them that you're gonna hit'em where it hurts most; the wallet.

jmar254

imported post

OC Meet-N-Greet at the Loveland Walmart on Cary's shift????

I want in, I haven't OC'd yet and this would make a great first time. Weekends are better for me, I live in Wheat Ridge. Saturdays are better because I am usually shooting USPSA on Sundays.

4" XD9

First Saturday of August,so we have time to get the word out to as many people as possible.

depthrecordings

imported post

Hello, I am also new to this board. Can anyone direct me to any laws about Colorado? I live in Denver and would love to learn the laws concerning Open Carry in Colorado.

Thanks,

Eric

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Anubis wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Your response was perfect, particularly abandoning the unpurchased items. Let me guess: there were no police waiting outside to nab you.

By the way, Walmart's corporate policy is that each store follows the local law. You were legal, and if you pursue the matter, you could probably get the local fool straightened out from above. But why bother? Voting with your feet is good enough!
Do you have this in writing? I've literally been trying for years... and only got a verbal statement from a regional manager years ago. She said it was policy to follow state law, but practice was to ask people to leave when OCing, and not to allow CC either if they see it. But that doesn't do us any good when it's all "She said" v. "read this letter from corporate."
Any solid evidence?

Anubis

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
Anubis wrote:
By the way, Walmart's corporate policy is that each store follows the local law.
Do you have this in writing?
No. That seems to be the consensus in other OCDO forums, so technically I relied on hearsay for my baseless allegation.

Having voted with my fee, I never enter any Walmart, so I am not personally interested in its corporate policies.

Felixhead

imported post

Kinda crazy, It must be the area. I was just in Grand Junction last week and my friend and I both OC in the Walmart there and no one said a thing. Sounds like to me thatwe law abiding citizens are dealig with the personal feelings of people as opposed to any type of policy or regulation.

Anubis

imported post

Felixhead wrote:
Sounds like to me thatwe law abiding citizens are dealig with the personal feelings of people as opposed to any type of policy or regulation.
Yes, the anti feels that our carrying guns openly or concealedis wrong on a gut level. Logic, law, rational thought don't factor into his reaction.

Anubis

imported post

I cannot vouch for its authenticity, but I found this letter allegedly from the WalMart corporate office posted in another forum regarding Walmart's policy on customers' firearms:

DATE: Friday, April 16,1999 2:13 PM

Subject: RE: Firearms

Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.

The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.

We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.

Thank you,

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

If this is the real thing, then Walmart tolerates licensed concealed carry but not open carry. Although I have read many anecdotes of open carry going unremarked in various Walmarts.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Although I have OC'd in local W/M without incident , that 1999 "policy statement" is precisely what I would have expected from them - regardless of whether or not OC is lawful in Colorado or not. With OC being asserted more frequently , I would not be surprised to see "no display" signs posted soon .We have to respect private property rights. If Wal-Mart posts signs - then maybe Target deserves our business. There are choices - still. I've determined to respond courteously but confidently if confronted in ANY store to the effect that: " I am authorized by the State of Colorado to wear this weapon openly or concealed for my personal safety. If it is your corporate policy to prohibit in-store display of a holstered side-arm, then I will be more than happy to respect that policy out of respect for your property rights.You should understand thatthis policy places my personal safety at risk by requiring me to conceal my weapon while in your store,affording an "unarmed" target for any violent criminal present . Then after exiting your store, for my personal safety, I must openly display it whilewalking to my parked vehicle. Since your store provides no tangible security for your customers inside or outside,I will probably have totake my business to one of your many competitors- such as King Soopers- that respectsthe life and safety of its customers."

sailarmy

imported post

i have heard the same thing about walmart not careing about CC but to keep from alarming the employees and customers they say they would rather have the weapon conceled. i have a friend that works at the longmont walmart at 66and 287 i will ask her ifshe can get me acopy of the weapon policy

SANDCREEK

imported post

(Colorado Springs)For what it's worth -Mrs. & I had a very enjoyable shopping trip to King Soopers on 3rd ofJuly.The store manager passed us in the aisles several times, while interacting with another employee about shelf arrangement. Very cordial to us . Only one customer that I witnessed taking note of armed condition - simply smiled pleasantly ( thinking? " Maybe I will wear mine - next time ") Perhaps "the JURY is still OUT" as far as Wal-Mart. ??? The Colorado Springs "Gazette" published an excellent "Our View" about 2 weeks back on OC.Won't the Denver "free press" print any "letters to editor" opposing the violation of Colorado statute ? CO Supreme Court "decision" simply WASN'T. Lower court = WRONG. You know Denver ordinance is a violation of the rights of ALL Colorado citizens - not just the people that have to live/work there. It is OUR Capitol !

DocNTexas

imported post

Anubis wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

In most cases I would agree, except in the case of Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart brass has already held in favor of the people by accepting local laws as their own policy. by allowing some personal anti-gunner or other idiot to impose his/her personal view is a slap in the face of all of us and the good position the corporate folks have taken on the matter. Besides, Wal-Mart is nation wide and their sales will not slump enough in one store to raise notice. The idiots would rather you not shop there in order to have their way.

I consider it much better to call their hand on it and make them eat crow. That way they will think twice before pulling it on someone else. Let them know that each time they do this corporate will hear about it and soon they will be sacking goods for someone else.

Personally, I carry a copy of a letter from Wal-Mart corporate explaining their policy in my wallet just for such an occasion, which basically says, Wal-Mart stores follow local and state law. I have seen others that claim they do not allow open carry but mine simply says local and state law.

There again, this is just me.

Doc

Evocatii

imported post

I have OC'ed in the Durango Walmart without problems. Although, I would certainly like to get a written policy letter to keep with me. As a matter of fact, it would be nice to have a website that has a posting of those big business that object to the exercising of open carry for future reference. Perhaps it could also keep a .pdf posted of that company's policy letter response. Just an idea.