• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO CARRY IN MILWAUKEE,

yagoo

imported post

I don't know what you are all talking about. There is a municipal statute in milwaukee that outlaws anyone but a cop from carrying concealed OR OPENLY carrying a weapon.

Municipal Ordinance: 105.34: "...it shall be unlawful for any person to go armed with any firearm on or about their person within the city, unless the firearm is both unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case"

This ordinance is SEPERATE from the conceal carry ordinance.

If you try to open carry in milwaukee the police CAN and WILL arrest you under this statute.

Don't be stupid.

mkl

imported post

yagoo wrote:
I don't know what you are all talking about. There is a municipal statute in milwaukee that outlaws anyone but a cop from carrying concealed OR OPENLY carrying a weapon.

Municipal Ordinance: 105.34: "...it shall be unlawful for any person to go armed with any firearm on or about their person within the city, unless the firearm is both unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case"

This ordinance is SEPERATE from the conceal carry ordinance.

If you try to open carry in milwaukee the police CAN and WILL arrest you under this statute.

Don't be stupid.

Responded in the other thread that this post was also posted to. For consistency I will repost it here as well:

Wisconsin has Preemption, which prohibits all municipalities from creating gun laws,so it seems that ordinance is illegal. See the preemption at . Wisconsin Statutes § 66.0409(2). I am not a lawyer, so maybe someone who is more versed in Wisconsin law will chime in.

yagoo

imported post

Please note: it is illegal to carry in just about every other city within 300 miles of milwaukee. Please reference your city's municipal code before carrying.

As a law student who is currently working for a law firm, I wanted to get a process server/private investigator license to better help in my daily tasks...when I read the municipal ordinances against carrying...I changed my mind. Even private investigators cannot carry in most circumstances.

mkl

imported post

yagoo wrote:
Please note: it is illegal to carry in just about every other city within 300 miles of milwaukee.  Please reference your city's municipal code before carrying.

As a law student who is currently working for a law firm, I wanted to get a process server/private investigator license to better help in my daily tasks...when I read the municipal ordinances against carrying...I changed my mind.  Even private investigators cannot carry in most circumstances.

You may need to read more law then. What say you about 66.0409 ? Has that been changed? I am reading it off of nxt.legis.state.wi.us

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Oh boy, here we go again. Is Bunker using another name?

Yes, read the preemption statute, then report back to us. Thanks

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Oh, and you might want to read the statements I posted from Assisant Attorney General Kassel on page 17 of the "Intent to open carry in Milwaukee" posting...

yagoo

imported post

here is point 4a of your pre-emption statute:

"4)(a) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from continuing to enforce an ordinance or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, if the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute."

the state constitutiuon is NOT a state statute...that is why 4a allows municipalities to regulate open carry. I am not telling you my politics...but from reading some of the posts here, people are mis-informed about the law so I am just giving warning.

mkl

imported post

yagoo wrote:

"4)(a) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from continuing to enforce an ordinance or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, if the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute."

the state constitutiuon is NOT a state statute...that is why 4a allows municipalities to regulate open carry.  I am not telling you my politics...but from reading some of the posts here, people are mis-informed about the law so I am just giving warning.

Read it. It proves you are wrong.
"if the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute."

No carry would be more stringent than state statute.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

yagoo wrote:

the state constitutiuon is NOT a state statute...that is why 4a allows municipalities to regulate open carry. I am not telling you my politics...but from reading some of the posts here, people are mis-informed about the law so I am just giving warning.
Okay, then point out the state statute that these ordinances are "the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute." I'll wait patiently.

yagoo

imported post

thats what i JUST SAID. the state constitution is what you are going off of saying you have a right to carry...NOT a state statute...the pre-emption law says that a municipality can't regulate if the regulation is more stringent than a STATE STATUTE....NOT THE STATE CONSTITUTION.

yagoo

imported post

thats what i JUST SAID. the state constitution is what you are going off of saying you have a right to carry...NOT a state statute...the pre-emption law says that a municipality can't regulate if the regulation is more stringent than a STATE STATUTE....NOT THE STATE CONSTITUTION.

smithman

imported post

yagoo wrote:

This is the key:

is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.

There is no state statue against OC, so a locality's law against carrying a gun is more stringent! Therefore unenforceable!

yagoo

imported post

You are missing my whole point...

You can read all of "Chapter 941. Crimes Against Public Health and Safety" and you won't find any laws regarding open carry. (you will obvioiusly find ones against conceal carry"

Therefore, a municipality is not regulating more stringent than any state statute with regard to open carry because there IS NO state statute regarding allowing carry.

yagoo

imported post

that is incorrect:

Article I, Section 25

The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

yagoo

imported post

Smithman,

you said: "There is no state statue against OC, so a locality's law against carrying a gun is more stringent! Therefore unenforceable!"

That is not how federalism works my friend....if there is no state law against something, it is left to the municipalities and counties...just as where there is no federal law, it is assumed to be left to the states.

mkl

imported post

yagoo wrote:
You are missing my whole point...

You can read all of "Chapter 941. Crimes Against Public Health and Safety" and you won't find any laws regarding open carry. (you will obvioiusly find ones against conceal carry"

Therefore, a municipality is not regulating more stringent than any state statute with regard to open carry because there IS NO state statute regarding allowing carry.

So you think that since there is no law allowing OC, that preemption allows for a locality to make a ordinance banning OC, even though pre-emotion law says:

66.0409(4)(b)
(b) If a political subdivision has in effect on November 17, 1995, an ordinance or resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, and the ordinance or resolution is not the same as or similar to a state statute, the ordinance or resolution shall have no legal effect and the political subdivision may not enforce the ordinance or resolution on or after November 18, 1995.

Which to me reads, if there is no state ordinance that the local law is similar to, the law has no effect.
So OC would be unable to be banned.

yagoo

imported post

Again...read the post I made previous to this one...the whole point of the state law that you are pointing to is so that if the state legislature so chooses, they can "overrule" municipal regarding guns. However, there are NO laws regarding open carry in the state legislature for a reason. If the state legislature wanted to enact a law that said "all citizens may open carry.." then the pre-emption would kick it. That is not the case, however.

smithman

imported post

yagoo wrote:
Smithman,

you said: "There is no state statue against OC, so a locality's law against carrying a gun is more stringent! Therefore unenforceable!"

That is not how federalism works my friend....if there is no state law against something, it is left to the municipalities and counties...just as where there is no federal law, it is assumed to be left to the states.
In most cases stuff is left for the municipalities, but firearms are specifically protected in the statutues from more stringent locality laws. There should be no debate over this. Firearms are a special class of weapon in the state laws, and they are specifically protected against unreasonable and unenforceable municipality laws.