Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legality of Hollow points

Post imported post

I'm only 23 and over the last year began catching up with our gun rights and the struggle all of you have fought for over the years. What's up with some police interactions involve the police officers stating that hollow points are illegal. Was there a point when the anti gun crowd was trying to make them illegal. A recent story mentioned that the judge asked if it was teflon coated.

What's the deal with that?

State Researcher

Post imported post

There are some areas and even States I believe where hollow-points are restricted and/or illegal. Interestingly enough, it's illegal for the military to use hollow-points against the enemy. They're considered "inhumane". :?

Post imported post

the whole teflon deal had to do with bullets that were made from tungsten rather than copper. the teflon was designed to protect the barrel. bullets made from tungsten claim to have been able to defeat certain body armor.

happy carrying,

jason

Post imported post

Actually... it was a magistrate that advised hollow points are not illegal.

I have no idea why the officer thought hollow points were illegal.

Post imported post

This is the first time that I've heard of hollow point bullets being illegal to buy and use.

Activist Member

Post imported post

Hollow Points are illegal in New Jersey. But you can use Federal EFMJ perfectly legally there.

Post imported post

Huh, never knew about that. Good thing I adamantly refuse to go to NJ then.

Post imported post

Felid ' Maximus almost got it correct. Hollow points are not illegal to possess per se; they're just illegal to use. If, for instance, you purchase hollow point ammo out of state, you can bring it into Jersey, but you can't use it. About the only other place I know of where it is illegal is D.C.; even though hollow points aren't specifically mentioned as being illegal there, unregistered ammo is, and since handguns are illegal there (pending the outcome of the D.C. v. Heller case before the Supreme Court), so too is hollow point ammo.

Post imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
    Felid ' Maximus almost got it correct. Hollow points are not illegal to possess per se; they're just illegal to use. If, for instance, you purchase hollow point ammo out of state, you can bring it into Jersey, but you can't use it. About the only other place I know of where it is illegal is D.C.; even though hollow points aren't specifically mentioned as being illegal there, unregistered ammo is, and since handguns are illegal there (pending the outcome of the D.C. v. Heller case before the Supreme Court), so too is hollow point ammo.
    Oh you can use Hollow Points in NJ. You just can't have them in your carry pistol away from home, but you can transport them to the range separately and practice with them there. Also no provision saying you cannot use Hollow Points in your home for SD.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

Post imported post

I suspect that the officer in the referenced event must have come froma state that banned them.

He should have known in either case to look up the charge and get the code section as this is needed when you go before the magistrate. But then.... in Virginia you shall release on a summons for misdemeanor charges.

Post imported post

Is there a law against them in Nevada? Cuase' I can't find one.

Activist Member

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    Is there a law against them in Nevada? Cuase' I can't find one.

No law against them in Nevada.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    ....But then.... in Virginia you shall release on a summons for misdemeanor charges.
    Nope. Remember the recent Supreme Court Case originating in Portsmouth, VA?
    True, they are supposed to release, but if they don't and they find a crack pipe on you, you still go up the river for the crack pipe. That's a MAJOR reason a cop might want to arrest someone without just cause for a misdemeanor, esp if he knew his CO would back him up.
    I know of nothing in place (history of cops losing their jobs, wage garnishments, etc) that would prevent an officer from arresting a person arbitrarily for a non-continuing misdemeanor. Perhaps you can fill me in...

Post imported post

Yeah! Right. No cop would do that.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    §46.2-936 says an officer shall release on a summons in the case of a misdemeanor. But if the arresting officer has reason to believe a person will not honor and abide by a summons,they can take the personinto a magistrate's office according to §46.2-940. This isn't exactly what was meant when the code section below was adopted, but it is the way many officers interpret it. And we both know arresting officers would never misuse the authority this section supposedly provides them, don't we?

-----------------------------------------------------

§ 46.2-940. When arresting officer shall take person before issuing authority.

If any person is: (i) believed by the arresting officer to have committed a felony; (ii) believed by the arresting officer to be likely to disregard a summons issued under § 46.2-936; or (iii) refuses to give a written promise to appear under the provisions of § 46.2-936 or § 46.2-945, the arresting officer shall promptly take him before a magistrate or other issuing authority having jurisdiction and proceed in accordance with the provisions of § 19.2-82. The magistrate or other authority may issue either a summons or warrant as he shall determine proper.

(Code 1950, § 46-194; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-179; 1966, c. 639; 1972, c. 474; 1981, c. 382; 1989, c. 727; 2006, c. 276.)
    Yeah! No cop would ever go beyond there authority. Or common sence.

Post imported post

Funny thing, FMJ is illegal for hunting here in Wisconsin.

Post imported post

I found out what my town's PD carries, and carry the same - Winchester Silvertip JHP.

Post imported post

tito887 wrote:
    I'm only 23 and over the last year began catching up with our gun rights and the struggle all of you have fought for over the years. What's up with some police interactions involve the police officers stating that hollow points are illegal. Was there a point when the anti gun crowd was trying to make them illegal. A recent story mentioned that the judge asked if it was teflon coated.

What's the deal with that?
    You'll hear almost anything. Don't go by hearsay. There aren't many regs against ammo, but there are a few. So-called armor-piercing ammo (tungsten w/teflon coat) is illegal in many places. Incindiery ammo is illegal in many places. There's a lot of info in this thread already about some of the ammos and reasons. You'd do well to know your local laws.
    My father was career Navy in the Medical Corps. He told me the reason the military uses FMJ. Yes, there is the Geneva convention that says in general that HPs are inhumane. Is war humane? I'm getting off-topic.
    The reason to use FMJ is this: If you punch a small hole in an enemy, he is wounded and requires 2 more to carry him away, and medical care, and often is permanently disabled, sapping enemy resources.
    If you hydro-shock an enemy and kill him, no such after-care is required. In fact, depending on circumstances, the winner has to clean up.

Post imported post

mvpel wrote:
    I found out what my town's PD carries, and carry the same - Winchester Silvertip JHP.
    Silver tip? You have ware-wolves there??

Post imported post

Some places have zombies, some have vampires, and some places just happen to have werewolves. Deal with it. :P

Post imported post

State Researcher

Post imported post

Walleye wrote:
    Some places have zombies, some have vampires, and some places just happen to have werewolves. Deal with it. :P
    The local dungeon here has a lot of higher level undead, so fire damage works best for me:

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/p...ry-pistol-ammo

Post imported post

mvpel wrote:
    While that is an excellent round in full size pistols, be aware that if you carry a compact or sub-compact, that round loses far more velocity than most in a sub-5" barrel than other modern rounds from the tests I have seen.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Considering that the most likely use of said ammo in my Glock 30 will be at ranges less than 20 feet away, I don't reckon that the loss of velocity at that range will be enough to make a difference one way or the other.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

My lawyer here in Utah says good to go. Even handloads are fine here acording to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast