• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of Hollow points

DreQo

State Researcher

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mvpel wrote:
I found out what my town's PD carries, and carry the same - Winchester Silvertip JHP.
While that is an excellent round in full size pistols, be aware that if you carry a compact or sub-compact, that round loses far more velocity than most in a sub-5" barrel than other modern rounds from the tests I have seen.

mvpel

imported post

Considering that the most likely use of said ammo in my Glock 30 will be at ranges less than 20 feet away, I don't reckon that the loss of velocity at that range will be enough to make a difference one way or the other. :lol:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mvpel wrote:
Considering that the most likely use of said ammo in my Glock 30 will be at ranges less than 20 feet away, I don't reckon that the loss of velocity at that range will be enough to make a difference one way or the other. :lol:
That is probably true. Just threw it out there for general info as it was something I came across that I found surprising. ;)