• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in car??

Sully

imported post

I'm in Wyoming on vacation right now and need to know what is meant by the statement on the summary page "You may open carry in a vehicle. It must be clearly visible." Clearly visible to who??? Someone outside the vehicle? Does it mean that you cannot cover it with a jacket or put it in the console while in the vehicle or something really stupid like I have to lay it up on the dash for all to see?? In the late great state of Michigan where I'm from, if you don't have a CPL and you get into a vehicle while open carrying, your pistol is considered concealed and you get arrested.
And by the way, I didn't get my CPL in the mail before I left Michigan because I live in the Peoples Republik of Wayne County and they take up to four months to get it in the mail. Otherwise there wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

wayneborngesser

imported post

All you need to do is make sure your shirt's tucked in and the butt of the gun is not covered. I wear an outside the waistband holser since I've moved here and you can either completely tuck your shirt, or just tuck behind the holster and weapon. Covering with a jacket is, sadly, technically concealed. If you want to, just pretend you're wearing a gun like a police officer would, on your belt and all you might get is a question as to what brand gun you're a totin'. Heck, we've got a lady out here who open carries into the police station every time she goes there, only place she doesn't carry it is into the Post Office[Federal area] and into a school. Welcome to the land of sanity, relax and enjoy your vacation..............MOVE HERE!

stormme56

imported post

Sully... carry your gun in the car so as a cop looking in through the windows can see it... thats all!...

It can be loaded. (and at that, a cop might just respect you more for it.)

Also, if you are stopped by a cop, he/she will probably ask you if you have any loaded weapons in your car.... be truthfull... it wont matter... here in Wyoming we respect lawfull gun owners...

I carry always and know most of the cops wherever I go...

And while you are here.... GO FISHING!!!

My motto: "I shoot better mad, than crooks can run scared"

Sully

imported post

Thanks for the info. We're headed into the Beartooths in a couple of days. Maybe the Beartooth campground will be dug out by July 1st. I'm in Cody right now and need a place to buy a holster. I like the DeSantis and would like to get one for my wife. We both have the M&P .40 compact. Any place in town that has a good selection? Besides, I can't wait to get into town and carry WOO HOO!!:celebrate If we OCd where we live we would have a bunch of LE with pistols in our faces.

And yes, we would love to move to a free state like Wyoming.