Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many spare mags do you carry?

Post imported post

I have a p220. 8 Round mags. 2 Mag holsters 1 a black single and a brown double. Will be using a black belt. What do you guys think? How many reloads do you carry?

Post imported post

My Glock 22 holds 15 rounds, so I'm pretty sure I have enough ammo to successfully defend myself in just about any situation. Sure there are those out there who'll say that if you can't hit what you're shooting at with 7,8, 10, or 15 shots, then you should wait until you've had more practice before you resume carrying. I disagree. If you feel you need an extra mag or speedloader (or two or three), then by all means, carry it. I'm of the mind that it's better to carry more ammo than you need than to need more ammo than you have. All of the range practice in the world does not substitute for a real life encounter with a criminal, which I'm pretty sure would wreak havoc on just about anyone's accuracy. In the heat of battle, I'm certain that most of you would not shoot 2-inch groups like you would at the range. Sure, those missed shots must hit something, but in the end, if all you have is the 8 rounds in your mag, and you need more, it's better to have that extra mag than not.

Post imported post

My Glock 22 holds 15 rounds, so I'm pretty sure I have enough ammo to successfully defend myself in just about any situation. Sure there are those out there who'll say that if you can't hit what you're shooting at with 7,8, 10, or 15 shots, then you should wait until you've had more practice before you resume carrying. I disagree. If you feel you need an extra mag or speedloader (or two or three), then by all means, carry it. I'm of the mind that it's better to carry more ammo than you need than to need more ammo than you have. All of the range practice in the world does not substitute for a real life encounter with a criminal, which I'm pretty sure would wreak havoc on just about anyone's accuracy. In the heat of battle, I'm certain that most of you would not shoot 2-inch groups like you would at the range. Sure, those missed shots must hit something, but in the end, if all you have is the 8 rounds in your mag, and you need more, it's better to have that extra mag than not.

Post imported post

I normally carry at least one or two reloads, and it doesn't matter what the capacity of the gun is. If I'm carrying my 6-shot .38, I carry two speedloaders or speed strips. If carrying my XD45, I carry two spare mags, etc.

As previously said, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Heck...that's the reason we carry in the first place, isn't it?

Post imported post

When I get the mags, I will carry three extra. But that's just me

Post imported post

Put aside the active shooter scenerio at a mall or other public place for a moment. The single most important reason for carrying and extra mag is to replace the one that caused your malfunction that yourTRB drill did not fix such that you can get back in the fight. As one is none and two is one, I carry two reloads.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

1 extra mag for any pistol I carry, and always a BUG. If I cant hit what i shoot at with that, then I will run.

Post imported post

minus wrote:
    I have a p220. 8 Round mags. 2 Mag holsters 1 a black single and a brown double. Will be using a black belt. What do you guys think? How many reloads do you carry?
    I carry 2 extra. That's 45 rounds total.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I always carry at least one - mostly for the redundancy in case of failure, not so much for "round count."

I have two mag carriers. One is a double, and the other is a combo with a single mag and my Surefire 6P. Most of the time I'm wearing the double with 2 mags. In the evenings, I switch to the single with light.

I carry a 1911 and don't go for "high cap" mags, as JMB's design is 100% bulletproof, while I've found the 8 round mags to be a crap shoot.

So, normally carrying 22 rounds, sometimes only 15.

Activist Member

Post imported post

I usually have a revolver with no reloads.I may buy some speed loaders though as I recently learned that 7 round speed loaders do exist.

But when I carry a semi-auto, I usually have two extra mags. Depending on mag size that's somewhere between 20-55 rounds total.

Post imported post

Usually two extra for a total of 36 rounds of .40, and always have my J-frame pocketed, so 41 rounds total between the two guns.

Post imported post

In case of malfunction is the best reason I have seen for carrying an extra mag.

My p226 can carry 18+1 flush... So ammo shouldn't be the reason

Post imported post

I hope this isn't too terribly stupid (or obvious!) a question, but assuming you are carrying spare mags, where do you carry them? Pocket? OC mag pouch? CC mag pouch?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria, Criminologist in 1764.

Post imported post

ThunderRanch wrote:
    I hope this isn't too terribly stupid (or obvious!) a question, but assuming you are carrying spare mags, where do you carry them? Pocket? OC mag pouch? CC mag pouch?
    Whatever way you are comfortable with that allows you too smoothly and quickly reload.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

ThunderRanch wrote:
    As I mentioned in my prior post, I alternate between a double mag carrier and a combo carrier. I don't like IWB mag carriers. They might be comfortable for very skinny guys, but not for me.

Here are the two I use...

from www.andrewsleather.com

Post imported post

So, I'm just looking for a carrier to carry perhaps 2 spare 1911 7 rd magazines, or even one and a light, but everywhere I've looked, they want a ridiculous amount of money for one. $40 for a magazine carrier that isn't one with the flaps is just out of this world to me.....I don't want a magazine carrier that has the flaps as this is slower, and when you need that extra magazine, you need it NOW.

It doesn't have to be leather (I'm looking at a Serpa for my 1911, so if it was black and plastic, that's fine with me), just something that carries the 7 rd magazines upside down, ready to go, that won't let them fall out if I happened to go down on one knee or something like that. Any ideas? :?

Post imported post

Carrying your mags in your pockets absent a pocket holster or some modifications to the pocket is a good way for your mags not ito be oriented in such a manner as to facilitate a smooth reload.

I typically run two single OWB mag holders and a light holder on the support side, tip of the cartridge facing forward.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Post imported post

I carry 1-2 spare mags.

Post imported post

I have changed my mind, I will be carrying 4

4 mags 16 rounds each 1mag in the gun with 1 in the chamber (when I get my CFP of course) Let's see that comes out to...........81 rounds. Sounds about right.

Of course that will be 2 OC and 2 CC

Post imported post

I carry 6 (11 rounds) + 1 in the pistol minimum daily, and 1 in the Chamber = 78

TJ

Post imported post

I thought you always carried 133 rounds daily.

Oh, and how do you carry that many?

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    I thought you always carried 133 rounds daily.

Oh, and how do you carry that many?
    I carry 6 (11 rounds) + 1 in the pistol minimum daily, and 1 in the Chamber = 78

TJ
    2 visable and the rest concealed

TJ

Post imported post

That's what I figured.

Post imported post

I always carry a speedloader or extra mag with me. The speedloader is for the event I need more than 6 shots. The extra mag is just incase I have a problem with feeding or 8 shots are not enough.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast