• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many spare mags do you carry?

minus

imported post

I have a p220. 8 Round mags. 2 Mag holsters 1 a black single and a brown double. Will be using a black belt. What do you guys think? How many reloads do you carry?

tattedupboy

imported post

My Glock 22 holds 15 rounds, so I'm pretty sure I have enough ammo to successfully defend myself in just about any situation. Sure there are those out there who'll say that if you can't hit what you're shooting at with 7,8, 10, or 15 shots, then you should wait until you've had more practice before you resume carrying. I disagree. If you feel you need an extra mag or speedloader (or two or three), then by all means, carry it. I'm of the mind that it's better to carry more ammo than you need than to need more ammo than you have. All of the range practice in the world does not substitute for a real life encounter with a criminal, which I'm pretty sure would wreak havoc on just about anyone's accuracy. In the heat of battle, I'm certain that most of you would not shoot 2-inch groups like you would at the range. Sure, those missed shots must hit something, but in the end, if all you have is the 8 rounds in your mag, and you need more, it's better to have that extra mag than not.

tattedupboy

imported post

My Glock 22 holds 15 rounds, so I'm pretty sure I have enough ammo to successfully defend myself in just about any situation. Sure there are those out there who'll say that if you can't hit what you're shooting at with 7,8, 10, or 15 shots, then you should wait until you've had more practice before you resume carrying. I disagree. If you feel you need an extra mag or speedloader (or two or three), then by all means, carry it. I'm of the mind that it's better to carry more ammo than you need than to need more ammo than you have. All of the range practice in the world does not substitute for a real life encounter with a criminal, which I'm pretty sure would wreak havoc on just about anyone's accuracy. In the heat of battle, I'm certain that most of you would not shoot 2-inch groups like you would at the range. Sure, those missed shots must hit something, but in the end, if all you have is the 8 rounds in your mag, and you need more, it's better to have that extra mag than not.

nova

imported post

I normally carry at least one or two reloads, and it doesn't matter what the capacity of the gun is. If I'm carrying my 6-shot .38, I carry two speedloaders or speed strips. If carrying my XD45, I carry two spare mags, etc. :)

As previously said, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Heck...that's the reason we carry in the first place, isn't it? ;)

dojpros

imported post

Put aside the active shooter scenerio at a mall or other public place for a moment. The single most important reason for carrying and extra mag is to replace the one that caused your malfunction that yourTRB drill did not fix such that you can get back in the fight. As one is none and two is one, I carry two reloads.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I always carry at least one - mostly for the redundancy in case of failure, not so much for "round count."

I have two mag carriers. One is a double, and the other is a combo with a single mag and my Surefire 6P. Most of the time I'm wearing the double with 2 mags. In the evenings, I switch to the single with light.

I carry a 1911 and don't go for "high cap" mags, as JMB's design is 100% bulletproof, while I've found the 8 round mags to be a crap shoot.

So, normally carrying 22 rounds, sometimes only 15.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I usually have a revolver with no reloads.I may buy some speed loaders though as I recently learned that 7 round speed loaders do exist.

But when I carry a semi-auto, I usually have two extra mags. Depending on mag size that's somewhere between 20-55 rounds total.

ThunderRanch

imported post

I hope this isn't too terribly stupid (or obvious!) a question, but assuming you are carrying spare mags, where do you carry them? Pocket? OC mag pouch? CC mag pouch?

David.Car

imported post

ThunderRanch wrote:
I hope this isn't too terribly stupid (or obvious!) a question, but assuming you are carrying spare mags, where do you carry them? Pocket? OC mag pouch? CC mag pouch?
Whatever way you are comfortable with that allows you too smoothly and quickly reload.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ThunderRanch wrote:
As I mentioned in my prior post, I alternate between a double mag carrier and a combo carrier. I don't like IWB mag carriers. They might be comfortable for very skinny guys, but not for me.

Here are the two I use...

from www.andrewsleather.com

flash_mag.jpg

pancake_mag.jpg

compmanio365

imported post

So, I'm just looking for a carrier to carry perhaps 2 spare 1911 7 rd magazines, or even one and a light, but everywhere I've looked, they want a ridiculous amount of money for one. $40 for a magazine carrier that isn't one with the flaps is just out of this world to me.....I don't want a magazine carrier that has the flaps as this is slower, and when you need that extra magazine, you need it NOW.

It doesn't have to be leather (I'm looking at a Serpa for my 1911, so if it was black and plastic, that's fine with me), just something that carries the 7 rd magazines upside down, ready to go, that won't let them fall out if I happened to go down on one knee or something like that. Any ideas? :?

dojpros

imported post

Carrying your mags in your pockets absent a pocket holster or some modifications to the pocket is a good way for your mags not ito be oriented in such a manner as to facilitate a smooth reload.

I typically run two single OWB mag holders and a light holder on the support side, tip of the cartridge facing forward.

thx997303

imported post

I have changed my mind, I will be carrying 4

4 mags 16 rounds each 1mag in the gun with 1 in the chamber (when I get my CFP of course) Let's see that comes out to...........81 rounds. Sounds about right.

Of course that will be 2 OC and 2 CC