• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many spare mags do you carry?

starshooter231

imported post

I always carry a speedloader or extra mag with me. The speedloader is for the event I need more than 6 shots. The extra mag is just incase I have a problem with feeding or 8 shots are not enough.

thx997303

imported post

6 shots is not enough, it may be, but what if it's not?

Better to have more and not need them then to have less then you need.

WARCHILD

imported post

minus wrote:
I have a p220. 8 Round mags. 2 Mag holsters 1 a black single and a brown double. Will be using a black belt. What do you guys think? How many reloads do you carry?

I will probably get a lot of flack for this but........Myself, I carry a 9mm with 18rnd mag.

My first thought is I hope I NEVER have to draw to begin with. Second, like hunting, if you need more than 2 or 3 shots at the most------- YOU ARE IN OVER YOUR HEAD---

Retreat and call 911.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
minus wrote:
I have a p220. 8 Round mags. 2 Mag holsters 1 a black single and a brown double. Will be using a black belt. What do you guys think? How many reloads do you carry?

I will probably get a lot of flack for this but........Myself, I carry a 9mm with 18rnd mag.

My first thought is I hope I NEVER have to draw to begin with. Second, like hunting, if you need more than 2 or 3 shots at the most------- YOU ARE IN OVER YOUR HEAD---

Retreat and call 911.

Yeah, butI will have ENOUGH ammo to (re)treat:lol:...:celebrate..til 911 comes:lol:

TJ

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here is a previous poll/discussion on this very issue:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/7526-1.html

And another from the perspective of total rounds rather than number of mags:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/9347-1.html

I usually carry just one extra mag, more out of concern with a mag problem than an expectation that I will need more ammo. There have been a few occasions where I have carried 2 extra mags just in case. Ironically, the places I go where I would be inclined to carry 3 mags are all in IL where I can't carry any.

G

imported post

I carry a speedloader for my SP101 .357Mag. I sometimes forget the speedloader but still feel comfortable with or without. I sometimes shake my head at some of the responses like people carrying 40+ rounds. I think, my gosh, what do they anticipate a firefight? I mean really, unless you live in Bagdad or having flashbacks of Vietnam why all the ammunition? I will probably get flack for this posting. But statistics I have read show over and over that shootouts are usually over very, veryquickly within seconds and the chances of you having to reload more than one mag are in situations that you shouldn't be in nor are not conducive for your survival.A friend of mine had this ole rule of thumb 2 - 2 - 2. Meaning 2/shots, 2/feet, 2/seconds. My post is my opinion only so take for what it is worth.

Dave

thx997303

imported post

We don't really expect to need that many, but if we did, we would be glad we had them. After winning a gunfight, nobody says I wish I had a smaller gun, or I wish I had less ammo.

David.Car

imported post

Dukester wrote:
I sometimes shake my head at some of the responses like people carrying 40+ rounds.
That is just 1 extra mag for some weapons basically...

18+1 & another 18 = 37 (2 mags)

Now if you are carrying 40+ of 45 in 6-8 round mags... That seems much to me unless your LEO...

8+1 & another & another & another & another = 41 (5 mags)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dukester wrote:
I carry a speedloader for my SP101 .357Mag. I sometimes forget the speedloader but still feel comfortable with or without. I sometimes shake my head at some of the responses like people carrying 40+ rounds. I think, my gosh, what do they anticipate a firefight? I mean really, unless you live in Bagdad or having flashbacks of Vietnam why all the ammunition?
Most of us carry high capacity pistols so the numbers seem sort of wacky and many of us carry an extra mag more for a backup mag rather than for the extra ammo. If you look at the poll results in the two threads I linked to above you will see:

Over 50% of the members carry 0 or 1 extra mag/speedloader
Another 33% carry 2 extra mags. Looking at the next thread we see that 78% of the members carry 27 or fewer rounds.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey guys keep in mind that is you ever have to use your weapon inSD the DAmay try to argue in court that you have malicious intent for carrying so many rounds, and possibly argue your BUG is intended for malicious intent. I read a account of a guy that went to prison for carrying extra mags because the DA convinced the jury of malicious intent.
I know it is jacked up, but I can see it happening. The same article said if that man which was on trial would have had a better attorney he could have won the case, by stating that most CPL holders imitate LEO's that’s why we carry more ammo. The article also told of stories when CPL holders had to reload their pistol, and that we should carry extra rounds, but we should be ready to justify the extra rounds.

Aegis

imported post

I carry one spare 12+1 Mag in addition to the 12+1 in my XD .40 SC; total = 26 rounds.

If I have to use all 26 rounds, Im pretty well in deep kimchee at that point....put its the same principle as a condom...better to have it and not need it...

Samuel Adams

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
Hey guys keep in mind that is you ever have to use your weapon inSD the DAmay try to argue in court that you have malicious intent for carrying so many rounds, and possibly argue your BUG is intended for malicious intent. I read a account of a guy that went to prison for carrying extra mags because the DA convinced the jury of malicious intent.
I know it is jacked up, but I can see it happening. The same article said if that man which was on trial would have had a better attorney he could have won the case, by stating that most CPL holders imitate LEO's that’s why we carry more ammo. The article also told of stories when CPL holders had to reload their pistol, and that we should carry extra rounds, but we should be ready to justify the extra rounds.
Screw 'em. It's still better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.