Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Incorperated/unincorperated ciies and counties

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    fresno, California, USA
    Posts
    210

    Post imported post

    Does anyone know of a link or something where we can see (possibly a map?) which cities and counties are incorperated or unincorperated? Im worried if my county is;since I live in fresno county i think its a moderatepossibility...

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    poothrowingape wrote:
    Does anyone know of a link or something where we can see (possibly a map?) which cities and counties are incorperated or unincorperated? Im worried if my county is;since I live in fresno county i think its a moderatepossibility...
    Good question for a Cal. expert - a city is by definition incorfporated - Counties are not "incorporated." Anybody have a cite on this issue?

    Obviously you have to know where you are to OC loaded!

  3. #3
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    http://events.cacities.org/cgi-shl/T...xe/Run:WEBLIST

    This is a complete list of ALL the incorporated cities in California.

    If you live within the city limits of Fresno, then you are in an incorporated city.

    I live in Rosamond, which is a town. It is not incorporated, so, with certain limitations I can legally Open Carry a loaded firearm.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Antelope, California, USA
    Posts
    96

    Post imported post

    Just to piggy-back off that question, can anyone point me in the right direction to find definitions of "prohibited areas"? I'm just wondering if there is a standard explanation of common places where discharge of a firearm is illegal.

    Need to be careful, as I too live in an unincorporated town, and wouldn't want to to load unless I am certain that it is okay to do so.



  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley, California, USA
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    poothrowingape wrote:
    Does anyone know of a link or something where we can see (possibly a map?) which cities and counties are incorperated or unincorperated? Im worried if my county is;since I live in fresno county i think its a moderatepossibility...
    I found this which is somewhat helpful, but it lacks roads and other landmarks that would be useful to tell exactly where everything stops and starts.

    Map of Fresno County

    Link to Wikipedia Commons search screen where I found the maps. Type in whatever county you want.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    PRC-E6 wrote:
    Just to piggy-back off that question, can anyone point me in the right direction to find definitions of "prohibited areas"? I'm just wondering if there is a standard explanation of common places where discharge of a firearm is illegal.

    Need to be careful, as I too live in an unincorporated town, and wouldn't want to to load unless I am certain that it is okay to do so.

    PC 12031 (f) As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.

    This will vary from County to County. You will need to look at your County ordinances and see if they have any specific places where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.

    PC 374(c) makes all roads "prohibited areas".

    Fish and Game regulations appear to make certain areas "prohibited areas", but they use phrases like "while hunting" that limit the applicability of the regulations.

    Kern County has no specific County Ordinance making any place a "prohibited area". So as long as I am not in a school zone, or on a road, then I can Open Carry Loaded.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    fresno, California, USA
    Posts
    210

    Post imported post

    wait. whats all this "loaded" talk? am i missing something? i thought incorperation and stuff meant not being able to OC.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Antelope, California, USA
    Posts
    96

    Post imported post

    Whether you are in an incorporated city or not doesn't dictate whether OC is legal or not, it just dictates whether you can be loaded or not.

    12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
    he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
    vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
    incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
    prohibited area of unincorporated territory.


    Decoligny - thanks for the scoop on finding out about the whole "prohibited area" thing.

  9. #9
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    poothrowingape wrote:
    wait. whats all this "loaded" talk? am i missing something? i thought incorperation and stuff meant not being able to OC.
    You should read the statute again. The entirety of 12031 is where loaded weapons are prohibited. Now, there are some 'gun free zones' outlined in other statutes (e.g. school zones).

    In almost a year of carrying I've openly carried loaded maybe 2 times. I live in the city, and am almost always in areas where loaded carry is prohibited.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sebastopol, California, USA
    Posts
    710

    Post imported post

    poothrowingape wrote:
    wait. whats all this "loaded" talk? am i missing something? i thought incorperation and stuff meant not being able to OC.
    The incorporated language is from 12031, which is what makes carrying a loaded firearm illegal. Carrying a handgun concealed or unconcealed is a completely different subject under the law (PC 12025).

    The distinction between unincorporated territory and incorperated territory is for all practical purposes, moot. This is because 12031 makes carrying loaded illegal not only in "incorporated territory" but also in "prohibited areas of unicorporated territory". This includes any public roads, and in most counties, anywhere within 150 yards of any buildings.

    Open Carry in California means unloaded open carry 99.9% of the time.



  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Antelope, California, USA
    Posts
    96

    Post imported post

    MudCamper wrote:
    Open Carry in California means unloaded open carry 99.9% of the time.

    How true,:XI just looked up my county's ordinances, and they were very keen to classifyjust aboutall the unincorporated areas of the county as Prohibited.

    I'm willing to bet that the other counties with large populations have similar rules.



  12. #12
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    MudCamper wrote:
    poothrowingape wrote:
    wait. whats all this "loaded" talk? am i missing something? i thought incorperation and stuff meant not being able to OC.
    The incorporated language is from 12031, which is what makes carrying a loaded firearm illegal. Carrying a handgun concealed or unconcealed is a completely different subject under the law (PC 12025).

    The distinction between unincorporated territory and incorperated territory is for all practical purposes, moot. This is because 12031 makes carrying loaded illegal not only in "incorporated territory" but also in "prohibited areas of unicorporated territory". This includes any public roads, and in most counties, anywhere within 150 yards of any buildings.

    Open Carry in California means unloaded open carry 99.9% of the time.

    I don't know about specific County ordinances as 58 sets of laws are a little much to read through, but if the 150 yards you are talking about is the one mentioned below, then it is only in effect if you are actually ingaged in hunting.



    PC 374(c): DISCHARGING FIREARMS OR OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS : It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner, person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to hunt or to discharge whilehunting, any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 150-yard area is a "safetyzone" (FGC 3004)

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sebastopol, California, USA
    Posts
    710

    Post imported post

    Decoligny wrote:
    I don't know about specific County ordinances as 58 sets of laws are a little much to read through, but if the 150 yards you are talking about is the one mentioned below, then it is only in effect if you are actually ingaged in hunting.
    I'm refering to county codes.

    12031 (f) As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.

    Which means if your county has any restrictions on shooting, then you also cannot load in those areas. Most counties have some kind of shooting restrictions. in Sonoma County, it's within 150 yards of any buildings.

    You may find yours here: http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/



  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    MudCamper wrote:
    Decoligny wrote:
    I don't know about specific County ordinances as 58 sets of laws are a little much to read through, but if the 150 yards you are talking about is the one mentioned below, then it is only in effect if you are actually ingaged in hunting.
    I'm refering to county codes.

    12031 (f) As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.

    Which means if your county has any restrictions on shooting, then you also cannot load in those areas. Most counties have some kind of shooting restrictions. in Sonoma County, it's within 150 yards of any buildings.

    You may find yours here: http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    fresno, California, USA
    Posts
    210

    Post imported post

    ok so incorp/uncorp is only apllying to loaded guns.

    but OCing is totaly legal in cities and stuff.

    As long as you follow those rules, unloaded, no gov't property ect.


    i think your right Ca_libertarian. i better read up some more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •