• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Incorperated/unincorperated ciies and counties

poothrowingape

imported post

Does anyone know of a link or something where we can see (possibly a map?) which cities and counties are incorperated or unincorperated? Im worried if my county is;since I live in fresno county i think its a moderatepossibility...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
Does anyone know of a link or something where we can see (possibly a map?) which cities and counties are incorperated or unincorperated? Im worried if my county is;since I live in fresno county i think its a moderatepossibility...

Good question for a Cal. expert - a city is by definition incorfporated - Counties are not "incorporated." Anybody have a cite on this issue?

Obviously you have to know where you are to OC loaded!

prcE6

imported post

Just to piggy-back off that question, can anyone point me in the right direction to find definitions of "prohibited areas"? I'm just wondering if there is a standard explanation of common places where discharge of a firearm is illegal.

Need to be careful, as I too live in an unincorporated town, and wouldn't want to to load unless I am certain that it is okay to do so.

Mechanic

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley, California, USA
imported post

poothrowingape wrote:

I found this which is somewhat helpful, but it lacks roads and other landmarks that would be useful to tell exactly where everything stops and starts.

Map of Fresno County

Link to Wikipedia Commons search screen where I found the maps. Type in whatever county you want.

Decoligny

imported post

PRC-E6 wrote:
Just to piggy-back off that question, can anyone point me in the right direction to find definitions of "prohibited areas"? I'm just wondering if there is a standard explanation of common places where discharge of a firearm is illegal.

Need to be careful, as I too live in an unincorporated town, and wouldn't want to to load unless I am certain that it is okay to do so.

PC 12031 (f) As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.

This will vary from County to County. You will need to look at your County ordinances and see if they have any specific places where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.

PC 374(c) makes all roads "prohibited areas".

Fish and Game regulations appear to make certain areas "prohibited areas", but they use phrases like "while hunting" that limit the applicability of the regulations.

Kern County has no specific County Ordinance making any place a "prohibited area". So as long as I am not in a school zone, or on a road, then I can Open Carry Loaded.

prcE6

imported post

Whether you are in an incorporated city or not doesn't dictate whether OC is legal or not, it just dictates whether you can be loaded or not.

12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

Decoligny - thanks for the scoop on finding out about the whole "prohibited area" thing.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
wait. whats all this "loaded" talk? am i missing something? i thought incorperation and stuff meant not being able to OC.
You should read the statute again. The entirety of 12031 is where loaded weapons are prohibited. Now, there are some 'gun free zones' outlined in other statutes (e.g. school zones).

In almost a year of carrying I've openly carried loaded maybe 2 times. I live in the city, and am almost always in areas where loaded carry is prohibited.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
wait. whats all this "loaded" talk? am i missing something? i thought incorperation and stuff meant not being able to OC.

The incorporated language is from 12031, which is what makes carrying a loaded firearm illegal. Carrying a handgun concealed or unconcealed is a completely different subject under the law (PC 12025).

The distinction between unincorporated territory and incorperated territory is for all practical purposes, moot. This is because 12031 makes carrying loaded illegal not only in "incorporated territory" but also in "prohibited areas of unicorporated territory". This includes any public roads, and in most counties, anywhere within 150 yards of any buildings.

Open Carry in California means unloaded open carry 99.9% of the time.

prcE6

imported post

MudCamper wrote:

How true,:XI just looked up my county's ordinances, and they were very keen to classifyjust aboutall the unincorporated areas of the county as Prohibited.

I'm willing to bet that the other counties with large populations have similar rules.

Decoligny

imported post

MudCamper wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:

The incorporated language is from 12031, which is what makes carrying a loaded firearm illegal. Carrying a handgun concealed or unconcealed is a completely different subject under the law (PC 12025).

The distinction between unincorporated territory and incorperated territory is for all practical purposes, moot. This is because 12031 makes carrying loaded illegal not only in "incorporated territory" but also in "prohibited areas of unicorporated territory". This includes any public roads, and in most counties, anywhere within 150 yards of any buildings.

I don't know about specific County ordinances as 58 sets of laws are a little much to read through, but if the 150 yards you are talking about is the one mentioned below, then it is only in effect if you are actually ingaged in hunting.

PC 374(c): DISCHARGING FIREARMS OR OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS : It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner, person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 150-yard area is a "safetyzone" (FGC 3004)

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
I don't know about specific County ordinances as 58 sets of laws are a little much to read through, but if the 150 yards you are talking about is the one mentioned below, then it is only in effect if you are actually ingaged in hunting.

I'm refering to county codes.

12031 (f) As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.

Which means if your county has any restrictions on shooting, then you also cannot load in those areas. Most counties have some kind of shooting restrictions. in Sonoma County, it's within 150 yards of any buildings.

You may find yours here: http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

MudCamper wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
I'm refering to county codes.

12031 (f) As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.

Which means if your county has any restrictions on shooting, then you also cannot load in those areas. Most counties have some kind of shooting restrictions. in Sonoma County, it's within 150 yards of any buildings.

You may find yours here: http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com

poothrowingape

imported post

ok so incorp/uncorp is only apllying to loaded guns.

but OCing is totaly legal in cities and stuff.

As long as you follow those rules, unloaded, no gov't property ect.

i think your right Ca_libertarian. i better read up some more.