• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WOAI Radio summarizes June 23, 2008 on air interview with Mike Stollenwerk

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=119078

Proposal to Allow Texans to Openly Carry Handguns

Would amend 'concealed carry' legislation
By Jim Forsyth
Tuesday, June 24, 2008

For fifteen years, Texans who have completed a safety course have been allowed to carry concealed handguns. Now there's a proposal to allow Texans to carry those handguns right out in the open, 1200 WOAI news has learned.

The group is called 'Open Carry' and spokeswoman [sic] Mike Stollenwerk tells 1200 WOAI news it would not result in Texans carrying guns in those floppy hip holsters like John Wayne in western movies.

"Modern gun owners carry their guns in modern holsters, which are typically made of black plastic with straps or clamps," Stollenwerk says. "It looks very normal."

He says many passersby would not even notice that a person was carrying a gun in public, and he says we have gotten so used to a wide variety of law enforcement officers...from police to security guards, carrying guns in the open, the idea of seeing civilians do it would not be a shock.

Texas outlawed the open carrying of firearms in the 1880's. In fact, enforcing the laws forbidding carrying firearms in public inside city limits was, for a time, one of the key duties of the Texas Rangers.

Stollenwerk says it would be a matter of 'personal preference,' and he says when it's hot in Texas during the summer, many gun owners feel uncomfortable carrying guns under their clothes.

"Some people think that open carry deters crime," Stollenwerk said. "But others say concealed carry is better because it allows (a potential criminal) to be surprised."

He says there is no research indicating whether concealed carry or open carry is better in stopping crime, but he says there is plenty of evidence that allowing citizens to carry guns is a deterrent to crime.

But opponents immediately jumped on the proposal, saying it would lead to a 'Wild West' situation.

"There is no evidence that suggests that 'open carry' would be a good idea," said Nina Vinik of the Legal Community Against Violence. "There is no evidence that it would make anyone safer, or that it would have any impact at all on crime."

Stollenwerk, who is a retired Army officer and was once stationed at Ft. Hood, says by definition, it would not be necessary to obtain a 'concealed handgun permit' to carry a handgun that would not be concealed.

"What Texas might want to do is go the 'middle option' and allow the people who hold the concealed carry permit to also open carry," he said.

So far, the proposal is still in the discussion phase, with Stollenwerk and other activists obtaining signatures on an on line petition. No bill allowing 'open carry' has been prepared for the upcoming session of the Legislature.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good report. Thanks Michelle...er I mean Mike. You can be our spokeswoman all you want (not that there's anything wrong with that), but you CANNOT be our pin-up, m-kay? ;)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Good report. Thanks Michelle...er I mean Mike. You can be our spokeswoman all you want (not that there's anything wrong with that), but you CANNOT be our pin-up, m-kay? ;)
You are sick. Fortunately, your married too.

MFuess

imported post

I don't know,

Society has taken a massive turnin receinthistory. As a kid growing up in the 50's & 60's right here in Dallas... we had guns, LOTS of them. There was no discussion of carry or consealed carry. OUR DISCUSSIONS were about gun safety! I had a High Standard .22 pistol and a model 16 Winchester shotgun. Most of my brothers, (5 of them) had rifles, shotguns, and pistols as well.We allcarried them in public, as walking was our primary mode of transportation. We were hardly everstopped by Police for "open carry", however I was occasionally stopped only to find out where I was goingshooting at.

Officer Ringley (oneof the area LEO's) was more vigilant about my .22 in plain sight but he never harassed me. He'd just tell me to "hide"it.I was 14 years old...

As a young adult (in my 20's and way prior to the consealed carry law), I oftenkept a S&W 686 (stainless steel 357 magnum) in my car. But things were changing, FAST! Once the CCL passed, I quit carryingmy pistol until I got my CHL.

So now here it is, 2008. Everyone is pissing & moaning about things we took for granted several decades ago...It was a much simpler time then.

Open carry shouldn't even be a discussion.Texasshould be, and could be, more progressive than this. Unfortunately, we have too manybleeding-heart liberals in pollitical positionsthey don't deserve. Hopefully someday, open carry will be the Law of the Land...