• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk PD OC awareness

danbus

imported post

I was told that the Norfolk PD now teaches it's new recruits about open carry. :)

The funny part is, they are using my picture and are given specific instructions that if they receive a "man with a gun" call and it's me, that they are to ask a supervisor before approaching me.

Does anyone else know of this?

Xeni

imported post

danbus wrote:
I was told that the Norfolk PD now teaches it's new recruits about open carry. :)

The funny part is, they are using my picture and are given specific instructions that if they receive a "man with a gun" call and it's me, that they are to ask a supervisor before approaching me.

Did they get your permission to use your picture? I'd ask for royalties..! :celebrate j/k

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

danbus wrote:
if they receive a "man with a gun" call and it's me, that they are to ask a supervisor before approaching me.

Yeah.. I know of it.. except you are wrong. If they get a "man with a gun call".. they know it is me.. If they get a "BLACK MAN WITH A GUN" call.. THEN they know it's YOU!!!

DSC04673.jpg

P.S. Nice meeting you at the picnic.

jack

Banned
imported post

danbus wrote:

LOL that is too funny !

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dan,

This smells of a 14th amendment violation waiting to happen. Anybody else can get arrested on bogus charges, but the Norfolk PD now seems to be discriminating against your civil right to sue them for being doofuses.

Probably need to petition for an injunction against their discrimination or get a writ of mandamus forcing them to let you sue them just like everybody else.

BTW, since I suggested it, I claim a 10% "finder's fee" on all money you collect. :celebrate

stay safe.

skidmark

Deanimator

imported post

Mike wrote:
Dan - maybe you could offer to be a teaching aid for the police classes?
They could make a "Monty Python" like training film. Danbus is minding his own business when Norfolk cops falsely arrest him. Then a huge lawyer's foot in a Gucci loafer comes down and crushes the cops. ;)

Sheriff

imported post

danbus wrote:

If the above is true, I think it's great stuff if you file any type of claim against Norfolk PD for damages.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah! People can go on police ride-alongs...why not sit-alongs? Maybe Danbus could go to the training sessions and stand up for the recruits after his picture is shown so they can talk with him directly and let him answer any questions they might have.

:celebrate

Sheriff

imported post

I think he should apply for employment with Norfolk PD.

Field training officer. He can teach the recruits. :lol:

And I mean this in a good sort of way of course.

mobeewan

imported post

Sheriff wrote:

If they hired him, they would probablyban him from carrying while on duty. :lol:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mobeewan wrote:
Sheriff wrote:

If they hired him, they would probablyban him from carrying while on duty. :lol:
And he could hand out VCDL membership cards as well as OCDO info....:cool:

sccrref

imported post

Dan, I am printing out the color pic, enlarging it a little to fully cover my face, cut it out and put one of those elastic bands on it to cover my face so that I won't have any problems when I goto Norfolk. Thanks for the laugh.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

danbus wrote:
SNIP The funny part is, they are using my picture and are given specific instructions that if they receive a "man with a gun" call and it's me, that they are to ask a supervisor before approaching me.

What this tells me, if true,is that they are willing to let officers potentially violate everybody elses' (OC'ers) rights; but they are going to be damn careful if its Danbus.

"Ultra-sensitive. This guy knows his law cold. Do not approach. We do not trust that you won't make a mistake and get us all in hot water. However, lots of others may not know the law so well, so go ahead."

Or, perhaps, they do not want to take a chance on an officer doing anythingillegal that, when viewed in light of previous encounters, can possibly be called harassment against Danbus. Meaning, they're more concerned about harassment against Danbus but not the rest of us, and mainly because Danbus has enough info stacked up to make it hurt.

What they really need to do is something along the lines of what was reported through the grapevine some time back about a NoVA police agency. I can't recall which one, but the word was supposedly that officers were told, "Don't mess with the OC'ers. They know the law better than you do."