• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Patriots - New Organization

Fast Ed

imported post

At the Waukesah Gun Show last weekend, there was an organization promoting open carry that I had not come across before. They are called "Wisconsin Patriots" and have a website. http://www.wisconsinpatriots.com/

I talked briefly to one of the people at the table and he said they want to petition each county to pass a resolution supporting open carry as "a citizen's lawful excercise of their constitutionallly protected rights".

I also signed one of their petitions for Waukesha County residents, which I am, and was told they are trying to organize additional petition drives at places that sell guns, like Sportsmans Warehouse and Gander Mountain. He also said they will seek support from the stores for open carry at those petition drives. My opinion is, "If the store doesn't support the open carry, don't hold the petition drive there."

I am not a shill for these guys, but it looked to me like an organization that is supporting the same side of this issue that I support and may be a vehicle to destigmatize open carry or to finally get concealed carry here.

Anybody else know anything about this org?

Fast Ed

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Welcome Fast Ed. Perhaps you will indicate your hometown and state in your profile, please?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=12126&forum_id=57&highlight=wisconsinpatriots

It is my opinion that concealed carry and open carry are incompatible as concealed carry is administered by shall issue States. To conflate (read together to make somehow equivalent) the two except as Alaska and Vermont is misleading because concealment requires a permit (an infringement) and a permit requires training (an infringement) and training is fee based - in the limit selling an exception to an infringed Right.

Now the NRA 'member' will trot out the exceptions that prove the general rule - permitted or mandatory concealed carry is an infringement.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Why is it I am suspicious of groups having the word "patriot" in their name?

Because plenty of groups try to spin and misrepresent their motives and intentions with trite emotion-ridden monikers.

As a result you should always be suspicious... Well perhaps suspicious is not the word, but you should always be very judicious and questioning of the motives of people and groups that have a cause.

Everyone has a cause. Everyone has a purpose.

No sooner than you should turn on the news and believe what you hear should you see the name of a group and assume anything about them.

Just as it would be unwise to hear the name "patriot" and assume the best of intentions, or even intentions that might represent what you think "patriot" means, it would be equally as unwise to hear the name "patriot" and make a judgement or assumption of malfeasance.

Don't be a sheep, don't assume. Always question, always investigate, always look past names and spin. Do your homework and you'll know more.

----------------

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed" - Mark Twain

Fast Ed

imported post

I am a lot more suspicious of every group that has the word "coalition" in its namethan groups that have the word "Patriot" intheir name.

I just want to be able to carry a gun to defend myself and myfamily, (more so than myself), without being hassled, having to be permitted to do so by the government, arrested, shot by a sworn officer, or otherwise impeded from that defense. I really don't think that is too much to ask.

A law-abiding citizen, by definition, is only a threat to criminals and despots.Despots being the reason we don't have concealed carry in Wisconsin. Specifically, Diamond Jim Doyle, the worst governor money can buy.

Fast Ed

Rick Finsta

imported post

Hey Ed! I was manning the table from about 0915 to about 1330, with a short break around 1200. Brandon (can't remember his name on this forum) was the gentleman with the brown shirt, I was wearing a black polo, Pete Lenti (not on this forum, IIRC) is the large man with the mustache, and Parabellum was the large man with the long black hair.

Thanks for the support, and thanks for spreading the word! As far as motives go, we really aren't looking to change any laws right now, we just want to change public perception of open carry so we may go lawfully about our business while armed. In the long run, most of us would like to see comprehensive carry laws passed (not mandated CCW), but we are really not pushing anything to that effect currently.

Note - the following is not "official Wisconsin Patriots ideology." Since we are simply a group of like-minded individuals, we have varying viewpoints when it comes to the ideal carry laws. This is my take, or my goals, which are subject to change at a later date as I observe the battle!

Most importantly for me, would be an actual law with which to have reciprocity. I think that the next 5-10 years will see more and more widespread acceptance of carry permits accross State lines, and I want to be on that train. I don't want onerous or expensive training or long waits and excessive fees. I also would like to keep open carry permit-free. This is so we don't lose anything we currently have (though it is arguable we "have" this now, since so few use it), but it satisfies the needs of the current political environment.

I update my blog with news several times per week, which I often link on this forum as well.

Virtus Honoris

imported post

IMO I don't beleivea constitutional right should require a permit.

Should we go to the Sheriff and apply for a permit to excersize our free speech rights, how about a permit for the right to remain silent, or a permit for the right of due process.

Why then a permit only for the free excersize of our right to keep and bear arms?

A permit for open carry is another opportunity for legislators to regulated our right that can not be infringed.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

jrm wrote:
Well, gee Pointman, I'm trying to get involved and do more than type on the Internet, but not one single person in WI has said that he is willing to be a plaintiff in a declaratory judgment action, despite my repeated suggestions to do so. As soon as someone with standing comes forward, I'll take the case (i.e., put down my scarce time to help out your cause).

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=8217&forum_id=57&jump_to=203123#p203123

Maybe you people should take action. It is your state.

Rick Finsta

imported post

With all due respect, Malum (love the handle, BTW), we are actively working. We are simply taking a different approach than litigation. I personally feel (and I think many of the other WP members are on board with me here) that a simple court case won't motivate people. I think that by getting out and talking to people, we are swelling the grassroots, and hopefully motivating others to join us in exercising their rights as well. We have many people come to talk with us that say their coworker/brother/son/friend told them about us, and I think that's the way to get people to notice, instead of a blurb about a declaratory judgement in the metro section of the Journal/Sentinel.

Don't get me wrong, I am open to litigation as a viable option, and would even like to see it concurrently as a talking point (as Parabellum's case is now, unfortunately). If JRM would be willing, I'm sure Parabellum would love to have his help, and I would certainly encourage you to get in touch with him, and I will offer whatever help I can.

In the meantime, I will stay an educator.

Virtus- I also agree that a permit system for a right is distasteful (to say the least), but I think that if we start with that, as the culture nationwide changes, the laws will become more and more liberal. I only fear that a permit system would make enough people complacent that it would be harder and harder to make incremental changes.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
With all due respect, Malum (love the handle, BTW), we are actively working. We are simply taking a different approach than litigation. I personally feel (and I think many of the other WP members are on board with me here) that a simple court case won't motivate people.

I am all for different opinions, and you know your situation better than I do, but I ask you to consider the following:

(1) The goal of litigation is not to motivate people. It is to win. After you win, the police will be on notice. No more harassment.

(2) The win, and the benefit it brings even to nonmembers, will buy your org instant respect and credibility.

(3) Talk does none of the above.

I wish you all the best, and I hope your approach works for you in the end, but I felt like I could not give up without at least saying that much. ;)

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
I agree, andourcounty resolutions are meant to "put law enforcement on notice." Hopefully they work!
You don't know if they will work yet or this is something you haver not yet done? Could you link us to the county notice?

Rick Finsta

imported post

July 12 is going to be a big day for us... we'll keep you all posted.

So far we have not passed any of the resolutions, Malum, we are still collecting signatures. The resolutions seemed to work in IL, as they've already emboldened one county to look at CCW permitting independant of the state.