Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waiting too long for CPL

Post imported post

My buddy is at about 5 months without his permit (Wayne County). He went to the Sherrif's dept. the other day and they apologized and said they would find out what was going on and he should have his license very soon (his wife turned her's in about two weeks after him and she hasn't receivedit either).

My question is they are supposed to issue your license or a denial in 45 days, what if they don't? What recourse does a person have when the local government is not following the rules?

Post imported post

Well, I believe the 45 days comes AFTER your fingerprint results are returned. Not that it should take that long, mine took just a few weeks in Saginaw County, but my dad waited for a few months for his in Tuscola County.

State Researcher

Post imported post

MCL § 28.425b(10) and (14):
    (10) The fingerprints shall be taken, under subsection (9), on forms and in a manner prescribed by the department of state police. The fingerprints shall be immediately forwarded to the department of state police for comparison with fingerprints already on file with the department of state police. The department of state police shall forward the fingerprints to the federal bureau of investigation. Within 10 days after receiving a report of the fingerprints from the federal bureau of investigation, the department of state police shall provide a copy to the submitting sheriff's department or local police agency as appropriate and the clerk of the appropriate concealed weapon licensing board. Except as provided in subsection (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall not issue a concealed pistol license until it receives the fingerprint comparison report prescribed in this subsection. The concealed weapon licensing board may deny a license if an individual's fingerprints are not classifiable by the federal bureau of investigation.

(14) If the fingerprint comparison report is not received by the concealed weapon licensing board within 60 days after the fingerprint report is forwarded to the department of state police by the federal bureau of investigation, the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue a temporary license to carry a concealed pistol to the applicant if the applicant is otherwise qualified for a license. A temporary license issued under this section is valid for 180 days or until the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10) and issues or denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol as otherwise provided under this act. Upon issuance or the denial of issuance of the license to carry a concealed pistol to an applicant who received a temporary license under this section, the applicant shall immediately surrender the temporary license to the concealed weapon licensing board that issued that temporary license.

Any questions?
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    MCL § 28.425b(10) and (14):
    (10) The fingerprints shall be taken, under subsection (9), on forms and in a manner prescribed by the department of state police. The fingerprints shall be immediately forwarded to the department of state police for comparison with fingerprints already on file with the department of state police. The department of state police shall forward the fingerprints to the federal bureau of investigation. Within 10 days after receiving a report of the fingerprints from the federal bureau of investigation, the department of state police shall provide a copy to the submitting sheriff's department or local police agency as appropriate and the clerk of the appropriate concealed weapon licensing board. Except as provided in subsection (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall not issue a concealed pistol license until it receives the fingerprint comparison report prescribed in this subsection. The concealed weapon licensing board may deny a license if an individual's fingerprints are not classifiable by the federal bureau of investigation.

(14) If the fingerprint comparison report is not received by the concealed weapon licensing board within 60 days after the fingerprint report is forwarded to the department of state police by the federal bureau of investigation, the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue a temporary license to carry a concealed pistol to the applicant if the applicant is otherwise qualified for a license. A temporary license issued under this section is valid for 180 days or until the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10) and issues or denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol as otherwise provided under this act. Upon issuance or the denial of issuance of the license to carry a concealed pistol to an applicant who received a temporary license under this section, the applicant shall immediately surrender the temporary license to the concealed weapon licensing board that issued that temporary license.

Any questions?
    Ah yes.. forgot about this.. sorry... Like I said, no problems in Saginaw County, and I haven't heard of anybody else having any either:celebrate

Post imported post

I just applied last week in Jackson County and they told me it would take 3 months to get mine.

Update: got it in 22 days.

Post imported post

Mine took 9 weeks, start to finish, in Jackson.

Post imported post

Mine took 5 days, applied on monday, gun board on tuesday, picked up permit on friday. Gun board interview lasted about 20 seconds. This was houghton county.

Post imported post

I applied for mine in Genesee County on June 2. Picked it up today.

Post imported post

bigbad45 wrote:
    I applied for mine in Genesee County on June 2. Picked it up today.
    Congrats!!! Less than 4 weeks is good for Genesee. Mine took about 6-7 weeks.

Post imported post

I guess my question still stands, what can you do if they take longer (MUCH longer) than they're supposed to?

Post imported post

ChuckB wrote:
    I guess my question still stands, what can you do if they take longer (MUCH longer) than they're supposed to?
    Sign up at Michigan Gun Owners forum (MCRGO) and ask Jim Simmons (the mod for the Legal Beagal forum). He's pretty good about giving advice on the forum.

Post imported post

Good call. I actually have signed up there and I will do just that...... Thanks!

Post imported post

ghostrider wrote:
    ChuckB wrote:
    Sign up at Michigan Gun Owners forum (MGO) and ask Jim Simmons (the mod for the Legal Beagal forum). He's pretty good about giving advice on the forum.
    Fixed it for ya Ghost.

Also, do not, under any circumstances, mention MCRGO over at MGO. You will not gain brownie points by doing so.

Post imported post

OK now I'm confused, I've never heard of MGO, But I've only been a gun owner for less than a year. Should I check this site out? And should I ask my question at both MCRGO and MGO?

Post imported post

ChuckB wrote:
    OK now I'm confused, I've never heard of MGO, But I've only been a gun owner for less than a year. Should I check this site out? And should I ask my question at both MCRGO and MGO?
    http://www.migunowners.org/forum/index.php MGO

http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/ MCRGO

Yes.

Yes, but don't mention MCRGO in your question to MGO.

Post imported post

Carolyn from S.C. I am having a similar problem with New Hampshire except that my husband received his permit in March after I mailed both of them in February I haved called them and they told me that I should hear something soon,but this is June. Do any one out there got any helpful hints?

Post imported post

Carolyn wrote:
    Carolyn from S.C. I am having a similar problem with New Hampshire except that my husband received his permit in March after I mailed both of them in February I haved called them and they told me that I should hear something soon,but this is June. Do any one out there got any helpful hints?
    Welcome to OCDO Carolyn.

You should post your questions/concerns in the N.H. & S.C. sub forums. The folks in those areasare more knowledgeable thanus here in the Michigan sub forum.

Post imported post

you are even going to have a longer wait due to the fire at the city county building last friday. gun board meeting for july is canceled

Post imported post

khicks wrote:
    you are even going to have a longer wait due to the fire at the city county building last friday. gun board meeting for july is canceled

Thats not the problem of the applicant. They can issue a temp permit, and they have to if they delay too long.

Post imported post

that is true, waco can issue a temp. waco on the other hand takes as long to issue a temp as the reguler cpl

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Post imported post

i dropped off my package at the courthouse and got my prints on the same day. from that time, it was maybe a month until i got my card in the mail. no questions asked. saint clair county.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Post imported post

I took care of the paperwork and prints at the Oakland County municipal center, and got my CPL two weeks (to the day) later.

Post imported post

i apologize for not having a source, but i believe i read somewhere that the secretary of state, terri land, would like to standardize cpl licensing throughout the state. and the license would be issued from any of the secretary of state offices and would be more like a driver's license. i am 100% behind this idea if it will be more convenient and speed the process up. if anyone knows anything about this, i would appreciate more info. also, terri land is a member of MCRGO.

Post imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
    i apologize for not having a source, but i believe i read somewhere that the secretary of state, terri land, would like to standardize cpl licensing throughout the state. and the license would be issued from any of the secretary of state offices and would be more like a driver's license. i am 100% behind this idea if it will be more convenient and speed the process up. if anyone knows anything about this, i would appreciate more info. also, terri land is a member of MCRGO.
    Do you mean adding the CPL to the drivers license such as a chauffeurs or CDL endorsement? If so, that may not be a bad idea as you need only to provide one piece of ID for both DL and CPL, of course when necessary.

Post imported post

no, i believe it would still be a physically separate id card. the difference would be the whole process would be streamlined and much more convenient.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast