• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waiting too long for CPL

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i dropped off my package at the courthouse and got my prints on the same day. from that time, it was maybe a month until i got my card in the mail. no questions asked. saint clair county.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i apologize for not having a source, but i believe i read somewhere that the secretary of state, terri land, would like to standardize cpl licensing throughout the state. and the license would be issued from any of the secretary of state offices and would be more like a driver's license. i am 100% behind this idea if it will be more convenient and speed the process up. if anyone knows anything about this, i would appreciate more info. also, terri land is a member of MCRGO.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
i apologize for not having a source, but i believe i read somewhere that the secretary of state, terri land, would like to standardize cpl licensing throughout the state. and the license would be issued from any of the secretary of state offices and would be more like a driver's license. i am 100% behind this idea if it will be more convenient and speed the process up. if anyone knows anything about this, i would appreciate more info. also, terri land is a member of MCRGO.
Do you mean adding the CPL to the drivers license such as a chauffeurs or CDL endorsement? If so, that may not be a bad idea as you need only to provide one piece of ID for both DL and CPL, of course when necessary.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

no, i believe it would still be a physically separate id card. the difference would be the whole process would be streamlined and much more convenient.

Furner

imported post

no, i believe it would still be a physically separate id card. the difference would be the whole process would be streamlined and much more convenient.

That would still be good I guess, although the most convenient SoS office is not a place I like to be at, but parking is free unlike the county building.
And if they could get the card to:
1) look real and not like it was made at home
2) fit in my wallet

then I would be all for it.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ok, sometimes i have a hard time following the journey of a bill through our state congress, but it looks like it was possibly introduced in 2005 in SB 0374. i think the portion that would have allowed the secretary of state to issue the cpl was removed at some point along the way.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(eulmrl3fxmu5rh455lgp4n55))/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2005-SB-0374
would be nice to see the issue resurrected at some point.

Greggy_D

imported post

You need to find out what is going on.

(10) The fingerprints shall be taken, under subsection (9), on forms and in a manner prescribed by the department of state police. The fingerprints shall be immediately forwarded to the department of state police for comparison with fingerprints already on file with the department of state police. The department of state police shall forward the fingerprints to the federal bureau of investigation. Within 10 days after receiving a report of the fingerprints from the federal bureau of investigation, the department of state police shall provide a copy to the submitting sheriff's department or local police agency as appropriate and the clerk of the appropriate concealed weapon licensing board. Except as provided in subsection (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall not issue a concealed pistol license until it receives the fingerprint comparison report prescribed in this subsection. The concealed weapon licensing board may deny a license if an individual's fingerprints are not classifiable by the federal bureau of investigation.

[align=center]* * *[/align]
(14) If the fingerprint comparison report is not received by the concealed weapon licensing board within 60 days after the fingerprint report is forwarded to the department of state police by the federal bureau of investigation, the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue a temporary license to carry a concealed pistol to the applicant if the applicant is otherwise qualified for a license. A temporary license issued under this section is valid for 180 days or until the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10) and issues or denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol as otherwise provided under this act. Upon issuance or the denial of issuance of the license to carry a concealed pistol to an applicant who received a temporary license under this section, the applicant shall immediately surrender the temporary license to the concealed weapon licensing board that issued that temporary license.

SIS-Kimber45

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Wayne county sheriffs office tells me the gun board has not met in a while and my app should be seen at the next one...I think they are just jerkin me off. Call the office downtown Detroit and all that number does is ring off the hook...They sure took my money in a hurry. What can I do?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SIS-Kimber45 wrote:
Wayne county sheriffs office tells me the gun board has not met in a while and my app should be seen at the next one...I think they are just jerkin me off. Call the office downtown Detroit and all that number does is ring off the hook...They sure took my money in a hurry. What can I do?

SIS, this probably has something to do with it. See Link.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27167

warlockmatized

imported post

SIS-Kimber45 wrote:
Just got a reply from the AG's office asking what CPL stands for....I think I'm screwed.
I wouldn't be too discouraged by that. MOST people still know it as a CCW, Even my local sheriff's office still has a BIG sign pointing to the CPL package that says CCW info, though everyting inside the package clearly states it is for a CPL. Talk about confusing lol.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
SIS-Kimber45 wrote:
Just got a reply from the AG's office asking what CPL stands for....I think I'm screwed.
I wouldn't be too discouraged by that. MOST people still know it as a CCW, Even my local sheriff's office still has a BIG sign pointing to the CPL package that says CCW info, though everyting inside the package clearly states it is for a CPL. Talk about confusing lol.
you're right, i've had some blank stares from fellow cpl holders when i've referred to it as such. they say, "oh, you mean ccw?" i say "no, look at the license, a ccw generally includes knives and rifles."

warlockmatized

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
SIS-Kimber45 wrote:
you're right, i've had some blank stares from fellow cpl holders when i've referred to it as such. they say, "oh, you mean ccw?" i say "no, look at the license, a ccw generally includes knives and rifles."
CPL is the privilage of carrying a concealed pistol granted by obtaining the license. CCW is now a crime you are charged with, when breaking the law for carrying illegal weapons.