• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waiting too long for CPL

ChuckB

imported post

My buddy is at about 5 months without his permit (Wayne County). He went to the Sherrif's dept. the other day and they apologized and said they would find out what was going on and he should have his license very soon (his wife turned her's in about two weeks after him and she hasn't receivedit either).

My question is they are supposed to issue your license or a denial in 45 days, what if they don't? What recourse does a person have when the local government is not following the rules?

SQLtables

imported post

Well, I believe the 45 days comes AFTER your fingerprint results are returned. Not that it should take that long, mine took just a few weeks in Saginaw County, but my dad waited for a few months for his in Tuscola County.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

MCL § 28.425b(10) and (14):
(10) The fingerprints shall be taken, under subsection (9), on forms and in a manner prescribed by the department of state police. The fingerprints shall be immediately forwarded to the department of state police for comparison with fingerprints already on file with the department of state police. The department of state police shall forward the fingerprints to the federal bureau of investigation. Within 10 days after receiving a report of the fingerprints from the federal bureau of investigation, the department of state police shall provide a copy to the submitting sheriff's department or local police agency as appropriate and the clerk of the appropriate concealed weapon licensing board. Except as provided in subsection (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall not issue a concealed pistol license until it receives the fingerprint comparison report prescribed in this subsection. The concealed weapon licensing board may deny a license if an individual's fingerprints are not classifiable by the federal bureau of investigation.

[align=center]* * *[/align](14) If the fingerprint comparison report is not received by the concealed weapon licensing board within 60 days after the fingerprint report is forwarded to the department of state police by the federal bureau of investigation, the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue a temporary license to carry a concealed pistol to the applicant if the applicant is otherwise qualified for a license. A temporary license issued under this section is valid for 180 days or until the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10) and issues or denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol as otherwise provided under this act. Upon issuance or the denial of issuance of the license to carry a concealed pistol to an applicant who received a temporary license under this section, the applicant shall immediately surrender the temporary license to the concealed weapon licensing board that issued that temporary license.
Any questions?

SQLtables

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
MCL § 28.425b(10) and (14):
(10) The fingerprints shall be taken, under subsection (9), on forms and in a manner prescribed by the department of state police. The fingerprints shall be immediately forwarded to the department of state police for comparison with fingerprints already on file with the department of state police. The department of state police shall forward the fingerprints to the federal bureau of investigation. Within 10 days after receiving a report of the fingerprints from the federal bureau of investigation, the department of state police shall provide a copy to the submitting sheriff's department or local police agency as appropriate and the clerk of the appropriate concealed weapon licensing board. Except as provided in subsection (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall not issue a concealed pistol license until it receives the fingerprint comparison report prescribed in this subsection. The concealed weapon licensing board may deny a license if an individual's fingerprints are not classifiable by the federal bureau of investigation.

[align=center]* * *[/align](14) If the fingerprint comparison report is not received by the concealed weapon licensing board within 60 days after the fingerprint report is forwarded to the department of state police by the federal bureau of investigation, the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue a temporary license to carry a concealed pistol to the applicant if the applicant is otherwise qualified for a license. A temporary license issued under this section is valid for 180 days or until the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10) and issues or denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol as otherwise provided under this act. Upon issuance or the denial of issuance of the license to carry a concealed pistol to an applicant who received a temporary license under this section, the applicant shall immediately surrender the temporary license to the concealed weapon licensing board that issued that temporary license.
Any questions?
Ah yes.. forgot about this.. sorry... Like I said, no problems in Saginaw County, and I haven't heard of anybody else having any either:celebrate

redneckdan

imported post

Mine took 5 days, applied on monday, gun board on tuesday, picked up permit on friday. Gun board interview lasted about 20 seconds. This was houghton county.

ghostrider

imported post

ChuckB wrote:
I guess my question still stands, what can you do if they take longer (MUCH longer) than they're supposed to?
Sign up at Michigan Gun Owners forum (MCRGO) and ask Jim Simmons (the mod for the Legal Beagal forum). He's pretty good about giving advice on the forum.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
ChuckB wrote:
I guess my question still stands, what can you do if they take longer (MUCH longer) than they're supposed to?
Sign up at Michigan Gun Owners forum (MGO) and ask Jim Simmons (the mod for the Legal Beagal forum). He's pretty good about giving advice on the forum.

Fixed it for ya Ghost. :)

Also, do not, under any circumstances, mention MCRGO over at MGO. You will not gain brownie points by doing so.

ChuckB

imported post

OK now I'm confused, I've never heard of MGO, But I've only been a gun owner for less than a year. Should I check this site out? And should I ask my question at both MCRGO and MGO?

Carolyn

imported post

Carolyn from S.C. I am having a similar problem with New Hampshire except that my husband received his permit in March after I mailed both of them in February I haved called them and they told me that I should hear something soon,but this is June. Do any one out there got any helpful hints?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Carolyn wrote:
Carolyn from S.C. I am having a similar problem with New Hampshire except that my husband received his permit in March after I mailed both of them in February I haved called them and they told me that I should hear something soon,but this is June. Do any one out there got any helpful hints?

Welcome to OCDO Carolyn.

You should post your questions/concerns in the N.H. & S.C. sub forums. The folks in those areasare more knowledgeable thanus here in the Michigan sub forum.

khicks

imported post

you are even going to have a longer wait due to the fire at the city county building last friday. gun board meeting for july is canceled

Furner

imported post

khicks wrote:
you are even going to have a longer wait due to the fire at the city county building last friday. gun board meeting for july is canceled

Thats not the problem of the applicant. They can issue a temp permit, and they have to if they delay too long.