• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waiting too long for CPL

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
smellslikemichigan wrote:
warlockmatized wrote:
SIS-Kimber45 wrote:
Just got a reply from the AG's office asking what CPL stands for....I think I'm screwed.
I wouldn't be too discouraged by that. MOST people still know it as a CCW, Even my local sheriff's office still has a BIG sign pointing to the CPL package that says CCW info, though everyting inside the package clearly states it is for a CPL. Talk about confusing lol.
you're right, i've had some blank stares from fellow cpl holders when i've referred to it as such. they say, "oh, you mean ccw?" i say "no, look at the license, a ccw generally includes knives and rifles."
CPL is the privilage of carrying a concealed pistol granted by obtaining the license. CCW is now a crime you are charged with, when breaking the law for carrying illegal weapons.
i was referring to the way other states classify the license. in arizona, for example, you can carry firearms or knives with blades over 4 inches. they call their license a ccw permit. our permit does not cover anything except pistols, hence cpl.

SIS-Kimber45

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Called the Wayne Co sheriffs office today and. I'm being told it should be this month.......7 months and counting..Hopefully no criminals give me any trouble.:banghead:

Tucker6900

imported post

SIS-Kimber45 wrote:
Called the Wayne Co sheriffs office today and. I'm being told it should be this month.......7 months and counting..Hopefully no criminals give me any trouble.:banghead:
Well, you can still open carry. You dont need a CPL for that!

Tucker6900

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Do you mean adding the CPL to the drivers license such as a chauffeurs or CDL endorsement? If so, that may not be a bad idea as you need only to provide one piece of ID for both DL and CPL, of course when necessary.

Thats not a bad idea at all!!

Corrective lenses Required: NO

Height: 6'3"

Eyecolor: blue

Hair color: Blond:

CPL Endorsement: YES

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Do you mean adding the CPL to the drivers license such as a chauffeurs or CDL endorsement? If so, that may not be a bad idea as you need only to provide one piece of ID for both DL and CPL, of course when necessary.

Thats not a bad idea at all!!

Corrective lenses Required: NO

Height: 6'3"

Eyecolor: blue

Hair color: Blond:

CPL Endorsement: YES
This I think has been bounced around by the legislature. I believe it may be dead for now.

ghostrider

imported post

SIS-Kimber45 wrote:
My freakin laywer advises against open carry in this state.....to many conflicting rules and, regulation to try and teach the cops.:cuss:
Don't feel bad. The lawyer who taught the legal section of my CPL class told me that local units of government could ban OC, and that state preemption only applied to CC. Of course, when I checked with Jim Simmons on this he corrected me, and then I was very surprised when I read the Ferndale decision. There are no less conflicting rules about OC than CC. Actually less, providing you have a CPL.

Your lawyer is right about one thing though. If you don't want to explain to people (be they LEO or otherwise), then you probably shouldn't OC.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That is because he is a lawyer...

He is supposed to tell you what to do to avoid trouble.

But some things are worth the trouble, and ensuring that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is not infringed is one of them.

Tucker6900

imported post

SIS-Kimber45 wrote:
My freakin laywer advises against open carry in this state.....to many conflicting rules and, regulation to try and teach the cops.:cuss:

Sounds like its time for a new lawyer. Although his opinion and advising is probably well intentioned, it doesnt sound like hes really willing to defend your right to open carry, and shouldn't be lining his pockets with your hard earned $$$.

DanM

imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
Sounds like its time for a new lawyer. Although his opinion and advising is probably well intentioned, it doesnt sound like hes really willing to defend your right to open carry, and shouldn't be lining his pockets with your hard earned $$$.
Yah, I don't think I would pay dollars to a lawyer who didn't fully know the area of law he's advising me on. Kind of like I wouldn't hire and pay a doctor I'm talking to about myheart ailment if he's getting things wrong about cardiology but he seems really sharp about neurology. Turns out he may be a brilliant neurosurgeon but he's not really the bestcardiologist I could find with a little more shopping around.

SIS-Kimber45

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I truly do not want to test the laws when they are not clear and, concise. If nobody really know what the laws are we just do not get to make them up....I still keep and bear arms every day!