• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Running plates or License to get permit information

PT111

imported post

When you are pulled over and the LEO runs your license plates or your drivers license in your state does it return information if you have a permit?

In SC I had heard that the CWP and Drivers license were tied together as they use the same picture, signature and everything. The only difference is the color of the bar at the top, it says Concealed Weapons Permit instead of Drivers License and has a different number. Since then I have been told by both a dispatcher and a po0liceman that there is no link between the CWP and drivers license or vehicle registration and cannot be looked up from either. I suppose that they could by using the name but would have to be a separate query.

How does you state handle it and do you know for sure? If it is linked to vehicle registration what good does it do if you are driving someone else's car?

LEO 229

imported post

Each state and department will vary on the technology they have in place.

The Virginia state police use the radio and must request vehicle and OL information as needed.

Many departments that have computers have the ability to obtain all registered owners when the vehicle tag is ran. I believe Virginia sends this out automatically. In the past, departments had to run the tag, write down the OL, and then run the OL too.

With the technology getting more advanced... I predict that all states will return registered owners with the vehicle tag being ran.

This is done nine times out of ten by officers.

Sheriff

imported post

As far as Virginia, this was posted in another subject by a Charlottesville/Albemarle dispatcher....

-------------------------------------------------------------

member muzz3256

When an officer stops a vehicle, they do give us the plate number, which is logged into CAD, the plate of the vehicle is then automatically run through DMV, VCIN, and NCIC by CAD. We do not give the officers a read back on the plates at all, unless there is a problem, for instance, the officer said he pulled over a red Dodge Ram, and the plates come back to a blue Ford Taurus. Then the officer is supposed to go and get the DL of the driver of the vehicle, and run their DL number to get their status, and that’s where the CHP hit comes in. I as a dispatcher am not allowed to just run the status of the registered owners when the officer pulls the vehicle over because the status of the owners is protected information, which can get me in trouble, plus it's a misdemeanor to run someone that is not part of a criminal investigation.

Now in this area, because it's a pretty small location, some of the officers know certain, how shall I put this, less law abiding citizens who drive on suspended licenses or on expired plates, and will have us run a plate and ask us to run the status of the registered owner, I would hope because they know that the person who is driving is the person who owns the vehicle. In that case we would give them both the information of the vehicle and the information of the registered owner, including a CHP hit if it came up.

Now here comes the new part, Mobile Data Terminals:

Pretty much all of the county cars and a handful of the city cars have MDT's installed in them now, and this give the officer the ability to run anyone, registered owner and all, BUT they are just as accountable to the State Police (they are the ones who regulate the access) as to having to justify why they ran someone, and if it was not part of a criminal investigation, then they can get into legal trouble.
Now I know that there used to be some dispatchers that wanted to be pretty proactive and do things like this, but it is now generally discouraged, as we do not want to be disemminating protected information if it's not part of a criminal investigation.

*PLEASE NOTE THE THE VIEWS THAT I EXPRESS HERE ARE NOT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER, NOR IS ANYTHING I SAY THE POLICY OF MY EMPLOYER, THEY ARE JUST OBSERVATIONS AND MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION.*

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In Missouri, all MO CCW owners are listed in MULES (Missouri uniform law enforcement system) and when any MO LEO runs your license/state ID/name it pulls up that you have a CCW. I don't know if they are allowed to run your name in MULES and find the CCW if they run a plate and you come up as the registered user, but they certainly have the capability. The good news is that CCW info is only available to LE.

That is the reason that I have stated I would inform an LEO up front that I have a firearm if in an ID situation even though it is not required as they will find out that I am at least licensed to carry as soon as they run my info anyway.

forum

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
I've heard in CO they put CCW holders in the state "Persons of Interest" catagory. So if they run yer DL, Boing!!! Up comes your CCW data!
That is correct, here in CO we go right into the same database as all the criminals. I almost didn't get one just for that reason, but I go into denver often enough that it will be useful.

Sheriff

imported post

forum wrote:
Evil Ernie wrote:
I've heard in CO they put CCW holders in the state "Persons of Interest" catagory. So if they run yer DL, Boing!!! Up comes your CCW data!
That is correct, here in CO we go right into the same database as all the criminals. I almost didn't get one just for that reason, but I go into denver often enough that it will be useful.

Doesn't this in any way show you guys what law enforcement thinks of a citizen with a gun?

It makes me mad as hell when I see people comment on how cops support citizen gun rights. They don't. :cuss:

Evil Ernie

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
forum wrote:
Evil Ernie wrote:

Doesn't this in any way show you guys what law enforcement thinks of a citizen with a gun?

It makes me mad as hell when I see people comment on how cops support citizen gun rights. They don't. :cuss:
It's not so much the cops (at least not here in Douglas Co or El Paso Co) but the legislature. They are the ones that wanted it. Unfortunately, the Sheriffs who issue the CCW's have to comply. Now there are some Counties that keep their own database, but that is at the Sheriffs discretion, and not a requirement.

Sheriff

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
It's not so much the cops (at least not here in Douglas Co or El Paso Co) but the legislature. They are the ones that wanted it.
I'm not so sure about that. Our legislature passes laws thatlaw enforcementofficials endorse and ask for. They also refuse to pass laws thatlaw enforcementofficials ask them not to approve. Most recent examples were the seat belt law and concealed carry in restaurants serving alcohol.

The legislature refused to givelaw enforcementthe right to pull somebody over for failing to wear a seat belt. They said the law would be used and abused just to have cause to pull people over and look/search for other crimes. And I agree with them 100%.

I do not agree with failing to pass the bill that would have alloweda concealed carry in restaurants serving alcohol. The ABC board opposed the passage of this bill. I feel if some drunk is out of control and raising hell in a bar, I don't want him to see an open carrygun that he can possibly grab and use against others duringhis alcohol induced stupor.

edit for TYPO

Legba

imported post

They are linked records in Ohio, but the law still requires you to identify yourself as a permit holder when stopped.

-ljp

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In Texas, yes, a driver's license is tied to a CHL, and you are required to present both if you are detained (like for speeding) and are carrying concealed at the time. If you are not carrying concealed, it is not a crime not to provide your CHL, however cops don't like surprises, and many a CHL holder in Texas has been chewed out for not informing them of that fact even though they weren't required. It's common practice therefore to always hand it over, or to give fair warning that you are a CHL holder but not carrying.

The plates are tied to the vehicle, not the driver; the registration may or may not have your name on it, and they don't care as long as the plate matches the car and you are insured to drive it.

Sheriff

imported post

I'm glad Virginia doesn't have any stupid law that requires a person inform a cop that you have a concealed weapon during a routine traffic stop.

I have also always felt the preaching of how to act when stopped is downright goofy. You know the preaching I am speaking of..... the "put your hands on the steering wheel, tell the cop you have a gun, don't make any sudden movements!", it's all BS in my opinion. Whenever I stopped anybody and they acted out this foolishness, it made me overly suspicious of what they might be trying to hide by being so cooperative.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

In WA no duty to inform but they will find out when they run ya.

A lot of the local cops I know are rather pro gun. YMMV but around where I live I've met some pretty decent cops (despite my problems with Oly PD)

1CITIZEN

imported post

Just to avoid any confusion, the Legislature did pass the restaurant bill; it was our illustrious Governor’s refusal to sign the bill that currently forbids carry of concealed handguns in restaurants serving alcohol.

To make matters worse, I suspect B.O. will select Kaine as his running mate, and Kaine will likely be our next V. President!

Sheriff

imported post

Silentman wrote:
Just to avoid any confusion, the Legislature did pass the restaurant bill; it was our illustrious Governor’s refusal to sign the bill that currently forbids carry of concealed handguns in restaurants serving alcohol.

To make matters worse, I suspect B.O. will select Kaine as his running mate, and Kaine will likely be our next V. President!

Now that I think of it, you are right. Kaine and his foolishness.

I doubt seriously that Osama will ask him to be his running mate though.

EDITD FOR TYPO