Thread: How safe are your firearms in an emergency?

Post imported post

...from the police, that is. It seems that despite all the uproar over Katrina, our state and local governments have not learned any lessons about how to deal with disasters.

About halfway down is the part where the firearm thefts are talked about. I didn't realize this had happened.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    ...from the police, that is. It seems that despite all the uproar over Katrina, our state and local governments have not learned any lessons about how to deal with disasters.

About halfway down is the part where the firearm thefts are talked about. I didn't realize this had happened.
    They are only as safe as I have made them.

Did I ask my legislators to introduce bills prohibiting the confiscation of otherwise legal weapons during civil disturbances? Did I support my legislators during the floor debates on their bills? Did I support them afterwards, including helping them get re-elected?

Did I write letters to the editors here at home and out there where this stuff was happening, decrying the abuse of power? Did I send a buck or two to the homeowner who is trying to sue to get his guns back, once I heard he was in court o the issue? Did I snap at the heels of NRA, GOA, JPFO, VCDL and everybody else to make the biggest stink possible over this abuse of power?

In case anyone wants to know, the answer is I used to be a lot better at doing that stuff, and I'm off to make amends right now. The line for kicking my butt for falling off starts right here -> "X" <- behind me.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

*Grabs Saiga-12 and chambers a round*

They're very safe, thank you very much

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Need more uproar.

NRA willbe on this hopefully.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

It sickens me that our police have come to this in some places. Fortunately, in response to the Katrina abuses, MO legislators quickly passed a law protected not only firearms, but ammunition as well, in the case of an emergency, including the right to transfer, purchase and sell firearms and ammunition. Every state, unfortunately, needs such a law to protect the citizens from not too long ago unthinkable LE abuses.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Texas did it right... IMHO

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/...O_DOC_TEXT=YES

Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 147, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987.

§ 433.0045. FIREARMS[0]. (a) A directive issued under
    this chapter may not authorize the seizure or confiscation of any
    firearm[0] or ammunition from an individual who is lawfully carrying
    or possessing the firearm[0] or ammunition.
    (b) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful execution of
    the officer's official duties during a state of emergency may
    disarm an individual if the officer reasonably believes it is
    immediately necessary for the protection of the officer or another
    individual.
    (c) The peace officer shall return a firearm[0] and any
    ammunition to an individual disarmed under Subsection (b) before
    ceasing to detain the individual unless the officer:
    (1) arrests the individual for engaging in criminal
    activity; or
    (2) seizes the firearm[0] as evidence in a criminal
    investigation.