• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How safe are your firearms in an emergency?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
...from the police, that is. It seems that despite all the uproar over Katrina, our state and local governments have not learned any lessons about how to deal with disasters.

About halfway down is the part where the firearm thefts are talked about. I didn't realize this had happened.

They are only as safe as I have made them.

Did I ask my legislators to introduce bills prohibiting the confiscation of otherwise legal weapons during civil disturbances? Did I support my legislators during the floor debates on their bills? Did I support them afterwards, including helping them get re-elected?

Did I write letters to the editors here at home and out there where this stuff was happening, decrying the abuse of power? Did I send a buck or two to the homeowner who is trying to sue to get his guns back, once I heard he was in court o the issue? Did I snap at the heels of NRA, GOA, JPFO, VCDL and everybody else to make the biggest stink possible over this abuse of power?

In case anyone wants to know, the answer is I used to be a lot better at doing that stuff, and I'm off to make amends right now. The line for kicking my butt for falling off starts right here -> "X" <- behind me.

stay safe.

skidmark

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It sickens me that our police have come to this in some places. Fortunately, in response to the Katrina abuses, MO legislators quickly passed a law protected not only firearms, but ammunition as well, in the case of an emergency, including the right to transfer, purchase and sell firearms and ammunition. Every state, unfortunately, needs such a law to protect the citizens from not too long ago unthinkable LE abuses.

thorkyl

imported post

Texas did it right... IMHO

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=XIERFDUHQGFU&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=126297&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=32&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES

Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 147, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987.

§ 433.0045. FIREARMS[0]. (a) A directive issued under
this chapter may not authorize the seizure or confiscation of any
firearm[0] or ammunition from an individual who is lawfully carrying
or possessing the firearm[0] or ammunition.
(b) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful execution of
the officer's official duties during a state of emergency may
disarm an individual if the officer reasonably believes it is
immediately necessary for the protection of the officer or another
individual.
(c) The peace officer shall return a firearm[0] and any
ammunition to an individual disarmed under Subsection (b) before
ceasing to detain the individual unless the officer:
(1) arrests the individual for engaging in criminal
activity; or
(2) seizes the firearm[0] as evidence in a criminal
investigation.