• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proceed with CHL or wait?

Carry

imported post

This whole topic of carrying a handgun is all relatively new for me. Over one month ago, the idea of getting a CHL (in Texas, of course) settled in my psyche. Every time I turn around, there is something in the news that makes me think, 'They should've had protection--a handgun.' I started talking about this to some members in my family and coincidentally they have been thinking about getting their CHL, too. My brother already carries, so he's encouraging me to get moving and make a purchase. (That will be another topic, I'm sure)

How far away or remote is the possibility for Open Carry in Texas? Will people still need some kind of license? Should I proceed with the CHL? I believe I can carry in my vehicle, so maybe that is all I need for now. <I know, I know---that's limiting my protection...... baby steps, baby steps. I'm still getting acquainted with what I need to know.>

And yes, I signed the petition.

Please advise.
Thank you!

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carry wrote:
This whole topic of carrying a handgun is all relatively new for me. Over one month ago, the idea of getting a CHL (in Texas, of course) settled in my psyche. Every time I turn around, there is something in the news that makes me think, 'They should've had protection--a handgun.' I started talking about this to some members in my family and coincidentally they have been thinking about getting their CHL, too. My brother already carries, so he's encouraging me to get moving and make a purchase. (That will be another topic, I'm sure)

How far away or remote is the possibility for Open Carry in Texas? Will people still need some kind of license? Should I proceed with the CHL? I believe I can carry in my vehicle, so maybe that is all I need for now. <I know, I know---that's limiting my protection...... baby steps, baby steps. I'm still getting acquainted with what I need to know.>

And yes, I signed the petition.

Please advise.
Thank you!
First off, welcome to OCDO... How did you hear about us?

To answer your question (although I'm not in Texas) I would strongly urge you get your permit since you've made the decision to carry for your protection. There is no need to wait for the legislation to happen for you to protect yourself.

Carry

imported post

Thanks, JB.

I heard about this website while driving home from work today, either 570 or 660 am station. Of course, I am picking up more and more references about guns. It's like when you get a new car and suddenly everyone has that same color.... :lol: I've been searching to get advice for a gun, but what I keep reading most of all, is to try out a bunch of them. Guess that is what I'll do then! Actually, I'm surprised I didn't come across this site before now.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I too would recommend you get your CHL. Trouble is, the rate of CHL applications has exploded; the most recent figures suggested a 40% increase in applications this year over last, and I would expect that figure has increased since then. Over at http://texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_Forum, they're talking about waiting 120 days before their packet is even opened, much less having the initial processing done. That said, you'll still have your CHL

Also, I hate to say it, but there is every chance that the open carry we will end up with will require the CHL. I say that because currently the only laws on the books that govern lawfulcarry are written with respect to concealed carry, as that's the only form that's legal. Allowing unlicensed open carry will require substantial revision to existing firearm law, which could be accomplished far more simply by turning a "concealed handgun license" into a "carried handgun license".

PT111

imported post

For those involved with the OC drive in TX what are the realistic chances of getting it changed anytime in the future. Since TX law forbids OC as I understand and most states that permit OC do it due to absence of anything denying it I suspect that it may be like someone pointed out only with a permit such as with Tennessee.

In SC I don't think there is even a romotechance of OC in the near future. The bill to permit it was originally for carry on college campuses and had a fair chance of passage. However it all of a sudden got changed to a full carry bill and was imediately sent back to committee to die.

I may be wrong butit may be likely thatif you get your CHL right now you could have to renew it before OC is legal in TX.:)

DJB.45ACP

imported post

Get your CHL first, then at least you can legally carry.
Meanwhile do what you can to educate others on OCing, and we will see the day that we will be able to carry or not, as We The People, see fit.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote:
For those involved with the OC drive in TX what are the realistic chances of getting it changed anytime in the future. Since TX law forbids OC as I understand and most states that permit OC do it due to absence of anything denying it I suspect that it may be like someone pointed out only with a permit such as with Tennessee.

In SC I don't think there is even a romotechance of OC in the near future. The bill to permit it was originally for carry on college campuses and had a fair chance of passage. However it all of a sudden got changed to a full carry bill and was imediately sent back to committee to die.

I may be wrong butit may be likely thatif you get your CHL right now you could have to renew it before OC is legal in TX.:)

It's possible. Like I said, and echoing Perry, it will need substantial public support and legislative guidance, and we may end up with licensed OC as even some of the petition's signers are advocating that OCers must meet the same standards as CHLs.No matter what we end up with, it tookalmost five yearsto pass the CHL statute (largely because the measure was vetoed by Ann Richards the first two times around). The fight for OC could possibly take longer.

However, remember that 13 short years ago, Texas residents could not carry firearms in populated areas at all. After 13 years, the efficacy of armed citizens, as well as the non-issue of armed citizens committing crimes, has been demonstrated. Coupled with the2007 changes to Castle Doctrine and car carry, the time may be ripe to show popular support of open carry.

When I signed the petition about 9 months ago, there were ~1650 signatures. Now that the movement has gotten media attention, no doubt due to the efforts of people on this board, that number doubled in an hour after the first stories.Yesterday afternoonthere were 9300, and400 more signatures have been added. As of this second there are9739 (a dozen more than 5 minutes ago), and fast approaching the 10kmark as more newswires are picking up the story. This is showing that there is considerable support for OC by Texas residents. Who knows? This could make the floor of the next legislative session in January. If the law were passed, I believe it would be the first time in American history that a state has voluntarily repealed a ban on open carry. You're right; most states allow open carry because they always have.

RichardR

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I would definitely recommend getting the concealed license in Texas. As mentioned above, the wait time is getting longer, so the sooner the better. The law calls for a maximum of 60 days, but it took mine 115 days.

rodbender

imported post

Just to let everyone know that a bill is being written as I "speak". This, by an organization named Texas Citizens Defense League. Go to the website to join. Any financial contribution is tax deductible.

www.txcdl.org