• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are any LEO encounters positive?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Wow, even people on this http://www.opencarry.org site is against me :?.

Interesting

Maybe this Forum is NOT for me.

If you're leaving, can I have your hat? :)

Oh, no. You're not going anywhere, sir. You are being detained. No reasonable person in your position would feel free to disregard our inquiries and walk away. :):p
:cuss:...............................................:lol:..................................................................:celebrate

TJ

"Sir, we have a report that you are acting strangely. Aggression into glee into celebration. One witness said you looked like you were dancing with a banana. We'll need to see some ID."

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Citizen wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Wow, even people on this http://www.opencarry.org site is against me :?.

Interesting

Maybe this Forum is NOT for me.

If you're leaving, can I have your hat? :)

Oh, no. You're not going anywhere, sir. You are being detained. No reasonable person in your position would feel free to disregard our inquiries and walk away. :):p
:cuss:...............................................:lol:..................................................................:celebrate

TJ

"Sir, we have a report that you are acting strangely. Aggression into glee into celebration. One witness said you looked like you were dancing with a banana. We'll need to see some ID."

ROTFLMAO. C..U R fuuuunny.

TJ

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

I have a positive report....

My brother is a LEO in Northern Utah County (Keeping the town secret). He tells me of a 911 report of a man with a gun. Several other LEO of that town were lights and siren to the location. He just asked the dispatcher if he had actually done anything.

The guy was just at a small hamburger joint that doesn't even have an indoor dining area ordering his lunch.

I know--- someone will tell me that the other LEO's over-reacted. But, at least one didn't.

Start small and grow strong!

JoeSparky

Outsider

imported post

I have not yet had any encounter with law enforcement officers and hope I really never do and if I do I hope that they check my permit, see I'm good and let me go on my way. When I wrote my letters to nine different police agencies here in Utah County I first said why I am writing, second I thanked them for everything they do, and then I gave them my point of view the need for training officers within their agencies on firearm law and the right to keep and bear arms by law-biding citizens. I'm not going out there looking for trouble and I apologize if it seems that way in a few posts (example: "It was uneventful OC day.") I mean that really in a good way, I don't SWAT busting into the store I'm at and dropping me to the ground. I don't want that. I just want to go about my business and be able to defend myself. If I have a positive experience I will post it because I want everyone to know the other side as well.

Nuff said... for now...

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

I talked a little bit about this subject with my LEO brother (real brother) Friday night. He told me something to the effect that because of his own open attitude about guns and gun ownership he just has not studied the laws on this subject. I hope I can encourage him to do so.

He did mention that some officers are willing to cite for DISPLAY if they see open carry. I tried to suggest that just because the gun is seen in a holster does not meet the requirement needed to support the "angry or threatening" standard.

I have personally open carried in the Police Dept. that he works for and ate lunch with the boys in the station.... and not a single one of the said anything about my handgun!

I try to do a ride-along with my brother at least every couple of months and I NEVER go unarmed!

JoeSparky

Outsider

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
I try to do a ride-along with my brother at least every couple of months and I NEVER go unarmed!

JoeSparky
I was wondering about that. If you do a ride along can or can you know carry.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Outsider wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:

JoeSparky
I was wondering about that. If you do a ride along can or can you know carry.

I let him know that I have my "2nd ammendment" with me! just as a courtesy. He knows that my wife and I both have CFP's.

JoeSparky

thx997303

imported post

Yes Mirage, the very proffesional and competent security force that we enjoy so thoroughly.:uhoh: Their policy on a dangerous encounter really makes me feel safe.

They would be the first one shot, while they were running away and trying to dial 911.

My question was more do you CC to work.

I agree that it would be unlikely that anything like that would happen at work, about as likely as it would any where else;)

One way or the other PM your reply.

xmirage2kx

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Yes Mirage, the very proffesional and competent security force that we enjoy so thoroughly.:uhoh: Their policy on a dangerous encounter really makes me feel safe.

They would be the first one shot, while they were running away and trying to dial 911.

My question was more do you CC to work.

I agree that it would be unlikely that anything like that would happen at work, about as likely as it would any where else;)

One way or the other PM your reply.

I think the only time I do not carry is while swimming and sleeping (and even sleeping sometimes I forget to take my gun off) or while in a place that it is illegal to carry according to state or fed law.So naturallyI leave my gun at home when I come to work... This is a secure mental health facility

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

or it could be an encounter, or lack there of, just like mine today

out and about and I want a Mt. Dew from Maverick. I pull up see a cop car in the parking lot and still decide to go in to see what if anything happens.

I see the cop, he's a huge guy over6' tall, couldn't miss him. I wander around a bit, not making a direct line for the soda,get my Mt Dew pay and leave.

He was too busy browsing around for lunch, he has his back to me and the store,the entire time, not thatI want to say this was bad, but me personally would be looking to see everyone that was coming into the store just to keep my self aware of the surroundings.

I thought for sure.... I was going to be asked a few questions.

or it could be like my other one (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/12306.html) where I was asked a few questions, and the officer thought for sure he was going to write me a ticket, and he was educated other wise. I thought that was a good one

GeneticsDave

imported post

usSiR wrote:
He was too busy browsing around for lunch, he has his back to me and the store,the entire time, not thatI want to say this was bad, but me personally would be looking to see everyone that was coming into the store just to keep my self aware of the surroundings.
CONDITION WHITE
Even Law Enforcement Suffers From It

scorpioajr

imported post

Outsider wrote:
I have not yet had any encounter with law enforcement officers and hope I really never do and if I do I hope that they check my permit, see I'm good and let me go on my way. When I wrote my letters to nine different police agencies here in Utah County I first said why I am writing, second I thanked them for everything they do, and then I gave them my point of view the need for training officers within their agencies on firearm law and the right to keep and bear arms by law-biding citizens. I'm not going out there looking for trouble and I apologize if it seems that way in a few posts (example: "It was uneventful OC day.") I mean that really in a good way, I don't SWAT busting into the store I'm at and dropping me to the ground. I don't want that. I just want to go about my business and be able to defend myself. If I have a positive experience I will post it because I want everyone to know the other side as well.

Nuff said... for now...
Well: Since i have last posted, i have OCed @ Chevron, Walmart, Smiths, Maverick, and the University mall...

i see that i was over-anxious. Only 1 person had said ANYTHING. The guy at the carwash in AF "So i heard its legal to OC here(utah) so long as its unloaded, right?" I automatically assume that he saw my SW9VE via SERPA when i went to pay.. I smiled and told yes and to visit OpenCarry.org:celebrate

(I think i might buy a OC.org polo from the store. Kind wish it had some statutes on the sleeve or something.)

scorpioajr

imported post

33itmefs wrote:
scorpioajr wrote:
I have only been here at .org for a couple weeks. I have noticed that when i search abuot LEO encounters, they are spread few and far between. Enough to get a little anxious. I mean, what if that what they want? A bunch of anxious OCing ppl that end up saying the wrong thing or reacting the wrong way while harrassed..err,umm...i meant: questioned.

Allz Im sayin is: Its only gonna take a handfull more negative encounters till OCing is up for discussion at city hall or whatever.

...im done. :D
Do any of you think, just maybe, possibly...that YOUR actions also play a very big role into a "positive" or "negative" situation?...
IMO:

The majority of people who are forced to speak to anyone, whether its LE, the bum on the street, or even an in-law; feels uncomfortable and more than likely, doesn't appreciate having to associate with someone they otherwise wouldn't.

Except with LE: you can't remove yourself from the situation until HE/SHE says you can.

scorpioajr

imported post

33itmefs wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
Do any of you think, just maybe, possibly...that YOUR actions also play a very big role into a "positive" or "negative" situation?...
IMO:

The majority of people who are forced to speak to anyone, whether its LE, the bum on the street, or even an in-law; feels uncomfortable and more than likely, doesn't appreciate having to associate with someone they otherwise wouldn't.

Except with LE: you can't remove yourself from the situation until HE/SHE says you can.
Im not trying to be rude, but so what? What does that have to do with you(or me) acting like an adult and making it a better or worse situation? If I spout off to the bum on the street, he may stab my ass. If I give him a cordial "no thank you" then it mayyyyy change the situation. What does comfort level have to do with how you OCers interact? I am major uncomfortable with my mother in law, but I still have control over how I act.
I agree.

But you must admit - Mother in-law and the bum, you or I can be cordial with to a certain point, and after that, you must remove yourself before you say something that Moms' gonna smack you for. Well, with a LE, i agree that one should be cordial, as one would/should be with anyone: My point; is that at no time are you able to remove yourself from the presence of a LEO, again, on your own accord- without a major consequence. Your stuck. FOLLOWING that logic: it is reasonable to assume that at a certain point: said individual can become frustrated and consequently, say/do something that will escalate the situation adversely.