• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are any LEO encounters positive?

scorpioajr

imported post

I have only been here at .org for a couple weeks. I have noticed that when i search abuot LEO encounters, they are spread few and far between. Enough to get a little anxious. I mean, what if that what they want? A bunch of anxious OCing ppl that end up saying the wrong thing or reacting the wrong way while harrassed..err,umm...i meant: questioned.

Allz Im sayin is: Its only gonna take a handfull more negative encounters till OCing is up for discussion at city hall or whatever.

...im done. :D

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I guess that depends on your definition of "positive." The only positive encounter I can envision is being ignored, and I don't know that we know how often that happens.

If a LEO sees me lawfully open carrying with no suspicious behavior, I would expect him to react the same as seeing me lawfully doing anything else. I should not be of any interest to him

The best that any "interactive" encounter can be is neutral. He shouldn't waste my time, but if he does, as long as he is friendly and respects my rights, I would call that neutral.

Anything other than a brief "Hi, how ya doin?" is negative in my opinion.

Even by that definition, there are a number of posts about LEOs seeing an open carrier and smiling/waving, etc without approaching or bothering the person. Those are positive, great to hear, and I certainly hope we continue to hear more of them.

mkl

imported post

scorpioajr wrote:
I have only been here at .org for a couple weeks. I have noticed that when i search abuot LEO encounters, they are spread few and far between. Enough to get a little anxious. I mean, what if that what they want? A bunch of anxious OCing ppl that end up saying the wrong thing or reacting the wrong way while harrassed..err,umm...i meant: questioned.

Allz Im sayin is: Its only gonna take a handfull more negative encounters till OCing is up for discussion at city hall or whatever.

I have positive encounters with LEO's all the time. Generally those positive encounters are , I walk right by them without anything happening. Remember that people have a much higher incentive to complain about a poor encounter, than post about a positive one. So of the positive encounters that happen, most people will never post about them. When they have one negative, it will always show up here.

I am not in any way discounting the negative encounters people post here, they obviously do happen. Just want remind people that there is more to life than just what you see posted on the internet.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

scorpioajr wrote:

Wow, even people on this http://www.opencarry.org site is against me :?.

Interesting

Maybe this Forum is NOT for me.

TJ

Carry

imported post

Hi! I'm new to a lot of this jargon, and have seen this more than once in only a few minutes of reading..... but what does LEO stand for? <just a little embarrassed because I'm sure it's obvious>

Be gentle.......

Carry

imported post

Hey! I thought about it a few minutes more and guess it must be Law Enforcement Official. Is this correct?

<actually, it was seconds! And that's about all we have when/if confronted, right?>

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

scorpioajr wrote:

I've had several positive encounters. As others have said, being ignored by police when I am not breaking any laws and otherwise have no immediate need for their services is positive.

I've also had a couple of fairly positive experiences involving actual communications with the police. Both have been posted here, but not necessarily under the heading of LEO encounters. Do a search.

I had very low key and positive encounter with a UHP trooper on the Lt. Gov's protective detail this year at the capital. He engaged in some small talk as the very non-intrusive way to screen me quickly for any concerns related to safety. We were about 30 seconds into a conversation before I realized his real motive and by then he had figured out I was not a threat and was excusing himself to other duties. Never asked for ID, not even an official encounter by any reasonable use of that term.

Last year at the Sandy City Independence Day celebration I had a fairly positive experience with Sandy PD as they questioned my legal ability to OC a loaded gun pursuant to a permit. Again, I was never disarmed or even officially detained. The duty sergeant and Lt. and I had a nice conversation as we looked over the code book.

Indeed, it has been YEARS since I had a negative experience with peace officers while OCing and that wasn't even in Utah.

We do need to properly comport ourselves and there is some line between exercising our rights and actually creating such a stir that laws get changed against us. But at the end of the day, if we don't or can't OC for fear of OC becoming illegal, well, we've already lost the ability to OC.

Charles

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I have had several positive Law Enforcement encounters, and no negative encounters. I work in the customer service industry. When somebody has a negative experience, the make it a point to let everyone know. But when they have a positive experience, they tell nobody. This is probably why I have not had a raise in nearly two years. :?

I guess we should start posting positive experiences? Maybe someone can draft a sample letter that could be sent to law enforcement agencies after positive encounters? Like a "Thank you for great customer service" letter. In my years of customer service, I have received one of these letters, and it sure made my day. :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've had a few non-negative police encounters.

As they should be, they were non-events. And very, very brief.

thx997303

imported post

Yep Carry, you got it right, except most usually use officer instead of official.

I've said it before, but welcome to OCDO!

PT111

imported post

I had very low key and positive encounter with a UHP trooper on the Lt. Gov's protective detail this year at the capital. He engaged in some small talk as the very non-intrusive way to screen me quickly for any concerns related to safety. We were about 30 seconds into a conversation before I realized his real motive and by then he had figured out I was not a threat and was excusing himself to other duties. Never asked for ID, not even an official encounter by any reasonable use of that term.

Last year at the Sandy City Independence Day celebration I had a fairly positive experience with Sandy PD as they questioned my legal ability to OC a loaded gun pursuant to a permit. Again, I was never disarmed or even officially detained. The duty sergeant and Lt. and I had a nice conversation as we looked over the code book.
I have seen posts on here very similar to your encounters very much complaining that it was harassment. Some seem to go out of their way to get LEO to notice that they are carrying and when they are noticed complain that the LEO did not ignore them but stared or made a comment and heaven forbid if the LEO says howdy to them. These are the minority but even in those incidents where I have been stopped for a traffic violation or questioned about being at a certain place at night I have never had a LEO do anything but be very professional and courteous while carrying out their duty.

I really don't know what some people expect and what the claim to expect and what they do are entirely different.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote
Some seem to go out of their way to get LEO to notice that they are carrying and when they are noticed complain that the LEO did not ignore them but stared or made a comment and heaven forbid if the LEO says howdy to them.
You've made this kind of claim in a couple different threads now. Could you post a link to a message anywhere on this forum where someone says they went "out of their way to get LEO to notice that they are carrying?"

I have never once seen anyone on here claim that they did this. Granted, I've only been reading the forum for a couple years, and I could have missed something, but what you claim is certainly not anywhere near the norm.

PT111

imported post

bobernet wrote:
PT111 wrote
Some seem to go out of their way to get LEO to notice that they are carrying and when they are noticed complain that the LEO did not ignore them but stared or made a comment and heaven forbid if the LEO says howdy to them.
You've made this kind of claim in a couple different threads now. Could you post a link to a message anywhere on this forum where someone says they went "out of their way to get LEO to notice that they are carrying?"

I have never once seen anyone on here claim that they did this. Granted, I've only been reading the forum for a couple years, and I could have missed something, but what you claim is certainly not anywhere near the norm.

The next time I run across one I will try to PM it to you.

Edit to add:

I don't remember the exact posts but I recall one where a poster talked about pulling up to a convienence store with three cops inside. He said that when he went in he made sure to turn in such a way that they could see his gun.

Another one was where a poster talked about spending 30 minutes walking around in a store asking everone in there about a certain type of wine glass or coffee cup or something with his gun predominately displayed to see if anyone would notice.

I am not saying that it is the norm but there are many cases where someone has certainly given the impression that it is what they were trying to do whether they were or not.

Outsider

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
scorpioajr wrote:

Interesting

TJ
NO TJ!!! NO GO AWAY!!!

I personally have not had any run-ins with any LEOs and would actually prefer it to stay that way. If I have a positive experience I will post it, promise that. I agree on writing a letter to an agency after a position experience does happen.

thx997303

imported post

Hehe, fun stuff, Mirage do you OC when coming from work? Or do they not want weapons even in your personal vehicle?

xmirage2kx

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Hehe, fun stuff, Mirage do you OC when coming from work? Or do they not want weapons even in your personal vehicle?

The official policy is no guns at work or even in the parking lot. With the expert team of well trained security personnel :uhoh:we have protecting us I feel completely safe and secure that no illegal activity could ever occur on site, especially something that would require the use of a weapon. (I know, I used to run security) So naturally between the policy and the safety that the security professionals provide I have no need to carry at work or on my way to/from work (the security isSO good they protect me on my drive). So no I do not OC to/from work.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:

Interesting

If you're leaving, can I have your hat? :)

Oh, no. You're not going anywhere, sir. You are being detained. No reasonable person in your position would feel free to disregard our inquiries and walk away. :):p

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Citizen wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

Interesting

If you're leaving, can I have your hat? :)

Oh, no. You're not going anywhere, sir. You are being detained. No reasonable person in your position would feel free to disregard our inquiries and walk away. :):p

:cuss:...............................................:lol:..................................................................:celebrate

TJ