• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petition to Restore South Carolina Open Carry Rights Now Posted!

LesterSC

imported post

I just drafted an email with a link to the petition and sent it to everyone I know. If everyone does this we should be able to reach a large number of people quickly!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LesterSC wrote:
I just drafted an email with a link to the petition and sent it to everyone I know. If everyone does this we should be able to reach a large number of people quickly!
Yea - word of mouth abd b,ogs first - get up to a reasonable number - then go for press coverage. What group in SC is going to champion this? or will independent activists from OCDO have to do it?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'd send an email to Grassroots South Carolina and GOSC and see if they can post a link to it, and even send a link to it in their newsletters.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

You are right, User 589 has posted five times and once included GRSC XO's e-mail address.

Was that the point that you wanted to address?

I'll add RMGO and WGO to the list of GRSC and GOSC whose officers/principals have not posted as such here. Will you paint them damned with one broad brush without considering the source of their reticence? RMGO, WGO and GRSC are unaffiliated and GOSC is affiliated with the NRA. That seems quite disparate to result in similar reticence. Consider WCCA's participation here in the same light.

Apropos 'RMGO,' they host 'The Real Nature of Politics' that touches on petitions and the politics of access.

hp-hobo

imported post

As the originator fo the petition I may be the most likely person to answer the question.

To make a long story short, getting people involved is like pulling teeth. E-mails have been sent, gun shops notified and flyered, business cards and flyers passed out at gun shows, online forums postedand SC Grass Roots Gun Rights informed/included.

Because I normally work about 60 to70 hours per week I really don't have time to push it as hard as I'd like. I was hoping that somewhere along the line it'd take on a life of it's own. Hasn't happened.

It's more than a little disappointing that a petiton started a day afterSouth Carolina's (Oklahoma's) has 2.5 times as many signatures, although I'm happy for them. For whatever reason, a lot of gun owners here think open carry isn't a good idea... Even some who represent gun rights groups. So it is what it is, and I'm honestly not sure which way to go with it or how much energy to invest in it. Ideas are always welcome.

P.S. The only subject that gets more rolled eyes around here than open carry is when I mention Saturday Night Special/melting point laws. Apparently low incomecitizens don't have the same right to self protection as those who can afford a $500 gun. And I was also told that by a gun rights association rep.

SCgunowner

imported post

I just posted the link on my local newspaper site in the online comment section.

M&P.40

imported post

I THINK THE PROBLEM IS ALOT OF FOLKS JUST DON'T KNOW ABOUT THIS PETITION.

I PLAN ON TRYING TO CHANGE SOME OF THAT.I'VE ALREADY CONTACTED THE LOCAL NEWS PAPER.PROBLY JUST NEED TO WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR WHICH I INTEND TO DO...I WILL BE GOING TO MYRTLE BEACH THIS WEEK.I HAVE100 FLYERS PRINTED OUT THAT I PLAN ON DESTRIBUTING ALONG THE WAY.......IT'S ABOUT 250 MILES FROM MYHOUSE TO THE BEACH......I'M TAKING MY HAND GUN AND STAPLE GUN..YOU MIGHT SEE ONE ON YOUR TELEPHONE POLE ...ANY COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS..:celebrate