Thread: More info from Intercity Transit

State Researcher

Post imported post

After a long wait, I got this response from IT about the lack of training their operators have had with the lawful transport of guns on the bus. I have attached a December memo that was supposed to have gone out to all operators, but clearly didn't...

RE: Public Information – Lawful Transport of Firearms

Dear Mr. Coffman:

I was recently provided a copy of an email sent Friday, June 13, 2008, to Intercity Transit. I will respond to the concerns noted within the email.

Attached is a copy of a memo provided all operators on December 4, 2007. This may be the same document you reference in your email that Mr. Harbour provided you. As you can see by the memo, we state it is “allowable” to carry a concealed pistol on a bus, along with other allowable items. If an operator has a concern or question regarding the transport of firearms on our buses, they are to contact the Dispatcher or a Supervisor.

I seek your help by asking that if you encounter a situation where you believe an operator is providing misinformation regarding the transport of firearms, please contact us immediately with the time of day, route number, and date. We can track not only the operator, but also with the aid of our digital recording equipment, see and hear what took place. This allows us the opportunity when appropriate, to talk with the specific operator and educate them.

As for the transit guide, we print the books when we make service changes. Our most recent reprint was due to a major change to only one route. The rest of the routes remained the same; therefore, we did not conduct a complete review of the entire guide. We missed correcting the “no weapons” policy statement. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. This information was shared with our Marketing staff today, which will make the appropriate changes during our next reprint. A reprint is not scheduled at this time.

Sincerely,

Rhodetta Seward
    Executive Services Director/Public Records Officer

Attachment
    Cc: Jim Merrill, Director Operations
    Meg Kester, Marking & Communications Manager

Attached Files Attached Files

Post imported post

We can track not only the operator, but also with the aid of our digital recording equipment, see and hear what took place. This allows us the opportunity when appropriate, to talk with the specific operator and educate them.
    See AND hear? I'm pretty sure these recordings are not legal in this state.

Also, no mention of actually getting the word out to their drivers.

CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

State Researcher

Post imported post

IIRC buses are considered a public setting with no expectation of privacy. But yeah the systems bug me too.

And yes I noticed mention of getting word out to their drivers. Well I asked them to train their drivers as quickly as possible. I'm going to print out the PDF memo and start passing it around myself if I have to.

Post imported post

Hang in there steve, for a one-man-band you make a lot of noise down there!

State Researcher

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    Hang in there steve, for a one-man-band you make a lot of noise down there!
    I get bored easily what can I say?:P Thanks!

Post imported post

Glad we're on the same side.

Let me know when you are in downtown Seattle again. I'll buy you a coffee at Tully's again.

State Researcher

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    Glad we're on the same side.

Let me know when you are in downtown Seattle again. I'll buy you a coffee at Tully's again.
    It's my turn to buy IIRC I'll be that way in a week or two I think. Mebbe Monday I dunno yet.

Post imported post

Cool, just let me know day before if you can. I'll PM my cell phone number to you again.

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    As you can see by the memo, we state it is “allowable” to carry a concealed pistol on a bus, along with other allowable items.
    Um, shouldn't that read "it is "allowable" to carry a pistol with a valid CPL on the bus"...? It doesn't have to be concealed, as we are all aware.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

State Researcher

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    As you can see by the memo, we state it is “allowable” to carry a concealed pistol on a bus, along with other allowable items.
    Um, shouldn't that read "it is "allowable" to carry a pistol with a valid CPL on the bus"...? It doesn't have to be concealed, as we are all aware.
    I corrected them and asked to see the proposed changes to their policy.

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    I corrected them and asked to see the proposed changes to their policy.
    Good call. Keep up the good work.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    We can track not only the operator, but also with the aid of our digital recording equipment, see and hear what took place. This allows us the opportunity when appropriate, to talk with the specific operator and educate them.
    See AND hear? I'm pretty sure these recordings are not legal in this state.

Also, no mention of actually getting the word out to their drivers.
    I wonder if they have a sign on the outside of the bus?

Is a conversation with a bus driver while they are driving the bus considered private?

We have discussed the idea that recording a police officer when he pulls you over is legally allowed because he is acting as an agent of the state and it is NOT a private conversation.