• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More info from Intercity Transit

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

After a long wait, I got this response from IT about the lack of training their operators have had with the lawful transport of guns on the bus. I have attached a December memo that was supposed to have gone out to all operators, but clearly didn't...

[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]RE: Public Information – Lawful Transport of Firearms[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]Dear Mr. Coffman:[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]I was recently provided a copy of an email sent Friday, June 13, 2008, to Intercity Transit. I will respond to the concerns noted within the email.[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]Attached is a copy of a memo provided all operators on December 4, 2007. This may be the same document you reference in your email that Mr. Harbour provided you. As you can see by the memo, we state it is “allowable” to carry a concealed pistol on a bus, along with other allowable items. If an operator has a concern or question regarding the transport of firearms on our buses, they are to contact the Dispatcher or a Supervisor.[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]I seek your help by asking that if you encounter a situation where you believe an operator is providing misinformation regarding the transport of firearms, please contact us immediately with the [/font][font="Book Antiqua, serif"]time of day, route number, and date. [/font][font="Book Antiqua, serif"]We can track not only the operator, but also with the aid of our digital recording equipment, see and hear what took place. This allows us the opportunity when appropriate, to talk with the specific operator and educate them. [/font]

[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]As for the transit guide, we print the books when we make service changes. Our most recent reprint was due to a major change to only one route. The rest of the routes remained the same; therefore, we did not conduct a complete review of the entire guide. We missed correcting the “no weapons” policy statement. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. This information was shared with our Marketing staff today, which will make the appropriate changes during our next reprint. A reprint is not scheduled at this time.[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]Sincerely,[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]Rhodetta Seward[/font]
[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]Executive Services Director/Public Records Officer[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]Attachment[/font]
[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]Cc: Jim Merrill, Director Operations[/font]
[font="Book Antiqua, serif"] Meg Kester, Marking & Communications Manager[/font]

Attachments

• KSS100_20080623_10473484firearms.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 123

j2l3

imported post

[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]We can track not only the operator, but also with the aid of our digital recording equipment, see and hear what took place. This allows us the opportunity when appropriate, to talk with the specific operator and educate them. [/font]
See AND hear? I'm pretty sure these recordings are not legal in this state.

Also, no mention of actually getting the word out to their drivers.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

IIRC buses are considered a public setting with no expectation of privacy. But yeah the systems bug me too.

And yes I noticed mention of getting word out to their drivers. Well I asked them to train their drivers as quickly as possible. I'm going to print out the PDF memo and start passing it around myself if I have to.

j2l3

imported post

Glad we're on the same side.

Let me know when you are in downtown Seattle again. I'll buy you a coffee at Tully's again.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Glad we're on the same side.

Let me know when you are in downtown Seattle again. I'll buy you a coffee at Tully's again.
It's my turn to buy IIRC:) I'll be that way in a week or two I think. Mebbe Monday I dunno yet.

just_a_car

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]As you can see by the memo, we state it is “allowable” to carry a concealed pistol on a bus, along with other allowable items.[/font]
Um, shouldn't that read "it is "allowable" to carry a pistol with a valid CPL on the bus"...? It doesn't have to be concealed, as we are all aware.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]As you can see by the memo, we state it is “allowable” to carry a concealed pistol on a bus, along with other allowable items.[/font]
Um, shouldn't that read "it is "allowable" to carry a pistol with a valid CPL on the bus"...? It doesn't have to be concealed, as we are all aware.
I corrected them and asked to see the proposed changes to their policy.

heresolong

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
[font="Book Antiqua, serif"]We can track not only the operator, but also with the aid of our digital recording equipment, see and hear what took place. This allows us the opportunity when appropriate, to talk with the specific operator and educate them. [/font]
See AND hear? I'm pretty sure these recordings are not legal in this state.

Also, no mention of actually getting the word out to their drivers.
I wonder if they have a sign on the outside of the bus?

Is a conversation with a bus driver while they are driving the bus considered private?

We have discussed the idea that recording a police officer when he pulls you over is legally allowed because he is acting as an agent of the state and it is NOT a private conversation.