Thread: Is a VA resident CHP considered proof of residency?

Post imported post

I'm thinking of ordering a new pistol online and having it transferred to my FFL, and I was just wondering if a resident CHP is valid as a proof of residency document. I changed the address on my license a few months ago, and have yet to get my new voters card (I would always use my license and voters card to pick up transfers). Thanks for the help.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I've usedmy CHP for 2nd I.D. a couple of times.

Post imported post

Yep.

But oddly enough, your DL wasn't proof of residency to get your CHP

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    Yep.

There's no requirement to prove residency to get a CHP in VA.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    I'm thinking of ordering a new pistol online and having it transferred to my FFL, and I was just wondering if a resident CHP is valid as a proof of residency document. I changed the address on my license a few months ago, and have yet to get my new voters card (I would always use my license and voters card to pick up transfers). Thanks for the help.
    Did you change your vehicle registration too? That's valid as a second. Your CHP will work, but only if it's got the same address as your DL.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    hsmith wrote:
    Yep.

Tell that to the judges in Fairfax...

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote:
    hsmith wrote:
    Yep.

Tell that to the judges in Fairfax...
    If I lived in Fairfax, I would. Until some people stand up and fight this, it's not going to go away. But, there's no LEGAL requirement to prove residency...

Post imported post

A couple of months ago, the last time I bought a gun, they required both forms of ID to have the same address. I didn't find that as odd as the fact that my Active Duty Navy ID was not a valid ID because it does not have my address on it.

Post imported post

Thanks for the responses. Ironically, my new voters card came in this afternoon.

Post imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
    A couple of months ago, the last time I bought a gun, they required both forms of ID to have the same address. I didn't find that as odd as the fact that my Active Duty Navy ID was not a valid ID because it does not have my address on it.

Actually, it is.

From: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...d+18.2-308.2C2
    paragraph B
    Where the photo-identification was issued by the Department of Defense, permanent orders assigning the purchaser to a duty post in Virginia shall be the only other required documentation of residence. For the purposes of this section and establishment of residency for firearm purchase, residency shall be deemed to be the permanent duty post of a member of the armed forces.

Post imported post

The active duty ID would work if you have Orders stationing you in VA. Otherwise, you need a VA Drivers license or ID card and a 'regular' secondary form of ID. In summation, you buy a gun as an Active Duty person or a 'regular' VA resident and ID requirements are different.

Merc, for the record, CHP is a valid 2d ID to verify address but must match your DL or VA ID card.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    SNIP Merc, for the record, CHP is a valid 2d ID to verify address but must match your DL or VA ID card.
    Worked for me on my last firearm purchase.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    The active duty ID would work if you have Orders stationing you in VA. Otherwise, you need a VA Drivers license or ID card and a 'regular' secondary form of ID. In summation, you buy a gun as an Active Duty person or a 'regular' VA resident and ID requirements are different.
    Yeah,I usually don't carry around my orders in my pocket. Thankfully, my VA drivers license and CHP were good enough. I would think that VA Drivers license WITH Active Duty ID would be good . I've always liked having the benefit of being stationed in my hometown for 14 out of my 15 years in the USN.

Post imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
    Yeah,I usually don't carry around my orders in my pocket.
    Yeah, but when was the last time you bought a gun and didn't know ahead of time that you'd be in a situation where you might buy one...

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    vbnative73 wrote:
    Yeah,*I usually don't carry around my orders in my pocket.
    Yeah, but when was the last time you bought a gun and didn't know ahead of time that you'd be in a situation where you might buy one...
    Ha! I find myself in that situation all the time somehow....I leave home already decided not to buy a gun...and still end up with one.

Post imported post

I've been in that exact situation twice now.