• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is a VA resident CHP considered proof of residency?

mercutio545

imported post

I'm thinking of ordering a new pistol online and having it transferred to my FFL, and I was just wondering if a resident CHP is valid as a proof of residency document. I changed the address on my license a few months ago, and have yet to get my new voters card (I would always use my license and voters card to pick up transfers). Thanks for the help.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I'm thinking of ordering a new pistol online and having it transferred to my FFL, and I was just wondering if a resident CHP is valid as a proof of residency document. I changed the address on my license a few months ago, and have yet to get my new voters card (I would always use my license and voters card to pick up transfers). Thanks for the help.
Did you change your vehicle registration too? That's valid as a second. Your CHP will work, but only if it's got the same address as your DL.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hsmith wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
hsmith wrote:
Yep.

But oddly enough, your DL wasn't proof of residency to get your CHP

:lol:
There's no requirement to prove residency to get a CHP in VA.
Tell that to the judges in Fairfax...
If I lived in Fairfax, I would. Until some people stand up and fight this, it's not going to go away. But, there's no LEGAL requirement to prove residency...

vbnative73

imported post

A couple of months ago, the last time I bought a gun, they required both forms of ID to have the same address. I didn't find that as odd as the fact that my Active Duty Navy ID was not a valid ID because it does not have my address on it.

mercutio545

imported post

Thanks for the responses. Ironically, my new voters card came in this afternoon.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
A couple of months ago, the last time I bought a gun, they required both forms of ID to have the same address. I didn't find that as odd as the fact that my Active Duty Navy ID was not a valid ID because it does not have my address on it.
Actually, it is.

From: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C2
paragraph B
Where the photo-identification was issued by the Department of Defense, permanent orders assigning the purchaser to a duty post in Virginia shall be the only other required documentation of residence. For the purposes of this section and establishment of residency for firearm purchase, residency shall be deemed to be the permanent duty post of a member of the armed forces.

VAopencarry

imported post

The active duty ID would work if you have Orders stationing you in VA. Otherwise, you need a VA Drivers license or ID card and a 'regular' secondary form of ID. In summation, you buy a gun as an Active Duty person or a 'regular' VA resident and ID requirements are different.

Merc, for the record, CHP is a valid 2d ID to verify address but must match your DL or VA ID card.

vbnative73

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
The active duty ID would work if you have Orders stationing you in VA. Otherwise, you need a VA Drivers license or ID card and a 'regular' secondary form of ID. In summation, you buy a gun as an Active Duty person or a 'regular' VA resident and ID requirements are different.
Yeah,I usually don't carry around my orders in my pocket. Thankfully, my VA drivers license and CHP were good enough. I would think that VA Drivers license WITH Active Duty ID would be good :banghead:. I've always liked having the benefit of being stationed in my hometown for 14 out of my 15 years in the USN.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
Yeah,I usually don't carry around my orders in my pocket.
Yeah, but when was the last time you bought a gun and didn't know ahead of time that you'd be in a situation where you might buy one...

mkl

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
vbnative73 wrote:
Yeah, I usually don't carry around my orders in my pocket.
Yeah, but when was the last time you bought a gun and didn't know ahead of time that you'd be in a situation where you might buy one...

Ha! I find myself in that situation all the time somehow....I leave home already decided not to buy a gun...and still end up with one.