• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fox in Lubbock TX cites to OpenCarry.org

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6842019&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

Texans Petitioning To Carry Firearms

06/24/08
By: Christal Bennett

Load your holster and wear it proud.

If more than 7,000 people who signed this online petition get their way handguns in plain sight would be completely legal.

"Open Carry's got pros and cons," says Bill Titus.

Bill Titus teaches classes required to carry a concealed handgun.

He's the Vice President of the Texas State Concealed Handgun Association, but he's neutral on the idea of Texas becoming an open carry state.

"It's a good thing people are accustomed to seeing a firearm in plain sight, there's some real benefits to that. The negative in that is if you're up to no good you know who's carrying and who's not," says Titus.

The petition on www.opencarry.org sites eight reasons to allow open carry.

Among them the group believes it's a constitutional right.

"I think most other states in my experience expect Texas to be the wild wild west and when it's not, they're surprised. Texas is one of relatively few states that does not have some form of open carry," says Titus.

"I think it would cause a lot of nervous feelings to most people," says licensed gun owner Matt Harris.

Harris just earned his concealed permit. He's a strong advocate of the right to bear arms, but not in the open.

"I don't think it's a good idea because if you go into a restaurant or supermarket and see someone carrying a gun, I mean that's kind of disarming to a lot of people," says Harris.

But not to the thousands of people signing on to this petition and hoping to get the attention of state lawmakers.