• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you carry?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Or, more specifically, I'm looking for opinions on carry methods, such as holster on pants belt, holster on gun belt, shoulder holster exposed, and so on.

You know, what works best for you?

p.s. I sometimes wish this forum had a signature section. ;)

WARCHILD

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Or, more specifically, I'm looking for opinions on carry methods, such as holster on pants belt, holster on gun belt, shoulder holster exposed, and so on.

You know, what works best for you?

p.s. I sometimes wish this forum had a signature section. ;)
I use a Don Hume on my regular belt, crossdraw left side. I like the close fit and better retention, no chance of a grab from behind. Also less "flashy" as with wearing a gun-belt or leg holster. I have a tactical leg holster for my 9mm, but too un-comfortable to wear.

SQLtables

imported post

For OC: Serpa with paddleon a regular 1 1/2" leather belt, along with mag holster, flashlight, and blackberry

For CC: Comp-tac Gurkha with the same belt, mag in a knife holster that conceals it

With either method, I have my little S&W in my pocket in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster

As for my opinion, I've used a couple of holsters for my XD, and the Serpa is my favorite, I wouldn't recommend a shoulder holster, because it might make people uneasy when they stand behind you. A sturdy belt and a nice holster is the way to go. The Serpa with the paddle attachment is great, and it's not going anywhere. I have a hard time just taking it off at night.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CC: Desantis "Tuck This" for my springfield xd9 3". it is padded and very comfortable inside the waist band, although you need probably an extra 1-2 inches of waist band for this method. eg: my waist is 36" but i wear 38" to accommodate the gun. this holster also has an integrated pouch for spare mag, so i always have 21 rounds on me. 10+10+1. after about the first week of wearing it, i don't feel it anymore. i generally wear my shirt untucked over the gun, but this holster allows you to tuck your shirt in over the gun quit nicely. oh, and i wear my gun strong side and slightly to the rear.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Blade-Tech Level IIwith SR Loops, on my right,on a Bianchi 1 3/4" Nylon Belt with Bianchi leather, double mag pouch on left.

Furner

imported post

For CC I usually carry a XD 3" in a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C., but I am getting fed up with the poor design of their clips. I am saving up for a Nossar holster.
My OC is a 4" XD with a Galco "Concealable Belt Holster". I got a great deal on it and it works pretty well. My only complaint is that the way the belt threads through it causes it to get uncomfortable from the piece squeezed between the belt and my side.
Around the house sometimes I use a Fobus paddle holster.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

:D
attachment.php

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Well, I've finally come to appreciate the single stack magazine pistol for it's best virtue. Lightness. As much as I love my Taurus PT92AFS, I've come to really appreciate my Walther P38. I may only have 8+1 rounds before I need to reload, but for OC or CC, I have to say I much prefer the weight.

This now has me thinking seriously about getting another single stack. I just have to figure out which one. ;)

Furner

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Well, I've finally come to appreciate the single stack magazine pistol for it's best virtue. Lightness. As much as I love my Taurus PT92AFS, I've come to really appreciate my Walther P38. I may only have 8+1 rounds before I need to reload, but for OC or CC, I have to say I much prefer the weight.

This now has me thinking seriously about getting another single stack. I just have to figure out which one. ;)
A few 1911s always satisfy!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

1COUNTRYBOY wrote:
I carry my 38 in "Uncle Mike" shoulder rig. (mainly in woods) on an empty chamber.

My Ruger 40 S&W in a Blackhawk belt holster.

Both ary nylon.
Ok, I have to ask. Is the .38 an older design? Or is it you, who's the "older design."

TireFryer

imported post

I use a gun belt (Beltman or Desbiens custom) and Desbiens IWB leather holster = tucks away and totally conceals (while being very comfortable) either a Govt or Commander 1911 .45acp. When attire doesn't allow for 1911 carry, I resort to Nemesis pocket holster w/ SP101 357Mag snubbie.

Have yet to OC, for which I have Serpa OWB :celebrate

Woody!

imported post

1COUNTRYBOY wrote:
I carry my 38 in "Uncle Mike" shoulder rig. (mainly in woods) on an empty chamber.

Both ary nylon.
Just wondering, why the empty chamber :question:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Woody! wrote:
1COUNTRYBOY wrote:

Both ary nylon.
Just wondering, why the empty chamber :question:
Had me wondering too, I just phrased my comment a little differently. ;)