• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP Address Change

muzz3256

imported post

So I just want to make sure that I have heard this right, after July 1, I can go to the circuit court where I got my CHP and get a new one with my current address right?

DocDaddy

imported post

I do believe so, but it is still valid until it expires, regardless of address. Or you canpay the Court system to have your CHP with new address.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

The address on my Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
Yes.
Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, which governs the issuance of nonresident concealed handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address. A permit once issued remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or revocation, regardless of the change of address. However, the Virginia State Police will issue change of address cards upon request. Holders of nonresident permits are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) in writing at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov. Additional information is available at http://www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_nrcwp.htm.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Only problem you might have is if you're using your CHP as a second ID to purchase a firearm. If the address doesn't match your primary ID, you may be denied.

DocDaddy

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Only problem you might have is if you're using your CHP as a second ID to purchase a firearm. If the address doesn't match your primary ID, you may be denied.
Granted! And I know some people do do that. My train of thought is if you are issued a CHP by the Communistwealth of Virginia, you lived in VA at that time, and now have moved to a new address within the same confines ofVA,that permit shall remain valid no matter what the address is in the eyes of the State, and therefore should be used as a secondary form of ID, for what matters is that the name matchesthe primary photo ID. IANAL and may train of thought maybe a little off track. :)

muzz3256

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:

This is the exact problem I have been having, so I'm just gonna get it changed after July 1st.

-muzz

PT111

imported post

I can easily see that if you use your DL and CHP for identification and the addresses dosn't match then how do you prove which one is your correct address? If I was a FFL and you showed me two different addresses I am not sure I would accept either one.It would be best to have them matching even if they are still valid.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
I can easily see that if you use your DL and CHP for identification and the addresses dosn't match then how do you prove which one is your correct address? If I was a FFL and you showed me two different addresses I am not sure I would accept either one.It would be best to have them matching even if they are still valid.
In VA they HAVE to match. See: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C2 Paragraph B

To establish personal identification and residence in Virginia for purposes of this section, a dealer must require any prospective purchaser to present one photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense, and other documentation of residence. Except where the photo-identification was issued by the United States Department of Defense, the other documentation of residence shall show an address identical to that shown on the photo-identification form, such as evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax, or a current (a) lease, (b) utility or telephone bill, (c) voter registration card, (d) bank check, (e) passport, (f) automobile registration, or (g) hunting or fishing license;...

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I was at the Henrico County Courthouse on Monday, and I asked the desk clerk at the circuit court about changing my address on my chp. She had obviously been trained on the issue already. She said "On July 1 we will be able to do that for you, it will cost $10". I was very pleased that she was aware of the upcoming change!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

muzz3256 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:

This is the exact problem I have been having, so I'm just gonna get it changed after July 1st.

-muzz
Or, just bring other secondary ID, and use your CHP only to overcome one handgun a month rationing - address will not matter./