• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KSLA TV News 12: Texans want law allowing them to carry unconcealed weapons

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=8553329&nav=menu50_2

Texans want law allowing them to carry unconcealed weapons

FORT WORTH, TX (KSLA) - Some Texans are pushing for the right to bear arms in public.

Thousands have signed an online petition asking lawmakers to permit Texans to wear handguns without concealing them. The ‘open-carry' petition requests that people who legally buy handguns also be allowed to carry them openly, except in places prohibited by law.

Not all Texans are excited about the effort.

"I would not endorse it, an open hand gun law, where anyone can just walk around with a gun. I just, no. I would be totally against that," said Velenda Dewberry.

However Duane Suddeth, a supporter of the proposal, said, "That's nothing to be afraid of. It's the person that's using it to violate somebody else's rights. That's what you have to worry about. Walking down the street carrying a gun, they're just protecting themselves."

Texas is just one of six states in which handguns cannot be worn in plain view.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Thanks for getting the party started. I've been a member of this board, Packing.org (before it died), TCDL, TexasCHLForum and others for a long time. Not since the original CHL movement have I seen such interest.

I also did my part today. To celebrate the Heller decision I open carried at my home. That's not unusual but I had a service guy coming over to look at my pool heater. I decided to "stay open". He noticed, asked me about it, and I mentioned the Supreme Court ruling of today. Turns out he is a gun owner and supporter of the 2A but not a CHL holder. I told him he should fix that. He agreed.

Like you, I've open carried while mowing the yard. So far, no issues. I'm not sure anyone has noticed dispite cars going down the street with regularity and walkers/joggers.

If open carry does come to TX, I suspect it will work out just like in other places -- most people don't notice or say anything, but there will be a few man-with-a-gun calls that police will have to respond to. Just like concealed carry, it will be lots of scary predictions with just about zero actual problems. Let us hope this day comes soon and perhaps Heller will help us. :celebrate

SA-TX

Walter45Auto

imported post

SA-TX wrote:
If open carry does come to TX, I suspect it will work out just like in other places -- most people don't notice or say anything, but there will be a few man-with-a-gun calls that police will have to respond to. Just like concealed carry, it will be lots of scary predictions with just about zero actual problems. Let us hope this day comes soon and perhaps Heller will help us. :celebrate

SA-TX

In other words, it'll be just like when Texas passed CONCEALED CARRY Laws???? With the same arguments. (I'm surprised they don't just use recordings of them sometimes.)