• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

brandishing

ruger45

imported post

If am standing outside my vehicle I'm loading or unloading my gun, is that considered brandishing if you don't have a CCW? :uhoh:

Michigander

imported post

I don't believe that meets the definition, which is to wave or display or flourish in a menacing or threatining manner. Rather it's doing what you have to in the most civil way possible. Yes, a cop could hassle you, but it probably wouldn't hold up in court.

Furner

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
If am standing outside my vehicle I'm loading or unloading my gun, is that considered brandishing if you don't have a CCW? :uhoh:
There is a AG opinion that defines brandishing. While the opinion is in regards to a reserve police officer, it should be used broadly as it defines the word brandishing.

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10176.htm

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Furner wrote:
ruger45 wrote:
There is a AG opinion that defines brandishing. While the opinion is in regards to a reserve police officer, it should be used broadly as it defines the word brandishing.

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10176.htm
While the opinion was in regards to reserve officers, if you read the opinion she states that a volunteer reserve officer is the same as anyone that is not a legal LEO, so by definition he opinion related to any non LEO meaning you and I. So it really does apply to everyone.

1COUNTRYBOY

imported post

Check out 750.234e. "Brandishing firearm in public" Page 132 Firearms Laws Of Mi.

I received copy of book at CPL Training

(2)Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A Peace Officer lawfully preforming his or her duties as a peace officer.

(b) A person lawfully engaged in hunting.

(c) A peson lawfully engaged in target practice.

(d) A peson lawfully engaged in the sale, purchase, repair, or transfer of that firearm.

Furner

imported post

1COUNTRYBOY wrote:
Check out 750.234e. "Brandishing firearm in public" Page 132 Firearms Laws Of Mi.

I received copy of book at CPL Training

(2)Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A Peace Officer lawfully preforming his or her duties as a peace officer.

(b) A person lawfully engaged in hunting.

(c) A peson lawfully engaged in target practice.

(d) A peson lawfully engaged in the sale, purchase, repair, or transfer of that firearm.

That just means that if you have un-holstered your gun for participation in a lawful purpose (including a private FTF sale) then it is not brandishing.
Make sure you check out the Attorney General opinion that defines brandishing.

1COUNTRYBOY

imported post

The AG's opinion was referring to a reserve police officer carring a holstered weapon. Futher on down the AG acutally defers to federal guidelines"U.S. v Moerman,233 F3d 379,380 (Ca6,2000)....."brandishing" a weapon is defined to mean "that the weapon was pointed or waved about, or displayed in a threatening manner"

Furner

imported post

1COUNTRYBOY wrote:
The AG's opinion was referring to a reserve police officer carring a holstered weapon. Futher on down the AG acutally defers to federal guidelines"U.S. v Moerman,233 F3d 379,380 (Ca6,2000)....."brandishing" a weapon is defined to mean "that the weapon was pointed or waved about, or displayed in a threatening manner"

Correct, but that opinion is important because even for a civilian, it sets a standard that a law enforcement officer must follow during a "man with a gun" call. They cannot ticket or charge you with brandishing for having a concealed or visible holstered gun. The AG does not use any special definition of brandishing, instead, she refered to a dictionary definition as allowed by People v Denio. This would almost certainly be applied to any falsly accused "brandishing" whether civilian or reserve officer.
#7101 is one of those important pieces of documentation as it is the only place where brandishing is defined. It came about because of a reserve officer inquiry, but almost certainly would be applied to civilians as well. No way to know for sure because it has not been tested. But I am confident that it would hold up.

As Venator said above, essentially, the volunteer reserve officers are not "real police".

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

1COUNTRYBOY wrote:
A section of the opinion. Note the bold type.

[size=In the absence of any reported ][/size][size=Michigan][/size][size= appellate court decisions defining "brandishing," it is appropriate to rely upon dictionary definitions. [i]People v Denio,[/i] 454 ][/size][size=Mich][/size][size= 691, 699; 564 NW2d 13 (1997). According to [i]The American Heritage Dictionary, [/i]][/size][size=Second][/size][size= ][/size][size=College][/size][size= Edition (1982][/size][size=), at p 204, the term brandishing is defined as: "1. To wave or flourish menacingly, as a weapon. 2. To display ostentatiously. –n. A menacing or defiant wave or flourish." This definition comports with the meaning ascribed to this term by courts of other jurisdictions.[b] For example, in [/b]][/size][size=United States][/size][size= v Moerman][/size][size=, 233 F3d 379, 380 (CA 6, 2000), the court recognized that in federal sentencing guidelines, "brandishing" a weapon is defined to mean "that the weapon was pointed or waved about, or displayed in a threatening manner."][/size]

[size=[font="Times New Roman"]Applying these definitions to your question, it is clear that a reserve police officer, regardless whether he or she qualifies as a "peace officer," when carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view, is not waving or displaying the firearm in a threatening manner. Thus, such conduct does not constitute brandishing a firearm in violation of section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code.[/font]][/size]

[size=[font="Times New Roman"]It is my opinion, therefore, that a reserve police officer, by carrying a handgun in a holster that is in plain view, does not violate section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code, which prohibits brandishing a firearm in public.[/font]][/size]

[size=[font="Times New Roman"]This ruling applys to anyone OCing, That is they are NOT brandishing.[/font]][/size]