Thread: Gander Mountain Copying Info from State or Federal Form for solicitations

Post imported post

I bought a pistol from Gander Mountain a while back. I filled out all the necessary forms. That's it. I didn't apply for a Gander Mountain Discount, or Credit Card.

I just recieved info in the mail specifically stating I had just bought a firearm from them along with coupons, etc. etc.

Can they do this? Can they take privateinfo off the State or Federal Form? What's stopping them from selling my info or forwarding it to Bloomberg.

I didn't like it. I don't like it. I don't think they can do that.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

I absolutely believe that is illegal

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

I'm not sure it's illegal ...not sure it's not. but it's certainly unethical.
    Call ATF and ask if it is permitted also call VA state police.

Then jump up GM's Backsides!

I know the wife didn;t get anything like that, I'll ask my son if they did.

Post imported post

"These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    SNIP I didn't apply for a Gander Mountain Discount, or Credit Card.
    Bill of Sale or invoice or anything like that with your name and address?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

How did you pay? If you paid with check or plastic, you gave them the information. How do you think Wal Mart and other large chains do such targeted marketing? They know exactly who bought what, except for the handful of people who pay with cash.

Also, the dealer is required to keep your name, address, and list the gun(s) you buy, including serial number, in their "bound book". (It's technically a "record of acquisition and disposition", and it's computerized in any dealer except the smallest Mom & Pop, but everyone still calls it the "bound book".)

This bound book is the store's property. It is not a federal form. You don't fill it out, they do. Nothing says they can't also use it for marketing.

Again: every dealer already has this information. If GM is using it for marketing, they're probably not alone among large chains.

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    I didn't like it. I don't like it. I don't think they can do that.
    If they couldn't, you would not have gotten the mailings.

If it were illegal, then Bloomberg would not be getting his information agreements or not!

Post imported post

If Wal-Mart can video tape gun sales I don't see how this would be illegal. Maybe aggravating or possibly unethical but I doubt illegal.