• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gander Mountain Copying Info from State or Federal Form for solicitations

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I bought a pistol from Gander Mountain a while back. I filled out all the necessary forms. That's it. I didn't apply for a Gander Mountain Discount, or Credit Card.

I just recieved info in the mail specifically stating I had just bought a firearm from them along with coupons, etc. etc.

Can they do this? Can they take privateinfo off the State or Federal Form? What's stopping them from selling my info or forwarding it to Bloomberg.

I didn't like it. I don't like it. I don't think they can do that.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'm not sure it's illegal ...not sure it's not. but it's certainly unethical.
Call ATF and ask if it is permitted also call VA state police.

Then jump up GM's Backsides!

I know the wife didn;t get anything like that, I'll ask my son if they did.

KBCraig

imported post

How did you pay? If you paid with check or plastic, you gave them the information. How do you think Wal Mart and other large chains do such targeted marketing? They know exactly who bought what, except for the handful of people who pay with cash.

Also, the dealer is required to keep your name, address, and list the gun(s) you buy, including serial number, in their "bound book". (It's technically a "record of acquisition and disposition", and it's computerized in any dealer except the smallest Mom & Pop, but everyone still calls it the "bound book".)

This bound book is the store's property. It is not a federal form. You don't fill it out, they do. Nothing says they can't also use it for marketing.

Again: every dealer already has this information. If GM is using it for marketing, they're probably not alone among large chains.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
I didn't like it. I don't like it. I don't think they can do that.

If they couldn't, you would not have gotten the mailings.

If it were illegal, then Bloomberg would not be getting his information agreements or not!

PT111

imported post

If Wal-Mart can video tape gun sales I don't see how this would be illegal. Maybe aggravating or possibly unethical but I doubt illegal.