• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL to be highlighted by Nightline tonight!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Tune into your local ABC affiliate at 11PM - they may run teaser or local gun stories - then Nightline at 1135!

--

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/News/story?id=314

Tonight on 'Nightline'

June 25, 2008
carousel_nightline_logo.gif

Bearing Arms

The gun debate continues to brew in Virginia, where memories of the Virginia Tech shootings are still raw. One group is at work defending its "right to keep and bear arms." The Virginia Citizen's Defense League is in full-force behind "open carry" laws. ABC's John Donvan reports.

Sheriff

imported post

The news report said the Newport News police refused to comment on the picnic, not one word.

WTF is up with that? :question:

rabbit994

imported post

What did you expect them (Local PD) to say? They are completely legal. My response as Law Enforcement Agency would have been: Their actions are completely legal and any decisions on whether they should be permitted or not is left to legislators.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I thought it was a nice segment. I saw me like 2 seconds total.

F (forget)the newport news police. Their no comment to me means that they would be afraid to comment as they might not know the laws.. Imagine them sayin on national news somethign like "We don't mind them carrying and they all were carrying REGISTERED handguns with their VIRGINIA OPEN CARRY permits.. we radomly Terry Stopped (whatever that means) a hand ful of them just to "run the numbers" and everything came out ok."

So They probably opted to just not say anything...

nova

imported post

I gasped when they started playing the music that overlayed the "old west" pictures, I guess it sounded a little "Deliverance"-like at first, maybe I just had Saslaw's comments fresh on my mind.

I did like the fact they showed that the people carrying there were safe gun handlers and that a "gun grab" wouldn't be easily done.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Overall, a very good piece IMO, especially for a major network.

We were well-represented by PVC, jpierce, Mike, Danbus, ...

Oh, and I was reminded by my mercifully-short appearance that I need to re-start my diet!

vbnative73

imported post

bohdi wrote:
disappointing to say the least.
How was THAT disappointing? For as liberal as the press usually is, that was pretty damn good. Looks like it would be really enlightening and educational to those who :what:whenever they see somebody OCing.

VAopencarry

imported post

Don't think we could expect anything better. Fair, balanced, almost positive reporting. OF course, they could probably do a mini series just on Danbus. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I think that it was a well presented piece for a major network.

There was no attempt to trick or trap anyone into looking foolish.

We were shown to be a diverse group of law abiding citizens (young, old, male and female w/children & pets) all exercising our right to carry and defend ourselves while acting completely responsible. Nightline even went so far as to point out that not one - repeat, not one - person would touch or unholster their weapon when asked about it. Demonstrates good safety practices does it not.

While this piece may not have been outragiously pro - it was impartial and candid. We need more exposure like this.

Thanks to all that contributed. Looking forward to a link of this presentation.

Yata hey

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Now I'm really mad I didn't go, missed my chance to be famous. Great job to everyone there who represented the cause well.