• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need your opinion.

Volzfan

imported post

I would to get your opinion of a Springfield XD40 Compact. I am replacing a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm as my carry weapon and want to know if this is a good choice.

Thanks

tattedupboy

imported post

Springfields are good, quality weapons and you really can't go wrong with one. However, as to whether it's a good choice for you, you have to figure that out based on whether it suits you. Rent one at the range and see how it feels in your hand and if you shoot it well. If yes and yes, then yes, you have made a good choice.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Volzfan wrote:
I would to get your opinion of a Springfield XD40 Compact. I am replacing a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm as my carry weapon and want to know if this is a good choice.

Thanks

My opinion is that XD pistols are crap.

You asked for it...

Volzfan

imported post

Have you owned one and this opinion comes from personal experience or did you have a friend that had one?

Honest opinions are what I am looking for. Thanks for your time to share your thoughts about this pistol.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I very much like the XD line, carry an XD45, and have shot all of the offerings excepting the .357sigs, .40 Service (5" barrel) and new XD(M). I have never had an FTF or FTE with an XD excepting recently with my XD45 which was tracked back to an ammo problem. If their popularity is any indication, many people share my positive opinion. They have been through abuse tests similar to the much publicized Glock tests without failure. If the ergonomics fit you well I think it would serve well as your carry sidearm.

You don't say what exactly you want an opinion about so I'll leave it at those general thoughts unless you have specific questions we can answer.

Volzfan

imported post

That is the kind of reply I was looking for. Just overall opinion about the gun. I have looked at it at my local gunshop and like the feel of the gun. I know Springfield is a decent brand but have not owned one. Thanks

eyesopened

imported post

I've owned my XD45C for about 2 years now and it's a great pistol. It's never given me any problems. It's more accurate than I can shoot and it fits me well. Even though I have small hands, I can comfortabley shoot the XD45 with it's double stack 45 carrying 13+1 or 10+1 with the smaller magazine. Apparently the 9mm/.40 versions are slightly slimmer in the grip, but it's honestly very hard to tell. My other carry pistol is an EMP and it's even eaiser to carry, but it'sa single stack 9mm 9+1. As far as I know the entire XD line has received high marks from the industry.

Springfield also has awesome customer service. I had a problem with my EMP's magazine release. I called in and they gave me an RMA number. I sent in my pistol, they repaired it free of charge and they paid for shipping back as well as refunded me my shipping costs to them. This is a lifetime warranty on their pistols. If5 years down the road you need something fixed, it'll be free. Also it was less than 2 weeks for my pistol to be returned to me.

Here is the torture test that was mentioned: http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

SQLtables

imported post

I LOVE my XD40 Service and my XD9 subcompact. They are both great weapons. I haven't had any problems with either of them, except a guy who tried to shoot his own reloads, which weren't to spec, but even then, the gun worked as expected and did not fire out of battery.

YOU have to try it out and make sure it fits you. If it fits, you can't go wrong.

Dustin

imported post

XD's are Top of the Line.

You'll be very hard pressed to find a Professional article writing anything negative about Springfield XD's.

I got $100 that says Bravo_Sierrais a Glock Nut :banghead:

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Dustin wrote:

You'll be very hard pressed to find a Professional article writing anything negative about Springfield XD's.

I got $100 that says Bravo_Sierrais a Glock Nut :banghead:
You would win that bet.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Find a pistol range nearby that rents them, and give them a SHOT (no pun intended). Then you won't need anyone else's opinion. You'll have your own to rely on.

FWIW, my bro-in-law carries an XD40SC and loves it, I prefer Glocks and Kahrs, but wouldn't be uncomfortable or feel underarmed carrying an XD instead.

Eeyore

imported post

I don't own one, but I've shot them and like and respect XDs. XDs are good quality guns. As a result, they are popular. As a result of their popularity, it is very easy to find holsters and accessories that fit them.

IMHO, the ergo's are good but not perfect. The grip angle is correct (unlike Glocks and Steyrs), but it's still a little too square for my liking. I will soon buy an M&P instead of an XD because of its rounded, adjustable grips (and lower price).

Bottom line: it's a personal choice, but you could do far, far worse than an XD.

[fantasy] If I could, I'd put a Steyr trigger in an M&P frame with the grip safety and slide from an XD. [/fantasy]

apcci2

imported post

An XD is a good weapon. I do not have a xd, but I do own some springfields. They have great quality/service/warranty. (Just like S&W). I have used an XD45 on several occasions and have never had a problem. The only thing that I don't like about them is the lemonsqueezer on the handle. I personally, don't want that added safety. But, like the previous posts said, you need to go with a sidearm that suits you.

Also, I don't understand what all the talk is about a glock. I have three of them, and, although I do like them, they are not God's gift to handguns. just my opinion on that.

thelemite

imported post

Quality weapon. I would try the Glock 22-23-27, Xd 40 and the S&w M&P 40. All of them are in the same basic target market. It would come down to personal feel, and you would do well with any of the three models to be perfectly honest.

Jack Hollowpoint

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Volzfan wrote:

Thanks

My opinion is that XD pistols are crap.

You asked for it...
No reason, no wherefore, no supporting evidence, but mostly, mostly, no alternative recommendations.

XD gets rave reviews, "gun of the year" from several sources. I own an XD, 45 ACP "Tactical" 5" bbl. "compact 10 rd" and "std 14 rd" mag grip. I put a Glock laser on it. Mostly it gets stowed in the side pocket of the vehicle.

Anything with a double stack mag in my book is too FAT for CCW. Personally, I think the double stack "sub-compact" polymer guns, 4" bbl. XD and Glock 26 / 27, are too FAT and blocky for CCW, also the grips are too short for good pointing. They tend to be top heavy and front heavy.

I can carry a full size, 5" 45 ACP XD in CCW. It's a stretch. In fact, I can carry an Uzi Mod. 45 machine pistol in CCW if pressed. Secret Service carries the Uzi Mod. 45 carbine in CCW, under their suit coats.

It's not practical.

I've been looking for the "perfect CCW" gun for a couple decades now. As close as I get is the J-Frame snub, and a Kahr single stack 9mm. There are numerous polymer 9mm single stack options out there these days. I like "thin" in a carry gun, small and light. I'm willing to give over some terminal ballistics to weight and size issues in CCW.

Open carry "in the field" is a Smith 629, 4" bbl. 44 magnum -- long gun in the vehicle.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I got $100 that says Bravo_Sierra is a Glock Nut :banghead:

It's much worse than that. He seems to think that only one gun (A Glock 19), and only one caliber (9mm obviously) can be useful, everything else is a waste of time. He also thinks that any kind of accessory (Besides whatever accessory he buys) is also a complete waste of time.

His opinions are formed on essentially nothing from what I can see, so I wouldn't suggest that anyone listen to them, that's for sure.

Vandal

imported post

I carry a XD45 with the 4"bbl daily in both CC and OC. I have shot over 2000 rds (some have shot 10,000 plus through theirs) through it and have had all of zero problems with it. I have found it to be as reliable as an AK and very easy to shoot and clean. The grip angle is more like the 1911 as compared to the very strange grip angle on the Glocks. The new XDm is fantastic and make for the 40S&W. For small and compact check the XD40 Sub compact and then get the Pierce Grip extension.

For more XD info check out http://www.xdtalk.com. It is a little biased but has a lot of good opinions on all models of the XDs.

and it is my opinion that Glocks are crap.