• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Welcomed

Michigander

imported post

I would OC there when I visit Michigan in a couple weeks while I recover from my CZ52 eff up, but being a non resident without a CPL I can't bring my pistol. But I will be stopping in for a snack, an open invitation to OCers is more than enough to earn a visit from me.

NervisRek

imported post

Just to clarify which coffee store. The Coffee Beanery is on the West side of Woodward, South of 12 Mile. There's a "Beaner" which is now called "Bigsby" on the East side of Woodward a lttle farther North.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

NervisRek wrote:
Just to clarify which coffee store. The Coffee Beanery is on the West side of Woodward, South of 12 Mile. There's a "Beaner" which is now called "Bigsby" on the East side of Woodward a lttle farther North.

Do they have a fairly large seating area? Maybe you can arrange/host an OC get together there this year. Find out what the owner(s) have to say. We would only be there about 2 hours or so depending on how many that would attend.

It never hurts to ask. All they can say isno. :)

1COUNTRYBOY

imported post

I'm in,was planning to go anyway. (just because they support o.c.) I am liking the o.c. more and more) Plan on talking to some of the local bussiness to see how they will respond. Guys at work still tell me crazy to do it. Mom always said it never did any good to tell me I couldn't do something.(spend many a day grounded or sore a**ed)

NervisRek

imported post

Just so you guys know, you don't need a group to carry at the coffee shop, you can do so as an individual. I've done so many times. Mon - Fri 4:00-9:00pm. Greg says no problem. By the way, great food also and yes lots of seating, with entertainment on Friday nights (Usually),

Michigander

imported post

I told my brother about this, and he happily came by and bought some stuff even though he isn't an OCer. It's nice being able to go to an actually cool coffee shop. :cool:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

1COUNTRYBOY wrote:
I'm in,was planning to go anyway. (just because they support o.c.) I am liking the o.c. more and more) Plan on talking to some of the local bussiness to see how they will respond. Guys at work still tell me crazy to do it. Mom always said it never did any good to tell me I couldn't do something.(spend many a day grounded or sore a**ed)

Why do that? I suggest you just OC in the store and let the management approach you if they do at all. In all of my OCing only one coffee shop asked me to take my gun out to my car. You can read about it in the OC experiences thread.

Why ask how they feel about it? Nothing to gain by doing that

WARCHILD

imported post

Why do that? I suggest you just OC in the store and let the management approach you if they do at all. In all of my OCing only one coffee shop asked me to take my gun out to my car. You can read about it in the OC experiences thread.

Why ask how they feel about it? Nothing to gain by doing that

Shame on you, haven't I been any influence on you yet? :banghead: It's called RESPECT! The same as I respect your opinion of "better to be forgiven than ask permission". Not that I agree with it (we always agree to disagree on this one). I commend him for his being thoughtful enough to ask.

off my soap box now---- See you sat. Brian

Michigander

imported post

On the one hand, it IS polite to ask. But why should you have to? We here all agree that it's a basic human right to be able to defend yourself to whatever reasonable level is needed, and a firearm is part of that. If someone wants to take away that basic freedom from you while you are actually giving them business, they should at least have a sign. But yes, it is an uncommon thing to have a weapon displayed on a hip. It goes both ways, and I say you are both right.

ghostrider

imported post

I never saw it as respectful or polite to ask to carry a gun into someones establishment. I consider carrying a gun a personal choice. To me it is like asking if I can wear purple underwear into the same place. It's not like I'm not respect thier wishes, it's just that I don't see any benifit from making an issue out of it. I don't see not asking as disrespectful or impolite. However respecting thier wishes if they ask you to leave.

My opinion is that they don't have any right to tell you to not wear the gun. The right they do have is telling me to leave, not cover up or disarm. Their house, their rules; my body, my rules.

Sorry, but I just find it kind of strange to walk up to a proprietor and ask, "Excuse me but, do you mind if I carry my gun in here?" (mind you, I am talking about me personaly. People must do what they feel comfortable with). That would be myself making an issue out of it. I would much rather treat it as a non-issue, and if someone else decides to make an issue of it then, well ... that's their decision. However, I'm not going to fall into the game of making it out to be more than it is. By that logic, CCW's, as well as LEO would also be asking permission. Act like you belong there.

SQLtables

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
I never saw it as respectful or polite to ask to carry a gun into someones establishment. I consider carrying a gun a personal choice. To me it is like asking if I can wear purple underwear into the same place. It's not like I'm not respect thier wishes, it's just that I don't see any benifit from making an issue out of it. I don't see not asking as disrespectful or impolite. However respecting thier wishes if they ask you to leave.

My opinion is that they don't have any right to tell you to not wear the gun. The right they do have is telling me to leave, not cover up or disarm. Their house, their rules; my body, my rules.

Sorry, but I just find it kind of strange to walk up to a proprietor and ask, "Excuse me but, do you mind if I carry my gun in here?" (mind you, I am talking about me personaly. People must do what they feel comfortable with). That would be myself making an issue out of it. I would much rather treat it as a non-issue, and if someone else decides to make an issue of it then, well ... that's their decision. However, I'm not going to fall into the game of making it out to be more than it is. By that logic, CCW's, as well as LEO would also be asking permission. Act like you belong there.

Underwear should be CCed, maybe purple pants? :lol:

I agree with you're entire post. Asking seems like it is more likely to cause more problems and should be unnecessary.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
ghostrider wrote:

Underwear should be CCed, maybe purple pants? :lol:

I agree with you're entire post. Asking seems like it is more likely to cause more problems and should be unnecessary.
I too have to agree with Venator and ghostrider on this issue. However, in a case where you may know the owner/manager of the business, I would agree with Jerry and most likely ask. Other than that, I don't see the point. It's just asking them to post signage.

ghostrider

imported post

I too have to agree with Venator and ghostrider on this issue. However, in a case where you may know the owner/manager of the business, I would agree with Jerry and most likely ask. Other than that, I don't see the point. It's just asking them to post signage.
I concur. If you know the owner/manager, then you will know the correct course of action as to whether or not to ask. It would much depend upon the relation you have with that person.

Michigander

imported post

If you are someone like warchild, who likes to go up and talk to people and be courteous, I think asking permission can very much be a good thing. You can figure out a perfect way to ask, similar to the technique of hobo's who are really good with psychology, and not only educate the store owner or clerk or manager, who would have maybe not even really noticed or thought you were a plain clothes cop, but you might even recruit a new OCer!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Granted, that sort of thing isn't for everyone, and I don't feel like doing that either, but if that is the attitude someone wants to take, I see nothing wrong with it.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Michigander wrote:
If you are someone like warchild, who likes to go up and talk to people and be courteous, I think asking permission can very much be a good thing. You can figure out a perfect way to ask, similar to the technique of hobo's who are really good with psychology, and not only educate the store owner or clerk or manager, who would have maybe not even really noticed or thought you were a plain clothes cop, but you might even recruit a new OCer!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Granted, that sort of thing isn't for everyone, and I don't feel like doing that either, but if that is the attitude someone wants to take, I see nothing wrong with it.
I can see where this may work. If, for example, you did not know the owner/manager on a personal basis, butas a frequent patron of the business (coffee shop, gas station, etc.) you may haveestablished some trust from the individuals.

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:

I completely agree with you. I think it's good that there are those who can do it in a positive manner with good results. My only point is that I don't consider asking permission a matter of respect or courteous. After all, Rosa Parks wasn't demonstrating disrespectful behavior when she sat at the front of the bus, nor was she being impolite. It also would not have been respectful for her to ask permission to do so. She had every right to be there, and so do we as gun owners. The difference lies in that a private business/property owner has the right to ask us to leave, and it is respectful and courteous to do so without making a scene.

I’m not in any way trying to disparage or discourage the practice of asking permission. If that’s what someone wants to do then God Bless Them. People have to make their own personal decision on how they will conduct themselves, and unless it somehow affects me personally, I don’t see it as my place to criticize. I also understand that there are instances where such actions may well be the best course.