• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Welcomed

WARCHILD

imported post

This is what I like about this forum. A good debate of the pros and cons of an individual choice. I do agree fully with both points of view. No, I do not ask "every" store I go into for permission. It is the ones that I frequent most and are seen often. The posts have demonstrated my point fully. It is the persons own choice how to present himself that matters. I don't make it a point to find a manager everywhere I go just to ask. But if I see one and he gives any notice to my gun, I will initiate a conversation with him about it. As we know, many people are not aware that it's legal to carry. As with the Dollar General store here in Owosso. When I got a fixed look from the employee, I explained to herit was legal and not to have any concern. She was fine with that and no further issues have occured.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Why do that? I suggest you just OC in the store and let the management approach you if they do at all. In all of my OCing only one coffee shop asked me to take my gun out to my car. You can read about it in the OC experiences thread.

Why ask how they feel about it? Nothing to gain by doing that

Shame on you, haven't I been any influence on you yet? :banghead: It's called RESPECT! The same as I respect your opinion of "better to be forgiven than ask permission". Not that I agree with it (we always agree to disagree on this one). I commend him for his being thoughtful enough to ask.

off my soap box now---- See you sat. Brian

You have had some influences on me, but not on this point.

Let's look at the numbers. Look, most people are neutral on guns, many are plain anti-gun, a few are pro gun. We as pro-gun people can't even agree on OC vs CC for God's sake, how is a neutral person, say an owner or manger going to react if you ask..."Hey I"m bringing a gun into your store do you mind?" The odds, based on theabove breakdown is thatthe manager will say no (for whatever reason..but I bet it will be because he doesn't want to take on the perceived responsibility by allowing you to carry the gun in his store). If they are anti-gun you are screwed. You might get lucky and find one of the few pro gun people as an owner/manager, but with the odds I showed, I wouldn't bet on it. So the odds are stacked against you by asking permission, little gain with a big potential lose.

I feel it's much better to go about your shopping as if nothing is out of the ordinary. If nothing happens and no one complains, you show up again. If you are a regular customer and they get to know you by sight, they will realize you are not a threat and they may more favourably deal with a customer that is concerned. He may say "oh that guy, he's okay, he's in here a lot, don't worry." I have had this happen more then being asked to leave (with the one time so far).

And, this doesn't take into account all the other reasons mentioned, like personal defense and freedom, etc...

I still say it's better odds not to ask.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

I think you guys need to save this one for the show ;)

I see both as viable options solely dependent on if you frequent the business and are already known(by face or name) by the owner/manager.

I think:

If the manager or owner doesn't know you the chances of being asked to conceal or not bring the weapon in is greater. (bad thing)

If the manager or owner does know you the chances of being welcome to bring the weapon in is much greater. (good thing)

So, could it be said that if you are known it's best to ask and if you are not known it's best to not ask?

ummm...opps, I think I may have just killed the discussion.:p

Sailorwatson

imported post

Venator wrote:

Let's look at the numbers. Look, most people are neutral on guns, many are plain anti-gun, a few are pro gun. We as pro-gun people can't even agree on OC vs CC for God's sake, how is a neutral person, say an owner or manger going to react if you ask..."Hey I"m bringing a gun into your store do you mind?" The odds, based on theabove breakdown is thatthe manager will say no (for whatever reason..but I bet it will be because he doesn't want to take on the perceived responsibility by allowing you to carry the gun in his store). If they are anti-gun you are screwed. You might get lucky and find one of the few pro gun people as an owner/manager, but with the odds I showed, I wouldn't bet on it. So the odds are stacked against you by asking permission, little gain with a big potential lose.

I feel it's much better to go about your shopping as if nothing is out of the ordinary. If nothing happens and no one complains, you show up again. If you are a regular customer and they get to know you by sight, they will realize you are not a threat and they may more favourably deal with a customer that is concerned. He may say "oh that guy, he's okay, he's in here a lot, don't worry." I have had this happen more then being asked to leave (with the one time so far).

And, this doesn't take into account all the other reasons mentioned, like personal defense and freedom, etc...

I still say it's better odds not to ask.
All valid points, and well said.

WARCHILD

imported post

It just burns my nosehairs when you confuse me with facts. Thanks againg Brian, you just always gotta be right. I do agree with your points of fact, can't deny your logic either. Darn it.:cuss:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
It just burns my nosehairs when you confuse me with facts. Thanks againg Brian, you just always gotta be right. I do agree with your points of fact, can't deny your logic either. Darn it.:cuss:

Jerry, did you mean:

1) again, or

2) aging :)

WARCHILD

imported post

Yes, I meant--- agaiN--- damn keyboard:cuss:

I'm working on getting a land line phone number for you guys to use sat. at the picnic if you want to call in, and by chance if the talk shoe line screws up again you'll have a backup number already. I'll try to post it a.s.a.p. , if I can get a hold of Steve.

ghostrider

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:

I'm working on getting a land line phone number for you guys to use sat. at the picnic if you want to call in, and by chance if the talk shoe line screws up again you'll have a backup number already. I'll try to post it a.s.a.p. , if I can get a hold of Steve.
I would also recommend either Jerry, Brian, or both give at least one of the members who will be attending the picnic their cell numbers. It might come in handy considering that the picnic is scheduled to start two hours before the show.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:

I would also recommend either Jerry, Brian, or both give at least one of the members who will be attending the picnic their cell numbers. It might come in handy considering that the picnic is scheduled to start two hours before the show.

If by chance, the SHTF, via cell phone(s), they can broadcastthe detainment.

We're live at the Grand Rapids OC picnic.... :lol: