• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Only Two People Speak For OpenCarry.org

Sheriff

imported post

Pointman wrote:
LEO229's actions are just part of the complaints John and Mike have had to endure pertaining to all the moderators......John and Mike..... how they put up with all the crap and remain passionate is beyond me.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. But I just joined 5 weeks ago. :shock:

I can understandmoreso now why John and Mike took their bat and ball off the playing field and decided to take care of things themselves.

I used to be an Administrator on a major Ford forum. A forum that was much larger than this, and I had no trouble keeping up with the day to day operations by myself. So it's not really a monumental task. But.... just like John and Mike will discover once again.... I was never able to please everybody.

Now as far as IP addresses, the funniest thing was watching people create multiple user names to talk to themselves and offer support to themselves. There was a guy in Texas with a static IP address that I banned on a daily basis. He would create a 2nd and 3rd user name as fast as I could ban them.

unreconstructed1

imported post

I would like to say this. As many have noted, the OCDO website, and by extension, this forum, have become an unofficial headquarters for the Open Carry movement. our conduct here reflects, not only on ourselves, but on the entire movement as a whole. Everyone is passionate about certain things, and most often those passionate about one side will vehemently disagree with those on teh opposing side. I can understand this, as I myself have been involved in instances very similar. The thing to remember Gentlemen, is that we honestly must conduct ourselves here as we would at any public venue. We wouldn't go to an Open carry rally, and begin arguing amongst ourselves would we? well what we have here is the exact same thing, but in a manner in which every word of those arguments are recorded. We need to keep that in mind every time we come here. I know I have been guilty of forgetting this on at least one occasion...

tattedupboy

imported post

Well, you did what you felt you had to do to restore some order to the board and I, for one, respect that. The numerous moderators on this board, (some of whom got carried away with their authority) sometimes made posting on here nearly as bad as PDO, which had no moderators, and thus, was prone to spam (I think all of you former PDO members remember GhostofSteelhorse). Anyway, thanks for having the guts to take back the site.

Sheriff

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
The numerous moderators on this board, (some of whom got carried away with their authority) sometimes made posting on here nearly as bad as PDO.... thanks for having the guts to take back the site.
What is PDQ? :question:

markand

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:
The numerous moderators on this board, (some of whom got carried away with their authority) sometimes made posting on here nearly as bad as PDO.... thanks for having the guts to take back the site.
I believe that would be PDO or Packing.org, a now apprently defunct website that was devoted to gun laws and other gun related topics in the various states. From my perspective, forum moderators got out of hand and the owner of the site removed them enmasse. A self moderation scheme where users could essentially remove posts by "voting" against posts and posters was also problematic. The owner went off to law school and the site is no longer on-line.

Others may have more detailed information.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Maybe John and Mike can create a thread to allow the membership to vote on who, how many, etc.will be moderators...just an idea.

Other than that, any suggestions? We all know John and Mike are to busy-at least for now-to moderate the site.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Sheriff wrote:

markand wrote:
From my perspective, forum moderators got out of hand and the owner of the site removed them enmasse.
Sounds like history was getting ready to repeat itself here then. :shock:
From what I have seen I don't think it is a direct comparison. I was not an active poster on PDO but I did read the forums often. There are many differences IMO on which I will not elaborate as to not inadvertently offend any former active PDO member.

A few years ago PDO was THE concealed carry site on the net. Other sites have now taken it's place on the CC issue, such as handgunlaw.us and our own OCDO well covers the OC issues.

markand

imported post

Deepdiver wrote:
From what I have seen I don't think it is a direct comparison. I was not an active poster on PDO but I did read the forums often. There are many differences IMO on which I will not elaborate as to not inadvertently offend any former active PDO member.

A few years ago PDO was THE concealed carry site on the net. Other sites have now taken it's place on the CC issue, such as handgunlaw.us and our own OCDO well covers the OC issues.
I agree, there isn't a direct comparision between PDO and OCDO. I wasn"t suggesting that OCDO would go the way of PDO. The issues and ownership are different. I was sorry to see PDO go, however. At its peak, it was an extremely valuable resource. The Michigan State Attorney General's office web site even noted it as a valuable resource and provided a link to it. Now, of course, they have a link to handgunlaw.us.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

markand wrote:
Deepdiver wrote:

I agree, there isn't a direct comparision between PDO and OCDO. I wasn"t suggesting that OCDO would go the way of PDO. The issues and ownership are different. I was sorry to see PDO go, however. At its peak, it was an extremely valuable resource. The Michigan State Attorney General's office web site even noted it as a valuable resource and provided a link to it. Now, of course, they have a link to handgunlaw.us.
I certainly didn't think you were and was responding to Sheriff. You're quote just kinda got caught up in it all. Sorry if I my post read differently.

I agree re: PDO being valuable which is why I referred to it as "THE" CC site at one time. I too was sorry to see PDO go and it's infrequent updates left a huge gap in information until handgunlaw.us was up and going.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Real newbie here and as a member of many boards, I wish to say this is one that needs to stay. Bickering happens and moves on.

Especially after watching a video of a group of OCers having a picnic.

Iwould want a picnic of people near me and on my land. I even have a firing range.

This group is going to grow and I hope to be a part of it.

My place near Elizabethtown, Ky is open for a meet. Just holler.

TheMrMitch Thanks for having me.

imperialism2024

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Maybe John and Mike can create a thread to allow the membership to vote on who, how many, etc.will be moderators...just an idea.

Other than that, any suggestions? We all know John and Mike are to busy-at least for now-to moderate the site.
Democracy is the rule of fools by fools... :uhoh:

tarzan1888

imported post

I am a Scout Master and took my Troop of Scouts to Scout Camp last week.

No cell phones no papers no radio no TV.

I get back and I find that we won Heller vs DC and also that there are nowno more mods on the forum.

I don't like bullies and I don't like cry-babies.

Point in case; take the the 4 following avid posters.

deepdiver, posts often and I generally agree with what he posts.

imperialism2024, posts often and on some subjects he and I are diametrically opposed, but on others we are right on.

Doug Huffman, posts often and on some things like the NRA and some authority issues we disagree, but on most others we have very similar views.

LEO229, posts often and on some issues we disagree, but on most others we agree.

I have great respect for each of these posters as the generally act as gentleman and I respect what they say, even if I don't agree.

None of them have ever called me names or in any way given me problems about things we disagree on.

They are not bullies or cry-babies

There are other posters on this forum that are both.

For example; as soon as LEO 229 was made a Mod, they sought every opportunity to mock him, prod him and use every devise known to man to catch him in his words. Then as soon as they thought they could they ran to mommy crying about big bad LEO229 and how he called them names or what ever.

If you kick and poke any of us,long enough,we will eventually retaliate. That goes for me too, but the men I listed above are gentleman who I think respect the difference that exist on this board and along with the other former Mods and most of the members are men who I would gladly fight shoulder to shoulder with when and if the need be.

I hate so see a bunch of cry-baby bullies alter a great forum and cause its owners and former moderators the problems that they have.

I will abide by the final decision of the owners, BUT I call for us all to stand up and be men and women, who act the part and tell the cry-baby bullies to grow up or leave.

I, for one, would like to see all the former moderators returned to their positions as they are all Honorable men who were doing their best.

Tarzan

WARCHILD

imported post

imperialism2024, posts often and on some subjects he and I are diametrically opposed, but on others we are right on.

Doug Huffman, posts often and on some things like the NRA and some authority issues we disagree, but on most others we have very similar views.

LEO229, posts often and on some issues we disagree, but on most others we agree.

+1 I agree, as I stated in an earlier post, put away the childish BS and let's get back to work as a group. I have seen "In fighting" tear more than one organization apart over the years, over nothing more than personality conflicts. Re-instate the mods and let's try it again.

GROW UP GENTLEMEN--- we are all supposed to be adults or else we couldn't carry guns. :uhoh:

67GT390FB

imported post

My opinion.

Mike and John made the right decision, period.

BobCav was the only moderate moderator andwas the first and longest standing member moderator. Bob was not a pushover but he did not let his moderator powers go to his head either. If Mike and John wish at somepoint to seek help again my suggestion is to stop and end there.

Member Moderators need to be moderate and not use their moderation powers to "control" their own little internet fiefdoms.

Mike and John as owners can do whatever they please their house their rules.

I'll end with pointing out the fact that only one of the removed moderators has publicly asked for his power back as well as claiming that OCDO is turning into PDO in another thread. My interpretation of his statement was that since he had been removed as a mod then the forum was just going to heck in a handbasket. That to me was the final affirmation that John and Mike had made the correct choice.

Joe

Sheriff

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
My opinion.

Mike and John made the right decision, period.

BobCav was the only moderate moderator andwas the first and longest standing member moderator. Bob was not a pushover but he did not let his moderator powers go to his head either. If Mike and John wish at somepoint to seek help again my suggestion is to stop and end there.

Member Moderators need to be moderate and not use their moderation powers to "control" their own little internet fiefdoms.

Mike and John as owners can do whatever they please their house their rules.

I'll end with pointing out the fact that only one of the removed moderators has publicly asked for his power back as well as claiming that OCDO is turning into PDO in another thread. My interpretation of his statement was that since he had been removed as a mod then the forum was just going to heck in a handbasket. That to me was the final affirmation that John and Mike had made the correct choice.

Joe
Excellent post. I now agree with everything you have said. Especially the last paragraph.

sprat

imported post

Handgunlaw is run by two old moderaters from Packing dot org, one was very controversal. he used to take swipes at folks all the time. Personally I think he is and was a jerk thank god they don't have discussion forum there. he was one of the reasons for the self managed site, which helped cause its demise. I wasmajor contributor and I miss that site

as for Ip's on Gunco last march a moderator didn't like what I had to say and when he lost the discussion he posted my IP address which was not needed, it may be available for the "Gifted Computer Geeks" ( no slight towards anyone)but notto the rest of us old folks. I have noproblem with the mods here.

I think folks didn't like the way leo spoke his mind, for meas a former sheriffs officer it was that train of thought that caused me to get out of that profession & fast, but that was personal.

sprat

Sheriff

imported post

sprat wrote:
......the way leo spoke his mind, for meas a former sheriffs officer it was that train of thought that caused me to get out of that profession & fast...
You're not the only one in that boat.

The profession has lost thousands of fine officers nationwide.

tarzan1888

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:

Doug Huffman, posts often  and on some things like the NRA and some authority issues we disagree, but on most others we have very similar views.

+1        I agree, as I stated in an earlier post, put away the childish BS and let's get back to work as a group. I have seen "In fighting" tear more than one organization apart over the years, over nothing more than personality conflicts. Re-instate the mods and let's try it again.

GROW UP GENTLEMEN--- we are all supposed to be adults or else we couldn't carry guns. :uhoh:

You are right.

I have been a spitting match or two on this fourm, and I have been man enough to admit my mistakes, eddit my posts and take my personal opinions to PM's.

When the Mods have come down on me, I've taken it like a man and cleaned up my act. I didn't like it, but I've been a man about it.

You are right. We need to grow up.

I can take it and try harder.....Can you?

Tarzan