• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Only Two People Speak For OpenCarry.org

ToJas

imported post

I realize I'm new, but I was a Mod on a huge forum (CGR), and have been the admin/superMod of several others. I speak from experience when I say that as this forum grows, which it undoubtedly will, John and Mike are going to have to spend a lot more time babysitting.

I do agree that it is their site, and they can do whatever they want. If they decide that they can moderate the entire board on their own, then more power to them, and I'll stand by whatever decisions they make.

That being said (just so it's clear where I'm coming from), I've been unregistered, reading this board since March. I've read all over this board because I'm in Computer Science, and lets face it, those classes are boring. Let me just say that I have seen much worse moderators than the ones here, and that I really haven't seen the abuse of power that seems to be the contention.

I'd rather have some mods with reasonable powers to keep the board from being spammed and trolled (I hate that). But hey, whatever, we'll see what happens as time goes by. I just don't want to see these forums go to crap... I like this place. Check it many times a day.

tarzan1888

imported post

ToJas wrote:
I realize I'm new, but I was a Mod on a huge forum (CGR), and have been the admin/superMod of several others. I speak from experience when I say that as this forum grows, which it undoubtedly will, John and Mike are going to have to spend a lot more time babysitting.

I do agree that it is their site, and they can do whatever they want. If they decide that they can moderate the entire board on their own, then more power to them, and I'll stand by whatever decisions they make.

That being said (just so it's clear where I'm coming from), I've been unregistered, reading this board since March. I've read all over this board because I'm in Computer Science, and lets face it, those classes are boring. Let me just say that I have seen much worse moderators than the ones here, and that I really haven't seen the abuse of power that seems to be the contention.

I'd rather have some mods with reasonable powers to keep the board from being spammed and trolled (I hate that). But hey, whatever, we'll see what happens as time goes by. I just don't want to see these forums go to crap... I like this place. Check it many times a day.

I, for one, thank you for your honest, insightful, mature post.

Tarzan

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am very sorry to hear of this trouble. I hope it will not be too much of a burden on John and Mike, as I have come to really appreciate the information and discussion here.

Sheriff

imported post

ToJas wrote:
.......I really haven't seen the abuse of power that seems to be the contention.

I hate to see this subject go on and on. I really do. But I also hate to see remarks such as the one you just made. It's obvious you misssed the numerous threads that were locked, closed or deleted by one moderator in particular because he suddenly claimed they were OFF TOPIC. And this came to be only after he helped them become OFF TOPIC, participated in them being and becoming OFF TOPIC .....and only closed, locked or deleted them after he found himself on the losing end of whatever debate was taking place.

Yes, there was an obvious abuse of power taking place, or John and Mike would NOT have taken the action they did.

Having said all of the above, there was also an issue ofthe appearance that the Open Carry forums was endorsing and supporting a moderator in his vicious and unwarranted attack on the president of the Virginia Citizen Defense League, Inc. As the OC Administration said, this was one fire they damn sure didn't start, but they put it out real quick once they realized what was taking place in their forums.

ChinChin

imported post

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

ToJas

imported post

My opinion is just that. My opinion. It's worth exactly what you paid for it, and it wasn't meant to start a fire. Yes, clearly I missed something(s). If it's the case that you have a rogue moderator (that is what I gather from your posts, not my opinion), then remove that moderator.

I read his posts which were kindly reposted for us, out of context, (I haven't seen them in context, so I assume context makes no difference), and I in no way thought that John and Mike endorsed his viewpoint. Again, that was just the way I read it, and I don't really feel like arguing with you over what mods were doing what. Frankly, I don't really care. The point of my post was that policing forums is a boring, time-consuming task, and as the forums get larger, the task gets more difficult. My point was ultimately that moderators may be necessary, but John and Mike can run their site the way they see fit.

I wasn't trying to defend the moderator that seems to be specifically named, nor was I trying to attack him.

tarzan1888

imported post

ToJas wrote:
My opinion is just that. My opinion. It's worth exactly what you paid for it, and it wasn't meant to start a fire. Yes, clearly I missed something(s). If it's the case that you have a rogue moderator (that is what I gather from your posts, not my opinion), then remove that moderator.

I read his posts which were kindly reposted for us, out of context, (I haven't seen them in context, so I assume context makes no difference), and I in no way thought that John and Mike endorsed his viewpoint. Again, that was just the way I read it, and I don't really feel like arguing with you over what mods were doing what. Frankly, I don't really care. The point of my post was that policing forums is a boring, time-consuming task, and as the forums get larger, the task gets more difficult. My point was ultimately that moderators may be necessary, but John and Mike can run their site the way they see fit.

I wasn't trying to defend the moderator that seems to be specifically named, nor was I trying to attack him.

ToJas....You seem like a right thinking guy. I like you and respect what you have said.

My advise is much like your opinion....worth about what it cost.

I learned a long time ago that the best way to deal with a bully or a cry-baby is to just ignore them.

Sadly, I have had to learn that same lesson over and over again as I find myself getting irritated and contending with them, when I should be ignoring them.

Oh well....at least I am still trying.

I like the way you think and I am glad you are here, as we need more members and posters like you. I am just sharing my opinion....Man to Man. ;)

Tarzan

ToJas

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
ToJas....You seem like a right thinking guy. I like you and respect what you have said.

My advise is much like your opinion....worth about what it cost.

I learned a long time ago that the best way to deal with a bully or a cry-baby is to just ignore them.

Sadly, I have had to learn that same lesson over and over again as I find myself getting irritated and contending with them, when I should be ignoring them.

Oh well....at least I am still trying.

I like the way you think and I am glad you are here, as we need more members and posters like you. I am just sharing my opinion....Man to Man. ;)

Tarzan

I appreciate it... I like these forums, and like-minded individuals to share thoughts, experiences, and ideas with.

I think that's some good advice, and I do believe I'll be utilizing it.

Thanks for the welcome, I'll be staying on forthe long haul.

tarzan1888

imported post

ToJas wrote:
I appreciate it... I like these forums, and like-minded individuals to share thoughts, experiences, and ideas with.

I think that's some good advice, and I do believe I'll be utilizing it.

Thanks for the welcome, I'll be staying on forthe long haul.

You are very much welcome.

I am a scout master and was gone last week with my scout troop to camp.

I missed most of the action and was caught by surprise.

Mike and John have a wonderful resource here and I am very grateful for it.

Un-fortunately there are those who want to impose their views on others and will go to all lengths to get their point across.

I got my nose broken as a boy, by standing up to such as these and, unfortunately that wasn't that last time it was broken.

I have read all of the comments on this thread, and actually it is a very good thread to read so that you can get an idea of the various posters, and where they stand and what they are like.

It can be a very eye opening experience.

Some want to "Preserve their win" by having this thread go away. Others want the best for OCDO and want to search within themselves as to ways to not only preserve it, but to make it the best that it can be for all of us.

I think we both know where you stand.

Again.....welcome, you will find that most of the people on this forum are good level headed people who will be glad to know you and will respect you and your views, even when they differ from theirs........there are those "few old sore heads"....but just try and ignore them.

Tarzan

Sheriff

imported post

That's actually a photoshop of a scene from the movie Office Space.

They were destroying a copier in a field. The copier was cut out with photoshop and a horse was added back in. :)

imperialism2024

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
You are right.

I have been a spitting match or two on this fourm, and I have been man enough to admit my mistakes, eddit my posts and take my personal opinions to PM's.

When the Mods have come down on me, I've taken it like a man and cleaned up my act. I didn't like it, but I've been a man about it.

You are right. We need to grow up.

I can take it and try harder.....Can you?
Yes!

And this is what made this forum so good in the past, and the lack of it is what is making it suffer a bit now. Maturity. Being able to take an insult or personal attack without retaliating. Being able to control one's emotions and look at issues objectively. Having the intelligence to know when you are writing a post that is OT, and having the self-control to avoid posting it... even when a mod "started it". Grow up already. There are merely words. If you (not you, Tarzan) get upset about a cop's becoming a mod on an Internet forum, perhaps you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Anyhow, to those who are unfamiliar with all the uproar over LEO229's "oppressive" thread locking, here's a quick and exaggerated summary of how the threads went down:
OP: *posts interesting story that casts LEOs in a negative light*
LEO229: I agree, those particular police officers overstepped their boundaries.
Poster1: All you cops are scum of the earth! You should all be shot!
Poster2: Yeah doughnut boy! How do you reply to that?
LEO229: Hey guys, I'm on your side. Here, let me calmly provide answers to your off-topic and offensive generalizations about everyone in my profession...
Poster1: You're a stupid cop! Because all cops are stupid! Get a real job!
Poster2: Yeah, whatever you say doesn't matter. You like beating little kids who touch your police car.
LEO229: Guys, this is getting off-topic. But I'll indulge your cop-bashing and answer it...
Poster1: Look! He's losing! That's why he's saying it's off-topic!
Poster2: Nazi! Nazi! Nazi! Nazi! Sieg heil, 229!
LEO229: *locks thread*

ToJas

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
LEO229: Hey guys, I'm on your side. Here, let me calmly provide answers to your off-topic and offensive generalizations about everyone in my profession...
Poster2: Yeah, whatever you say doesn't matter. You like beating little kids who touch your police car.
LEO229: Guys, this is getting off-topic. But I'll indulge your cop-bashing and answer it...

Thank you.

tarzan1888

imported post

ToJas wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Thank you.

ToJas.....Imperialism2024 is a man.

I would stand shoulder to shoulder with him any time as I know from experience he is a man of principle.

Do I always agree with him...NO!

Do I always respect him...YOU BET!

This is one occasion where I absolutely agree with him, and want you to know that when he talks it is good to listen.

Tarzan

PS Thank you Imperialism2024, for the update as I missed it.

ToJas

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
ToJas wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Thank you.

I would stand shoulder to shoulder with him any time as I know from experience he is a man of principle.

This is one occasion where I absolutely agree with him, and want you to know that when he talks it is good to listen.

Tarzan

I assume my post was mis-interpreted... That was a very real expression of gratitude. I felt that what he posted was what I had been reading myself. Didn't mean for it to sound any other way.

tarzan1888

imported post

ToJas wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
ToJas wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Thank you.

Tarzan

I assume my post was mis-interpreted... That was a very real expression of gratitude. I felt that what he  posted was what I had been reading myself. Didn't mean for it to sound any other way.

I understood that.

I was jut adding some helpful, positive, re-enforcement.

I am sorry if you missed my intent.

Tarzan.

mzbk2l

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Anyhow, to those who are unfamiliar with all the uproar over LEO229's "oppressive" thread locking, here's a quick and exaggerated summary of how the threads went down:
That's funny stuff right there, and an excellent summary of the way far too many of those threads went down. :)

I enjoy spending a part of my day on OCDO; I hope it continues to be a valuable resource on the 'net for all of us.

Pointman

imported post

That is funny stuff. A person has to know the history for it to be funny, and it sure made me laugh.