• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Texas KIII TV 3 News video covers OpenCarry petition push in Texas

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/21587104.html

[See video inside link quoting OpenCarry.org's John Pierce]

Open Handgun Petition

Erik Rosales

(June 25, 2008) The group is called 'Open Carry' and spokeswoman [sic] Mike Stollenwerk says it would not result in Texans carrying guns in those floppy hip holsters like John Wayne in western movies.

"Modern gun owners carry their guns in modern holsters, which are typically made of black plastic with straps or clamps," Stollenwerk says. "It looks very normal."

He says many passersby would not even notice that a person was carrying a gun in public, and he says we have gotten so used to a wide variety of law enforcement officers...from police to security guards, carrying guns in the open, the idea of seeing civilians do it would not be a shock.

Texas outlawed the open carrying of firearms in the 1880's. In fact, enforcing the laws forbidding carrying firearms in public inside city limits was, for a time, one of the key duties of the Texas Rangers.

Stollenwerk says it would be a matter of 'personal preference,' and he says when it's hot in Texas during the summer, many gun owners feel uncomfortable carrying guns under their clothes.

"Some people think that open carry deters crime," Stollenwerk said. "But others say concealed carry is better because it allows (a potential criminal) to be surprised."

He says there is no research indicating whether concealed carry or open carry is better in stopping crime, but he says there is plenty of evidence that allowing citizens to carry guns is a deterrent to crime.

But opponents immediately jumped on the proposal, saying it would lead to a 'Wild West' situation.

"There is no evidence that suggests that 'open carry' would be a good idea," said Nina Vinik of the Legal Community Against Violence. "There is no evidence that it would make anyone safer, or that it would have any impact at all on crime."

Stollenwerk, who is a retired Army officer and was once stationed at Ft. Hood, says by definition, it would not be necessary to obtain a 'concealed handgun permit' to carry a handgun that would not be concealed.

"What Texas might want to do is go the 'middle option' and allow the people who hold the concealed carry permit to also open carry," he said.

So far, the proposal is still in the discussion phase, with Stollenwerk and other activists obtaining signatures on an on line petition. No bill allowing 'open carry' has been prepared for the upcoming session of the Legislature.

nancyrose64

imported post

I would like to sign the petition for texans to open carry. Please let me know how i can do this and get people in my community to sign also.

I live in a rural area. We have a bad snake problem and it would be nice to be able to strap up before i leave the house and not have to worry about hiding my weapon every time i get out of the vehicle.

Also, I was nearly a victim once and had to run to the house and get my gun when i could have taken care of things right then and there.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you. Have lots of friends and family that would support the open carry prevlige.

Nancy, Bellville, Texas

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

nancyrose64 wrote:
I would like to sign the petition for texans to open carry. Please let me know how i can do this and get people in my community to sign also.
we are at 11,226 and rising nancy - hit it and let's roll forward getting folks to sign on - if you have to go door to door, let's do it!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?texasoc

nancyrose64

imported post

Signed on sweetheart. I'm there.

Is there a form or something I can print out so I can take it around for signatures? I have hundreds of people that will sign.

Husband is attorney, and believe me, they need protection

Nancy

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

nancyrose64 wrote:
Signed on sweetheart. I'm there.

Is there a form or something I can print out so I can take it around for signatures? I have hundreds of people that will sign.

Husband is attorney, and believe me, they need protection

Nancy
Join the Tx Citizens defense legaue - just tell your neighbors where to go online.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

17868 Total Signatures
:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

From the news report: "There is no evidence that suggests that 'open carry' would be a good idea," said Nina Vinik of the Legal Community Against Violence. "There is no evidence that it would make anyone safer, or that it would have any impact at all on crime."

First, any intelligent person will tell you that is a lie. FACT: guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens deter crime.

Second, if OC wouldn't have any impact on crime at all, then why can't we have our right to OC back? No impact means no positive consequence, as well as no negative consequence. So... why am I not allowed to OC here in Texas?????????

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Hah, Mike, you catch this typo?

"The group is called 'Open Carry' and spokeswoman Mike Stollenwerk says it would not result in Texans carrying guns in those floppy hip holsters like John Wayne in western movies."